3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High idle... Factory service manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle... Factory service manual?

As you all know the motor will rev high to 1000 RPM at idle when it is cold outside. I am sure that on the PCM or otherwise there is a way to trigger this high idle even when it is not cold outside.

I'd like to do this while parked and running my (1200 watt continuous) inverter and also when sleeping in the truck... my throttle stick doesn't work too well because I have a regular cab and I move a lot in my sleep and have knocked the throttle stick!

I've found (so far) that a 1000 RPM is perfect for keeping the truck up to temp. even in fairly cold temps (15-20 F I think?).

Does anyone have the FSM on PDF I could check out to investigate this?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:04 AM

Re:High idle... Factory service manual?

I've been looking through my '03 service manual. There is a connector called "PTO Sense". It is apparently located under the hood near or on the firewall on the driver's side. It appears to be part of the harness that goes through the long plastic cover. It should be sticking out the driver's side of that cover, maybe with 8" of wire or so. I haven't looked at mine to verify that it's there.

I found nothing in the manual (so far) to say what you're supposed to do with it (12V or ground) or what it will do for you. 4wd switch sense and OD switch sense use ground, if that is any help.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:22 AM

erm... I suppose I should get my own FSM I'll put it on my XMAS list.

Are you guessing that maybe PTO is assuming that when you're using a 'power take off' the motor will want to rev up? (i don't know anything about PTO).
Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 AM

It would be very easy enough to put a multimeter to this sensor if I could locate it and from there just give it +12V or ground it and see what happens!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:47 PM

It is a connector that goes to the PCM. The "sensor" is in the PCM. My guess is it will raise the rpms for the PTO and regulate the fuel to maintain that rpm. There's probably a standard RPM expected by PTO accessories (like those on a tractor) but that's just a guess.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:09 PM

[quote author=Badunit link=board=49;threadid=22781;start=0#msg213588 date=1069699634]
It is a connector that goes to the PCM. The "sensor" is in the PCM. My guess is it will raise the rpms for the PTO and regulate the fuel to maintain that rpm. There's probably a standard RPM expected by PTO accessories (like those on a tractor) but that's just a guess.
[/quote]

Your guess sounds about right. This is what my Jeep did as part of the police package...

Do you think you could tell me which # or color wire it is or maybe take a picture of the FSM diagram or something.... and I'll be the guinea pig!

Hopefully it's not going to kick the RPMs up TOO high....
Old 11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that PTO wire is anything like the ones on the older rigs like my 96 with the 360, it does nothing other than tell the PCM that you are using a PTO and forget the emissions control during high idle. :-[

J-eh
Old 11-30-2003, 09:56 AM

Not sure, but it looks like those have a solenoid that pulls the throttle cable? I don't think we have a throttle cable...???
Old 11-30-2003, 05:55 PM

May be worth a phone call during normal business hours.

I got a kick out of their Automatic Ejection Systems for external power cords. Seems like one of those would put the "gremlins" out of business on those cold days when you forget to unplug the block heater; they've got one for air systems too.

Maybe we could ask them if they have a sensor that we could wear on our back pocket, and if the system detects the wrong driver: ejection!

Quick Reply: High idle... Factory service manual?