3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me pinpoint this problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pinpoint this problem!

Alright here we go, first off my truck is a 2003 cummins, I'm having a fuel problem. I've got an airdog 150, industrial injection 90hp injectors and bully dog triple dog. The truck runs rough, almost no black smoke, vibrates pretty bad and I can hear the airdog running from inside the cab while the engine is running, I know they're a little louder than what you'd expect new but I could never hear it over the exhaust and engine before. Seems to take longer to start when tank is below half, so the 1/4 tank issue comes in to play....

Some history: When I first bought the truck in 06 it had the exact same problem only I had stock injectors and just factory lift pump, I was still running the bullydog though. Turns out I had bad injector(s) and they were leaking oil into the case, thus installing injectors and lift pump.

Back to current problem, the truck seems to puff out a tiny amount of white smoke when idling but it is 30-40 degrees outside and I'm on nights for oilfield company so I haven't been able to check in warmer weather yet. I've been keeping an eye on oil level, sitting right at max level I can't remember if that's where it's been since last oil change so I'm pretty paranoid abou that. No codes come up but nothing was showing up when the injectors were leaking before. It seems like this all started happening right after I changed the filters on my airdog, it black smoked normal at first then as the days went buy it smoked less and less until a little puff comes out now....now I start thinkin a have faulty filters or I didn't put them on right which is unlikely but not out of the question. Hwy Milage seems to be normal (19-20mpg) but seems like every time I turn my truck on it's lost anywhere from 1/8th to 1/16th tank....I've been checking for leaks can't find any and don't see any puddles on the ground, checked the injector lines, seems to be dry... Is there any way to tell if there's a bad injector by looking at the ICP at idle? I know there's a lot of different factors but I just want to try and identify the problem before I take it to a shop and have them rail test it, I'm sure every shop will say the problem is very expensive and I need to replace everything.....I know that was a lot of reading and thanks for making it this far lol. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 AM

If it seemed to start right after changing the filters, you probably have an air leak around the filter area. This would cause all of the problems you listed. find the return line back to the fuel tank and put it in a gallon jug and looky see for air bubbles. A few every now and then after startup is ok, but after a minute of running should have none.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Check your rail pressure sensor. My truck did the same exact thing yours did. Bad rail pressure sensor.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Check your rail pressure sensor. My truck did the same exact thing yours did. Bad rail pressure sensor.

Both your replys sound pretty good, I can't check the filters at the moment I'm on a well pad if I spill diesel epa will throw me off lol. How do you check the rail sensor? Now when I check my dtc's, I get P32?> first and if I hit rescan P1932 comes up sometimes... or nothing at all comes up at all so it does sound like a sensor but definatly not ruling out the filters.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jcdevolution
Both your replys sound pretty good, I can't check the filters at the moment I'm on a well pad if I spill diesel epa will throw me off lol. How do you check the rail sensor? Now when I check my dtc's, I get P32?> first and if I hit rescan P1932 comes up sometimes... or nothing at all comes up at all so it does sound like a sensor but definatly not ruling out the filters.
Or its throwing the code because the airdog isn't delivering enough fuel because of a air leak.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jcdevolution

Thats tough if you dont have a spare. I had a spare off another motor I had and changed it out. Another way is to have a scan tool go through each injector shutting it off to check them....and I think some can check the rail sensor. Doubt if you have that on your job but if you can get to parts store they could prob. help.