3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! I'm being harassed by locals for smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I'm being harassed by locals for smoke!

I fired up my truck last night after getting home from Street Vibrations. Exhaust brake on as usual. I take off to do some errands and I'm sitting at a light.

I hear some dude yell "DISCUSTING!!!!! YOUR TRUCK IS BELCHING SMOKE!!!"

I take off from the light and catch him at the next light and politely asked him if his old beater Subaru has ever had a mechanical problem. He was ****** and drove off...

So here's the deal:

With my stock motor and Revo program my truck hazes at idle slightly when in gear. When the EB is on, it's ridiculous. I can't sit at a light with the windows down because the smoke comes inside. The hotter the weather, the worse it gets.

The Revo program also smokes like mad when I get on the throttle. With the TNT program the smoke is greatly reduced. When stock program is loaded, no smoke.

I've had this issue for a while. Changed fuel filters w/ no effect. Easy solution is to not run the EB until warmed up (so it doesn't engage at idle), but my preference is to just leave the switch on all the time.

What do you guys think?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One way of doing it is to keep torque management at stock, or mild. That will help. Lower power SW's, obviously, will help too.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM

I used to have this problem to, now I just keep the subs up and if they yell I smoke them more. I no longer get questioned! lol
Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
One way of doing it is to keep torque management at stock, or mild. That will help. Lower power SW's, obviously, will help too.
I don't have an issue with the smoke when I'm getting on it. That's to be expected. I've found that a little pressure helps in that department...

I'm more annoyed by the excessive haze, bordering on smoke at idle. It looks like a chimney on a house in the winter.

Literally.

I'm wondering if there's an injector issue, or if there's something else going on. It doesn't matter what brand of fuel I use, or which software level on the Smarty.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Stainless
I used to have this problem to, now I just keep the subs up and if they yell I smoke them more. I no longer get questioned! lol
Yeah, but here in Cali we have 1-800-EXHAUST

These nutbags driving around to hug different trees (and live in them if they're in Berkeley!) in their Subarus and Plug-in Priuses are only too happy to report nice innocent guys like us

I have to be careful or I'll get a ticket summoning me for an inspection, which at this point would be an expensive endeavor, if you get what I'm saying...
Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM

What can they do to us if we have no smog checks nor annual inspections?? When and if some one recieves a summons, can't you just adjust your mods so you don't produce any smoke, get inspected and then restore mods.

A few weeks ago it looked like a old lady was writing down my plate # 'cuz I did kinda 'cloud' her. She followed me ( I switched lanes several times, even took a couple turns) I didn't produce any more smoke at this point. Knock on wood, haven't heard anything YET.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM

SMOKE AT IDLE?? I have a smarty SR with REVO (no TNT) and neither of my trucks smoke or even haze at idle...they will dump smoke if you blip the throttle or rev it up a little, but definently NO SMOKE at idle. Hopefully someone with TNT and an EghBrake will awnser your original question.

If you go back to the stock setting does it still smoke???
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, I would think it would have to do with the aftermarket converter and valve body actually pulling down on the motor more at idle. Not an auto man so I could be wrong, but it seems as though just the simple load of being in gear is causing it to see just enough load to start fueling. Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
What can they do to us if we have no smog checks nor annual inspections?? When and if some one recieves a summons, can't you just adjust your mods so you don't produce any smoke, get inspected and then restore mods.

A few weeks ago it looked like a old lady was writing down my plate # 'cuz I did kinda 'cloud' her. She followed me ( I switched lanes several times, even took a couple turns) I didn't produce any more smoke at this point. Knock on wood, haven't heard anything YET.
Well, I know the CHP is doing roadside inspections looking for smog equipment. If you don't have a cat, you get a fine. I'm sure the same goes for a missing DPF.

My truck is nearly stock so it's easy to reprogram for no smoke. However, if they're looking for my cat, well, I dunno. I lost it somewhere along the line...

That's what I mean about being expensive. The Magnaflow diesel cats aren't CARB certified (IIRC they're $600-$700) and the ones from Chrysler are $$$$$!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCLeary
Well, I know the CHP is doing roadside inspections looking for smog equipment. If you don't have a cat, you get a fine. I'm sure the same goes for a missing DPF.
Where in the Bay Area are they doing this? The North Bay I see nothing to the effects of diesel engines and emmission issues.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Here in San Diego, especially near the border, and in Clairemont (suburb with heavy asian population) where ricers are all over, I have personally been through, and seen the CHP conducting roadside checkpoints (like for DUI's but in the daytime). Don't think for a second that these CHP officers are not savey to performance mods on diesels....when i went through the officer came to my window, saw the guages and asked what kinda programmer i was running, I told him that my truck is stock....he walked to the back of my truck and asked me to rev it a couple times...then he sent me on my way. it took about 20seconds, but if I had smarty loaded there is no doupt that i would have been pulled off to the side with all the other ricers for further inspection.....scary!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM

My truck has been hazing for the last year. It's a pretty good haze at idle after being parked overnight, and at night with head lights behind me, it fogs, even with the TST off, and the Smarty removed. I have figured it was one or more bad injectors, so I had them flow tested at the dealer last year. They tested fine. So I have run lots of injector cleaner throught the truck, but it hasn't helped much.

This morning after letting the truck sit for the weekend, I started it to go to work, and it wasn't running on 6 cylinders. It was chugging and blowing smoke this time, not hazing. It is the first time it has done that. I always figured it was the injectors, but they really haven't been a problem until now. I ordered 6 new ones this morning.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by redeyedracer
Here in San Diego, especially near the border, and in Clairemont (suburb with heavy asian population) where ricers are all over, I have personally been through, and seen the CHP conducting roadside checkpoints (like for DUI's but in the daytime). Don't think for a second that these CHP officers are not savey to performance mods on diesels....when i went through the officer came to my window, saw the guages and asked what kinda programmer i was running, I told him that my truck is stock....he walked to the back of my truck and asked me to rev it a couple times...then he sent me on my way. it took about 20seconds, but if I had smarty loaded there is no doupt that i would have been pulled off to the side with all the other ricers for further inspection.....scary!!!
I have a bully dog pmt and if I was caught in that situation, easy, push the stock button done. As with the cat, I bought my truck used from a Dodge dealership, mia.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I love my smoke and want more. I drive so it somkes very little, but once in a while I'll get the person behind me waving there hand and telling me what an Edit I am. Then I let the coal roll and smoke them out. I was pulled over by the chp and was told that I could get a ticket for the smoke. I said ok I'll take on if you can cite the code for it. I was told I was a smart Edit and to get on my way.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by rockjeep
I love my smoke and want more. I drive so it somkes very little, but once in a while I'll get the person behind me waving there hand and telling me what an Edit I am. Then I let the coal roll and smoke them out. I was pulled over by the chp and was told that I could get a ticket for the smoke. I said ok I'll take on if you can cite the code for it. I was told I was a smart Edit and to get on my way.
So there's no code to write for a citation. I went as far as doing a stack to keep the coal more in the air then as it fell it'd be spread out.

Before when I had stock location, a couple of guys at work said they had to drive around the cloud when leaving the parking lot, they did think it was cool, though. That's when I decided to install the stack, so I wouldn't smoke out and cause a blind spot.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm being harassed by locals for smoke!