3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP... DTT T/C triggered code P1740

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP... DTT T/C triggered code P1740

Has anyone else had P1740 and know how to get rid of it? I recently had a DTT tranny upgrade, and drove the truck from the DTT installer shop located in the Phoenix area back to my home in San Diego. About one mile from my house, the CEL came on.

The code reads P1740(Torque Converter Clutch Inductive Signature Malfunction). I tried to clear it 3 times using the scanner at Autozone, but it stayed on. Also tried disconnecting both batteries for about 2 minutes and it still has the CEL.

The tranny works just great but I'm not diggin the CEL at all, especially if I need to take it to the dealer for unrelated warranty work.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM

I'd be taking the truck back to where the transmission was installed, if the fault is hot (won't clear) it may be as simple as a sensor being unplugged (ie an internal speed sensor). The torque converter is just spinnin in there, it doesn't have any electrical outputs that would set a code, or any tone rings that need to be read, good luck.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by tweeter
I'd be taking the truck back to where the transmission was installed
I do agree with you, but SD to Phoenix trips aren't too easy finding the time to do so. For $3400, there shouldn't be a CEL though.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
I do agree with you, but SD to Phoenix trips aren't too easy finding the time to do so. For $3400, there shouldn't be a CEL though.

It could be a lot of things, and as I've found out, sometimes it's truck specifit, like you have a bad transmission ground, that would be DC's issue not the trans guy, just because maybe it moved a little bit, and it changed. There's so much that can go wrong.

I work in biotech, there is no 99% it's 100% all the time or every batch we screw up (every 2 days) is 40million down the drain. So yeah, adds up to a ton of money. It's almost impossible to do it perfect. I mean I'm the same way, if I take something some where it should work, like yours does, yes there is a code being thrown but that's rare. Look at the thread about the dealer who forgot to put the oil plug in???? Common, now that is just stuipd

Call them up, they may be able to tell you what's wrong. When did the code show up? On the way home? It's odd that if it wasn't on when you left, but when you were driving??
Old 05-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
When did the code show up? On the way home? It's odd that if it wasn't on when you left, but when you were driving??
I was driving from Phoenix(where the work was done) to my home in San Diego, the day after the tranny work. The code didn't show up until until I was a mile away from my house. It's about a 350 mile trip or so. Kinda weird.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:33 PM

That's odd, like I said kinda like when you fire a motor up, if somethings gonna go, it's gonna go in the first few minutes, the fact that it didn't show up till then, is odd. Maybe it's something that has to be driven. I know some of the codes you cycle start the truck a few times and they go away.

In fact I had a 336 (Cam due to TST) and the engine light went away. And come to think of it, I have a brand new scanner I"ve never used. hmmmmm, I'm going to have to play when I get home tonight

I do believe the check engine light will go off, but the code is still there. NOt 100% on that though.