3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grudge match.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grudge match.....

I just got off the phone with a buddy who owns a new LBZ Dmax. We have now set a grudge match up for Friday nite, October 6th at the strip. His has basically the same equipment as mine, but with all the bells and whistles.

Now that I have run my mouth, do I really even have a shot? Both trucks are box stock except mine has an intake on it. Any ideas on how to launch the thing in stock form? He runs a drag car quite frequently, he probably will be able to cut a little better light than me.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:15 PM

sorry but your gonna see his tailgate. the new chevys are faster stock but that can be changed
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 PM

unfourtunatly you will get beat. dodges are not for racing unless cranked up .put a load behind both and you will cream him ! crank it up i have and it is a big difference .
Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

play some dirty pool and get a programmer on the downlow. those 06's are pretty quick and who really wants to hear a duramax guy running his mouth about beating a dodge. you gotta do what you gotta do to win.

ps. i wont tell anyone

brett
Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 PM

well out here i can go down to the local 4wheel parts and they have a little thing that will plug into your truck and it will down load a bullydog program to see if you like it and then in 2 weeks it will delete its self and return your truck back to stock.. they call it "try it before you buy it" kinda neet if you are just gonna go beat a dmax at the track.. ohh and they do it for free!!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:00 PM

It's not two week for the "try before you buy", It's more like 4 turn key hours! That means as long as the key is in the "ON" position it is counting down. Unfourtanetly they only download the "Econ/Tow" mode. The day I had it done I raced my buddy in an 06 Duracrap 2x4 single cab and he just beat me by 1/2 a truck length in the 1/4. So, to make a long story short I hope you WHOOOOP HIS AS!@#$!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I helped a friend do exactly that with his '06 2500. He had the bullydog temporary program put on his truck. NOTHING else was done to the truck-stock down to the tires and original air filter element. I got a 14.96 or so out of it. This was on a 2wd-you'll go quicker with a 4wd. Leave it in 4 hi and don't worry about switching it to 2wd in the middle of the run.

Here's what you do: Get the program downloaded, go somewhere out of the way, and practice launching. You DON'T want to launch at full throttle against the converter with the programmer, but you can bring it up to 2200 rpm. The reason I say that is stock trucks floored against the brakes will stall the converter at 2200 rpm, with no damage. With the programmer, the truck will be capable of producing more torque, which will in turn produce a higher stall speed. By limiting rpm against the brakes to 2200, you'll be limiting initial torque to no more than what a stock truck can produce.

Bring it up to 2200 against the brake, let off the brake and floor it. If the tires break loose a significant amount, experiment with different rates of flooring it, until you can bring it to the verge of loosing traction without actually doing that.

LET THE TRANSMISSION COOL DOWN FOR A GOOD LENGTH OF TIME BETWEEN SESSIONS OF DOING THIS!!!!!! This kind of launch generates TREMENDOUS amounts of heat in the torque converter, which is absorbed by the fluid. You MUST allow the cooler to dissipate this, or you will overheat and damage the transmission. Idling in neutral is the best way to let it cool down, as the 48re does not pump fluid to the converter in park, but does in neutral. A 4 to 5 minute cooldown should suffice, with occasional longer periods if you keep doing this for a while.

You won't believe the performance you can get with a box and a good 4wd launch.

Last tip-do all of this in tow/haul mode. Go wear him out!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by TRX24V
It's not two week for the "try before you buy", It's more like 4 turn key hours! That means as long as the key is in the "ON" position it is counting down. Unfourtanetly they only download the "Econ/Tow" mode. The day I had it done I raced my buddy in an 06 Duracrap 2x4 single cab and he just beat me by 1/2 a truck length in the 1/4. So, to make a long story short I hope you WHOOOOP HIS AS!@#$!!!!!!!

well thats lame! the guy told me it would last for 2 weeks!! im not gonna do it for 4 key turns.. that means ill have to leave my truck ideling for hours on end so i dont loose the program.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

well sounds like its time to invest in one of them. dont go to crazy cause you dont want him to know your modded, but something thatll let him get a taste of some soot. i bought my downloader when i had 500 miles and have loved every second. superchips great and affordable, but i keep hearing awesome things about the bullydog so i might have to switch before long...or wait till the smarty, but i think i need to build my trans first

brett
Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Floorman
.put a load behind both and you will cream him ! crank it up i have and it is a big difference .

negatory. Maybe uphill or something, but in a drag race the duramax will still walk the cummins with a trailer stock for stock. Havent seen a test that shows the cummins winning a drag race with a trailer yet
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you read the fine print you will also see that sometimes the others have lower gears than the Cummins tested! The truth is that the Dmax is a beast but the Cummins will do the same thing year after year the Dmax will not last at the levels it is turned up to from the factory. Just go visit there forums and see all the problems they are having. That is why the 07 trucks will have a all new block... Go get them! Download a program and practice a FEW launches as stated above in 4wd and give'em he**!!! It will be close but 10 years from now your truck will still do it while his is sitting on blocks...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies Gents! Is the Bully trial available at all Bully dealers? Sounds like just the ticket for me. Download it Thursday and play Friday night. If I read the info right it is for four hours with the Key in "on". Not for four key cycles.

I could download it Thursday, drive the truck home, practice, and park it. Load the car on the trailer Friday afternoon, drive to the track a half hour away. Play a few times and it will return itself to normal sometime the next morning? Flip any codes when this happens? I'd like to beat him, or just not get my doors sucked off; now that I went and ran my mouth.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:31 AM

yep all bullydog dealers can do the try before you buy. Get that done then drive it home and have it sit. with the downloader on tow that maxipad wont even come close to you. thats 70hp/150tq. You will have so much of an advantage. i wouldnt even take the time to practice. your 4 key stroke hours are important.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by v8440
I helped a friend do exactly that with his '06 2500. He had the bullydog temporary program put on his truck. NOTHING else was done to the truck-stock down to the tires and original air filter element. I got a 14.96 or so out of it. This was on a 2wd-you'll go quicker with a 4wd. Leave it in 4 hi and don't worry about switching it to 2wd in the middle of the run.
You won't believe the performance you can get with a box and a good 4wd launch.
Do you think a manual truck should be launched in 4WD?
My truck is heavy - almost 10K#, so I have lots of traction.
Obviously, I can spin the rears in 1st, but starting in 2nd is faster - even though I have to slip the clutch coming out of the hole to help the turbo light.
I know I could get a hard launch if I left at 3000 RPM and sidestepped the clutch, but I don't want to abuse my service truck...
Old 09-30-2006, 02:18 PM

I have an '05 with a 6spd w/ Bigg Hoss bundle. I have quite a few oppurtunities to play redlight to redlight because I live outside of Detroit (for 23 more months hopefully) and I found that if I put it into 3rd, give it some boost, and let go of the clutch (not pop the clutch) it takes off like a rocket. It will get squirrelly in the rear if I'm not careful. I tried 2nd gear launches, but it revs out to quickly. Hopefully this may help. I do all of this in 2wd.

Quick Reply: Grudge match.....