3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got my steering stabilizer today.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the Donahoe Racing Suspension compared to the Thuren set up? Have you guys compared off road and certain on road conditions? I am curious since it's a suspension like the big suspension companies for Dodge.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by firemansdodge
How is the Donahoe Racing Suspension compared to the Thuren set up?

It doesn't. My system blows his away.

I had my brother take my truck to our company mechanic last week to clear a CEL. When he returned with it he handed me my keys and said "here are the keys to your good riding and good stopping truck." I knew mine road significantly better than his but apparently it stops better also.

[/quote]Have you guys compared off road and certain on road conditions? I am curious since it's a suspension like the big suspension companies for Dodge.[/quote]

There is no comparison. The difference is staggering. In his truck you need a kidney belt unless you're crawling through down trails. Like most other lift companies the suspension is setup too stiff.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
WTHEck... I am calling Don right now!! He was supposed to send me a sticker!!!!! How'd you get one!!! Wait I don't want to know!!!

Looks good!!!

I have more of them, too....
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I have more of them, too....
You hoser!!!! Wish I was Special!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM

I trade you one for your twins? Shoot, I'm feeling generous today and will give you one for each turbo!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

I trade you one for your twins? Shoot, I'm feeling generous today and will give you one for each turbo!
DEAL!!! I just need your shipping address!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

I installed Thurens' S/S yesterday. I noticed today that when I turn to the left that I feel I wasn't getting full steering wheel turn than the right side. So when I got home. With the tires straight I turned the wheel all the way over left w/ a liitle over one turn and to the right 1 and quarter turn. Should I move the clamp in about 1/2" to get even turning radius? I also checked the nitogen level and my guage reads 90 psi. So as I am reading I should bump it up to 125 psi? I also get a little play in the steering after I installed it. Is that due to not enough nitrogen in the shock?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed Thurens' S/S yesterday. I noticed today that when I turn to the left that I feel I wasn't getting full steering wheel turn than the right side. So when I got home. With the tires straight I turned the wheel all the way over left w/ a liitle over one turn and to the right 1 and quarter turn. Should I move the clamp in about 1/2" to get even turning radius? I also checked the nitogen level and my guage reads 90 psi. So as I am reading I should bump it up to 125 psi? I also get a little play in the steering after I installed it. Is that due to not enough nitrogen in the shock?
hope you have access to a nitrogen bottle cause every time you check that shock you are letting out nitrogen..
usually you tune your regulator to the psi you want then fire that psi into the shock and call it good...if you want to change it drain the nitrogen out and reset up your regulator...this is how it is on my jeep buggys Fox air shock.....
Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM

I keep pressures between 100-150 p.s.i. The lower you go the less effective the damper becomes. The higher you go the more push you get in the steering. I'd mount it up with what it ships with then see if any changes need to be made.

Install is easy. Just make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead before starting. Bolt the shock body to the axle mount (passenger side) then position the clamp on the drag link so the shock is at mid-stroke with the wheels pointed straight. When you're done you should have about 4.5" of shock shaft showing.

I have a dumb question What does this stabilizer do exactly? Is this a must have for a lifted truck?
As you know Pauly, I PM'd you about my little lift project and was wondering if I need to add one of these to the list?
This isn't the same as cylinder assist steering is it? If it's not, is it necessary to have both when lifting one of our trucks?
I'm planning on a Carli Starter pack with 20x8.5 with 35" Toyo MT's. Anybody have any recommendations as to what all extras I might need with the lift?
Sorry to hijack Pauly, I need all the help I can get!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by coontz0473
I have a dumb question What does this stabilizer do exactly? Is this a must have for a lifted truck?
As you know Pauly, I PM'd you about my little lift project and was wondering if I need to add one of these to the list?
This isn't the same as cylinder assist steering is it? If it's not, is it necessary to have both when lifting one of our trucks?
I'm planning on a Carli Starter pack with 20x8.5 with 35" Toyo MT's. Anybody have any recommendations as to what all extras I might need with the lift?
Sorry to hijack Pauly, I need all the help I can get!

Hijack away, I like talking about this stuff. We could actually use some more of it on the site.

Basically, the steering stabilizer helps control wheel movement over bumps that translates into steering wheel shimmy. Larger wheels and tires, like 35" MTs on 20" Rockstars for instance, make the stock damper work a lot harder than it was designed to, and it usually gives up the ghost prematurely. A unit like the Thuren offering is designed for abuse. If I were you I'd start with just the Starter Kit. If you start to notice loose steering or lots of shimmy get a better stabilizer.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

the extra stress without the s/s can also lead to premature steering box failure.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Carli steering gear brace

Originally Posted by Lsufan78
the extra stress without the s/s can also lead to premature steering box failure.
Defiant/Carli's offering a steering gear brace similiar to the SS model which should extend our gearbox life. It's compatible with their rockshield also. Nice quality.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM

I centered the damper's stroke with the wheels pointed straight ahead, which I think leaves 4.25" of shaft showing with the wheels pointed straight ahead.

Also, I'd bump up that pressure to 125 p.s.i. then tune from there.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:45 PM

Oh Yeah!!!!!

Originally Posted by 53 ******
hope you have access to a nitrogen bottle cause every time you check that shock you are letting out nitrogen..
usually you tune your regulator to the psi you want then fire that psi into the shock and call it good...if you want to change it drain the nitrogen out and reset up your regulator...this is how it is on my jeep buggys Fox air shock.....
When you charge what type of fitting are you using? I use a "standard" type chuck and loose a little pressue when I pull it off. Because of this, I set the regulator a "little" higher than I want to go.

I've heard of a coupler that will prevent this pressure loss on disconnect but haven't been able to put my hands on one yet.

Do you know of a source for the coupler or do you use a different type chuck?

Sorry, little hi-jack.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MacMan
When you charge what type of fitting are you using? I use a "standard" type chuck and loose a little pressue when I pull it off. Because of this, I set the regulator a "little" higher than I want to go.

I've heard of a coupler that will prevent this pressure loss on disconnect but haven't been able to put my hands on one yet.

Do you know of a source for the coupler or do you use a different type chuck?

Sorry, little hi-jack.
I do it just like you

Quick Reply: Got my steering stabilizer today.....