3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got dusted by a POWER STROKE

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by localnet
He must have been chipped. I drove my buddies 05 6.0 the other day, totally stock. Nice truck, but no where near the power of my CTD's. It drove like a gasser, and it was loud compared to mine?. I thought they were supposed to be quiet, at least in the cab? It actually was kind of annoying in the sound department, didn't know what to make of it? But, I drive truck for a living, just used to a real diesel I guess. Just don't know what to make of it, the ford.

Mike
Must have been after one of his reflashes!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It's kinda like the young gunfighter in the Old West.

When you think you're the quickest,......there's always some one faster.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:26 AM

That guys bad!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is nothing new, stock vs stock, everyone knows the 6.0 is faster - and I'm the first guy to tell you I'd never drive a 6.0. CTD's will need some extra juice to keep up with them. Sorry boys, thats the way it is. Our CTD's shine in the towing department since they make their torque earlier in the curve, and of course dependability/durability.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Bob Munden Rules!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

All I know is that a stock 2000 ford with intake and exhaust and my 01 dodge with intake, exhaust, and a lift are dead even. And they've got a 30hp advantage on me.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 PM

How embarrassing, to be beaten a by a flower poke.

Big Blue, did the 2000 model fords have 265hp or something?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:46 PM

No, my comment about the number of miles the FORD engine would last was based on my opinion of the PowerStroke! I haven't see any PowerStrokes get even CLOSE to the number of miles that the CTDs can take. All the time I see reports of CTDs passing 1 million, 800,000, whatever and they still run just fine and dandy. Sure, external components wear out (sometimes), but the basic engine has never been apart. I've seen a lot of stock PowerStrokes fall apart at or before 200k.

I figure these trucks are good for 1 million miles or so if you use them as you're meant to. These trucks were built for long hauls with heavy loads. I figure that, even if I keep the thing stock, with my current driving I'll probably get about 400k out of the motor because there are way too many short trips. Of course, if the engine passes 600k and is still running like a champ, you won't hear me complaining!

As for the effect bombing has on the truck, assuming that you use the potential often enough (and what's the point in having it if you don't use it?) yeah, I would say that you'll be losing miles exponentially. The higher temperatures and pressures are hard on all components. This is one of the reasons why the version of our engine that goes in Medium Duty trucks makes less power. Less power means lower temps and pressures, and since it's likely to be at or near full throttle a lot of the time, this improves reliability.

Anyway, I'm just sounding like an old man going on. Way I see it, I just bought this truck and I expect it to be my daily driver/work truck for the next 400,000 miles or so. It's a lot of fun and very capable just the way it is. If I want to show off in terms of speed, that's what my project car is for. My truck shows off by being dependable day after day and taking everything I throw at it.

But, this IS the bombing section, so I'm just going to shut up right now.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:00 PM

My 2001 4x4 qcsb 4.10 auto would beat any 2001 or older 7.3 stock for stock and it only had 235 compared to 275 ford. Mechanic told me the dodge would get better mileage but ford's will outrun them. So we raced mine against a ford auto 4.10 and another with 3.73 3 times each and 3 truck lenght difference all six times. It shocked me more than it did him I believe. The ford's will spin the tires and seem fast but when you get to about 35mph the dodge would outpull until about 80 and the powerstroke would start to close the gap until it shutdown and just over 90. I also raced a clown at work with a new 6.0 and my 305/555 stayed right with him, granted he had an extra 100hp and was at 90. His truck is no longer in service, he has been driving his gasser the last two months.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:32 AM

Well after a little research I have found out a little more about the ford that dusted me seems there might be some truth in some of your statements . this guy is suposed to have a box of some kind that is adjustable from the cab and he also runs propane don't know wich he used but the motor did have a noticeable differant sound and the second light versus the first. He also has been talking about this and it was not the braging I would have exspected . Seems he is telling his friends that if you get beside a 600 Cummins that you better not hessitate to use what you have!!!!( but he really didn't need all that he had !!)
Old 11-11-2004, 07:13 AM

Wildbill, you ever been to Waynesville NC? It's about 35 miles east of Asheville.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:18 AM

No I haven't been there other than passing through I live in Wilson NC and that is right on I95 about 20 miles south of Rocky Mount or 75 miles North of Fayetville
Old 11-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Well, if you ever get out this way keep your eyes peeled for a black F250 that smokes alot, cause that's me.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 PM
tcr

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THE 6.0 WILL BEAT US WHEN THEIR NOT IN THE SHOP, AND THAT IS STOCK OR MODIFIED. I'VE GOT A FRIENDS 6.0 W/ ONLY A HYPERTECH PROGRAMMER, HE WILL KEEP UP W/ ME ALL DAY LONG. NO EXHAUST OR AIR INTAKE. THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE FACT THAT THESE FORDS WONT STAY OUT OF THE SHOP. A FORD 6.0 W/ THE EXACT SAME MODS AS A NEW CTD WILL WIN IF IT DOESN'T BREAK.....EVERY TIME! BUT I'LL TAKE THE CTD ANY DAY.

Quick Reply: Got dusted by a POWER STROKE