3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got back from camping in Yosemite, blew out turbo/manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got back from camping in Yosemite, blew out turbo/manifold gasket

Well, a week trip turned into a 4 night trip. The family & I hit Yosemite for the first time. We ventured down into the valley one time, we could not see squat because of smoke.

Anyway, on the way back I noticed a slight exhaust leak. Right before I hit the Grapevine while going South, it was blown out bad (noisy). More annoying than the noise, was how bad it was for boost. Boost sucked bad and I had to cruise the slow lane w/the big rigs.

Anyone else ever loose this gasket?
Attached Thumbnails got back from camping in Yosemite, blew out turbo/manifold gasket-p1010056.jpg   got back from camping in Yosemite, blew out turbo/manifold gasket-p1010057.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Never seen that one go before although I'm sure someone else has. I'd take that one over a head gasket anyday.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Mine did the same thing last week. Had to drive 300 miles with half a gasket. I went back to the factory style gasket.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted in your other thread John. My gasket has been fine so far, no issues.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 AM

Guys, HTT just got a new gasket that is similar to the factory one (stamped SS) but sized for the SS housings ports. So if you have this problem with the fiber gasket you can get one from them.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 AM

Jeez you dont have very good luck with camping do you....i never seen the gasket blow out like that before.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

I'm surprised they're still making those rotten fiber gaskets.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Gasket

Dumb question here but was the turbo properly torqued to the exhaust manifold. I'm surprised they supplied a fiber gasket and not a metal one. I remember when I purchased my turbo I had to pay through the nose at the dealer as one was not supplied. After reading you post I'm glad I did. Sorry about your problem.

L8r,........dogger
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

With your luck you might want to start camping a little closer to home... Sorry had to say it..

That's a new one for me, I've seen lots of gaskets go but never that one.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 04DEEZELRAM
Jeez you dont have very good luck with camping do you....i never seen the gasket blow out like that before.
You can say that again!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Been there before!

Man that looks spooky familiar!!!

That crumbly compressive gasket doesn't come with the HTT turbos anymore I don't think, as mentioned above.

Mine spit out in the exact same spot while at the Pismo sand drags, and yeah, kinda loud..

I'd call up HTT and mention the situation, and I'm sure they will get one of their new steel gaskets in an envelope for ya' ASAP.

I dropped the turbo down about 1/4", pushed/broke out all the old gasket(very easy), and notched the new gaskets bolt holes so it could slide in around the studs..

HTH
Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Man,,,,the first time I laid eyes on that fiber HTT gasket I laughed and put the stock one back in when I did my turbo swap. Stock gaskets are reusable to an extent. I would like to have the SS stamped gasket though from HTT. About time they wisened up.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM

That stupid garbage HTT fiber gasket just blew out on me as well. How long does it take them to ship em out if you have an issue? I was leaving on an 800 mile trip to St. Anthony dunes in Idaho, got 70 miles from home and then it blew out. Loud and annoying.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Hello White97. I could not wait, so I got a new steel stocker from Dodge & put it in (only cost $2.00). It took me an awful long time to put in I must say. I have an ATS manifold, and the back inside/rear stud was coming out with the nut. It is so hard to get to that lil' bugger because the shape of the turbo right under the flange. I finally ended up taking the whole manifold off & cranked the stud in there nice & tight. I also found a cheap 15mm wrench & cut it in half (unless you have some shorties).

If I just took the manifold/intake/heater hose off from the get go, it would have saved me a bunch of time.

I lost so much boost because that other gasket is so thick. If ya' get a gasket blow out, it can make a huge hole that steals all your boost away.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

If you get a new gasket from Cummins get the undivided gasket. It has a little larger hole in it and you dont have to worry about it leaking around the divider. It wont hurt spool up enough to worry about.

Quick Reply: got back from camping in Yosemite, blew out turbo/manifold gasket