3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

goerend TC/VB

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goerend TC/VB

I'm order a tc/vb and apply lever this week . My truck is stock except for a smarty exhust and intake . My question is how should I get the TC set up 89% or 91% ? Low stall? I can't take this stock tranny slug any longer
Old 11-15-2008, 05:57 PM

I'd recommend the looser converter. Too tight and your truck will be sluggish...

I wanted the tighter one, but the shop that did the work didn't recommend it. I went with the looser one and don't regret it.

The truck may throw codes more often with the tighter converter as the ECM does not sense lockup. The converter will be so efficient that there's no significant rpm drop when the lockup signal happens. I have to clear codes from time to time with my Smarty, especially if I'm driving in tow/haul or with the eb on at around 35-40 a lot...
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Do you happen to know what the stock TC is rated at for efficiency? It feels like it can't be more than about 70%...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by JCLeary
I'd recommend the looser converter. Too tight and your truck will be sluggish...

I wanted the tighter one, but the shop that did the work didn't recommend it. I went with the looser one and don't regret it.

The truck may throw codes more often with the tighter converter as the ECM does not sense lockup. The converter will be so efficient that there's no significant rpm drop when the lockup signal happens. I have to clear codes from time to time with my Smarty, especially if I'm driving in tow/haul or with the eb on at around 35-40 a lot...
This condition is only true for the 07 trucks..it does not apply to the earlier model year trucks.

Bamaboy does not have his sig. filled out so I do not know what year truck it is.

Bamaboy, the only thing I can say is to figure out how you are gonna configure your truck, what turbo your gonna run and talk to the tranny builders direct, they will tell you what you need.

Richard