3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Getting ready to tow 15k lbs, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:39 AM
XBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getting ready to tow 15k lbs, need advice.

Hey guys,

I am going to by hauling a car stacker with 2 cars in it, estimated to be around 15K lbs loaded. I am afraid to blow my tranny, so here is what I have and let me know what modifications or precaustions you guys would recommend:

2005 3500 Dodge CTD Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed
5" Turbo back exhaust
Diablosport Programmer
35" tires BFG
PML larger/finned aluminum tranny oil pan

Now, when I tow this rig, should I revert back to my factory tune or will the "tow" tune still be safe enough for my transmission?

Last time I towed a boat, my tranny temps were around 215F, this is from the factory sensor read through the DiabloSport Programmer via OBD2.

What temps are too high for my trans? Also when ever I tow something my engine temp goes a little past half way, instead of staying half way as it usually does, is this normal?

I really appreciate any help and our recommendations.

The trailer is a bumper pull, not a 5th wheel BTW.

-George
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 AM

George, I routinely pull a 16,000# toyhauler 5th wheel through the mountains of Az. I built my tranny @ 108,000 miles not out of necessity but as a preventitive measure. Before that I would tow in my tow mode and keep an eye on my temps. Just take it easy, keep an eye on your temps and you should be ok. My engine temps are in line with yours, maybe a little warmer when it's 100+ here in Az.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 AM
XBS

So what temps are you seeing on your trans when towing? what is considered too hot? And lastly, are you also running the diablosport?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 AM

I pull an 11 mile 6% grade several times during the summers and on hot days my tranny temp sometimes gets close to 220 by the time I get to the top. I pulled that grade for 4 years with a stock 47re. My tranny builder told me that atf begins to break down at about 240+. If you are worried about it check your fluid to see if it has turned brown and has a burnt smell to it. I pull a bobcat, dump trailer, 500 gal water trailer etc. 3-4 days a week so I service my transmission every 15-20k miles.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM

Well,

The rating for the stock tow hitch is only 10,000 lbs. Going 15,000 lbs on a bumper pull is quite a bit.

Towing with the 35s puts a tad more strain on everything. i didn't see what gearing you had, but no matter what you have, you must be sure not to slip the trans. Tow/Haul mode is your friend...

Make sure to let everything cool down after you stop and want to shut-down. Will significantly help you turbo life.

I would probably set the tuner for tow mode. Don't know what you drive around everyday with, but the higher levels may be a little much...

If you get the opportunity, I would look into changing out your fluids. Don't know when the last time you serviced the transmission was, but if it has been a while, then changing the fluids may show you if you currently have a problem and ensure max protection for the pull....
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM

you didnt mention it, but make sure you have at the minimum a trailer brake controller. I love my prodigy. If you plan on hauling all the time with this thing, i would invest in a pacbrake. I towed 11klbs across contry on my stock tranny and i had no problems. It didnt like the steep grades in the rockys but it still made it up.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you run a lot of air in your back tires. 35's have tall sidewalls and get wishy washy with 15K pushing on the bumper. Make very certain that the trailer is loaded with plenty of tongue weight as 15K on the bumper loaded improperly is enough load to literally push you sideways off the highway if it starts wagging.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:12 PM
XBS

Thats for the suggestions, really helps. Let me provide some more info on my setup:

-Do have a Prodigy brake controller, it works great!
-I change my fluids very often, Oil every 5K and trans every 10K
-I usually drive around in the Tow mode for better fuel economy
-I will also be running Air bags in the rear to help lvl the load.

A few more questions I have...

-Where can I find a hitch rated for a 15K load for my truck?
-Is the factory trans temp and engine temp gauge accurate enough? I am using my Diablo Predator to view the Live Data.
-What temp is too hot for my engine, I am assuming 230F on the trans and its time to back off/pull over, what about the engine temp?

Thanks for the help guys!!

-George
Old 06-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Drop hitch?

I have the putnam XDR. Great hitch, if you have the stock reciever you might have to do some grinding on the cross tube to install it.
Rated at 15K and 16K.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:29 PM
XBS

Is there a receiver that is rated for 15k+ ?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM
XBS

Looks like putnam as an entire line of XDR stuff rated for 15K lbs, looks like this should suffice.

Is this a good brand? Never heard of them before was going to go with Reese.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.trailerhitches.com/traile...s5xdrhitch.cfm

This link above is one option on where to buy. Also here is another thread where PourinDiesel took some pics of his Putnam XDR install. (he sledpulls with his) It is very beefy and actually uses the stock cross tube too......almost like having 2 hitches in one. But you do have to cut off the stock receiver off of the stock crosstube to make room for the Putnam. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=100590

Hope this helps. I love mine and don't worry about any sort of failure from it. I tow my Toyhauler with about 1800 lbs of tongue weight on mine.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 AM

It'll be fine. Watch the temps and dont try to race up any hills and you'll be OK.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 PM
XBS

So what should my temps be at, and at what temp is it time to pull over and cool down?

Both for engine and tranny.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XBS
Is there a receiver that is rated for 15k+ ?
Look at http://www.torklift.com/ They rate their 'superhitch' at 17k!

I just installed mine, mostly for the extension to tow the boat while hauling the camper. I have yet to tow with it; time, etc. It appears EXTREMELY strong and is EXTREMELY HEAVY. Shipping weight was over 100lb!

Tony

Quick Reply: Getting ready to tow 15k lbs, need advice.