3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Georend or Dunrite?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Georend or Dunrite?

Like the title says, what would ya'll do? It will be a triple disc, vb, and input shafts maybe new clutches. Micheal at Hot Rod Diesels will be doing the install.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 AM

I'm going with Goerend. Mostly because I spoke to him on the phone and he's a standup guy. Haven't heard much about Dunrite on this forum, but that doesn't make it a bad product. The warranty with Goerend's converter is awesome too.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks T-boe, dunrite tripple has lifetime warranty also
Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Pesonally I would run a HTS valve body with a Suncoast converter... That combo is holding up to 800hp...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 PM

I say just call them and see which one gives you the warm fuzzies. They all have good products. Although, Luken has pretty good experience when it comes to this stuff.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Goerend for me. But the valve body is actually a Dunrite item that Dave makes himself now that they couldn't keep up with the orders from Dave alone. At least that is what Dave told me, he and the owner of Duntite are pals of some sort and after a couple years of Dave always ordering their valvebodys he told Dave to just make them himself. But I do know that Dave dyno tests every one hooked to an engine on a test stand to set shift points and harshness of shift. He can change it any way you like. I am not sure if Dunrite does this. But Dave makes his own converters and they are awesome!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input, I've talked to Dave and will probably order his stuff since there seems to be more of his parts running around, and no negative comments about his parts that I can find. Keep the comments coming
Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunrite can custom make your converter I am running a triple disk and his valve body no problems yet great shifts firm but not hard
Old 02-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Im with "Luken" on this one, HTS stuff is top notch, i love mine...
Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Dunrite 3 disc was custom ordered and has done just fine. HotRodDiesels also uses Dunrite VB kits and does their own custom setup depending on what you are going to do.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

well, I have sung much praise for Goerends, and you can't go wrong there. Dave is a super nice guy, full of information and not affraid to share it. His prices are great, and he stands behind his product. how can you go wrong!?

BUT, if you're having Mike at HRD do the install, you might be better off using Dunrite stuff... mainly because if you have a problem with it, it'll be less hassle to get it taken care of because Mike is the one building the tranny. He's built a LOT of these trannies now, and hasn't had any problems with any of them (knocking on wood! LOL)

I've ridden in his drag truck that went 11.2 on fuel, and the tranny runs/shifts awesome and is standing up to a lot of abuse. He's learned a lot of tricks and indiosyncrasies (sp?) in and about the valve body by messing with the tranny in his truck.

Quite impressive actually, and after talking with Mike at length about the automatics in these trucks, I've decided that when/if I need an automatic built/installed, I'm going to HRD. He ALMOST talked me into converting my current truck!

again, NOTHING against Goerend Bros!!!!! but, if I were in your shoes, I'd use the Dunrite converter and have Mike set up the valve body for you. Tell him how you want it to shift, and he'll do it
Old 02-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Whats working for me

Personaly I dont know anyone with a Dunrite, but I personally have a Georend tranny in my truck. Like ive said before its a big ***** with lots of power ( somewhere around 600 plus. havent made it to the dyno with new trans. going off similar truck) and my trans works like a wet dream. My temps never get above 150 while running down the road and pulling around 15- 20,000 pounds it never climbs more than 10 - 20 more. The trans works well enough that I broke my rear drive shaft when I raced a new Shelby 500. I had him off the line and about 100 feet into it the drive shaft said no more. Like i said as for the other tranny you will have to go off other people, as far as a Georend tranny goes im going to put one in the race truck im currently building. By the way STAY AWAY FROM ATS, more than likely you will be sorry. Already been down that road and it isnt going to happen again.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
well, I have sung much praise for Goerends, and you can't go wrong there. Dave is a super nice guy, full of information and not affraid to share it. His prices are great, and he stands behind his product. how can you go wrong!?

BUT, if you're having Mike at HRD do the install, you might be better off using Dunrite stuff... mainly because if you have a problem with it, it'll be less hassle to get it taken care of because Mike is the one building the tranny. He's built a LOT of these trannies now, and hasn't had any problems with any of them (knocking on wood! LOL)

I've ridden in his drag truck that went 11.2 on fuel, and the tranny runs/shifts awesome and is standing up to a lot of abuse. He's learned a lot of tricks and indiosyncrasies (sp?) in and about the valve body by messing with the tranny in his truck.

Quite impressive actually, and after talking with Mike at length about the automatics in these trucks, I've decided that when/if I need an automatic built/installed, I'm going to HRD. He ALMOST talked me into converting my current truck!

again, NOTHING against Goerend Bros!!!!! but, if I were in your shoes, I'd use the Dunrite converter and have Mike set up the valve body for you. Tell him how you want it to shift, and he'll do it
Mine was one of the first fully built 48re TC/Transmissions that Michael at HRD did. I know he spent time in Canada at Piers working with them when they were going to build their own transmissions. He told me he was going to try some of his own ideas incorporated with what he had learned and already knew about performance transmissions. He ordered custom stall TC and VB from Dunrite, billet shafts from Piers, clutches, other parts, had parts customed coated and machined parts to his spec at his shop. I have not had experience with any of the other well known builders, but I know that mine has been rock solid no matter what I do to it. Daily driving is smooth, shifts are at stock points without any mushy feeling like stock. At the track I just don't ever worry about the tc/trans, launch at 20-25psi, push the lockup button as soon as I have launched and hang on. Have around 40,000 miles on the tc/trans now and maybe 150-200 hard track launches. The parts are only part of a good tc/trans combo, the builder is maybe the most important part.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM

I went with the full billet from Goerends Bros. I opted for the ATS billet flexplate as well. It was a close toss up between them and HTS. Both are very straight up dealers.... I'll let everyone know of it is when I get it the first week of Mar.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 PM

i give dave my thanks, he just built me one and i have nothing to complain about. he has amazing tech support if anything is going wrong. he called me today to insure everything was going ok. my vote is for goerend but thats my .02

Quick Reply: Georend or Dunrite?