3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Tank Vent Mod??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank Vent Mod??

Been reading on the 3rd gen forums for a couple days, and keep seeing about this fuel tank vent mod. What is it and what does it do??

I know my second gen would fill to the brim, and i just picked up my 06 yesterday and havent even gotten around too filling up the tank yet.

its great when you trade in a truck with 1/2 a gallon in the tank and get 35 gallons back!!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ramtd02
Been reading on the 3rd gen forums for a couple days, and keep seeing about this fuel tank vent mod. What is it and what does it do??

I know my second gen would fill to the brim, and i just picked up my 06 yesterday and havent even gotten around too filling up the tank yet.

its great when you trade in a truck with 1/2 a gallon in the tank and get 35 gallons back!!
The fuel tank vent mod moves the fuel tank vent to the highest spot on the tank. It allows you to fill up the extra 3-4 gals quickly unlike now, you have to let it drip for 10 minutes to get that last bit. Im about to do it, and its HIGHLY recommended
Old 05-03-2006, 11:41 AM

The website is http://www.innertruck.com/ under fuel systems.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
The fuel tank vent mod moves the fuel tank vent to the highest spot on the tank. It allows you to fill up the extra 3-4 gals quickly unlike now, you have to let it drip for 10 minutes to get that last bit. Im about to do it, and its HIGHLY recommended
So it puts the vent too the same place on the 2nd gens then?? The vent mine was about 2 inches from the opening on the filler.

Thanks, for the info guys, sounds like i may have too do this mod, because i hate standing at the pumps longer than a ferd or duracrap!!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM

So it puts the vent too the same place on the 2nd gens then?? The vent mine was about 2 inches from the opening on the filler.

Thanks, for the info guys, sounds like i may have too do this mod, because i hate standing at the pumps longer than a ferd or duracrap!!
no...but yes??

The vent hose gets re-routed back up the the filler neck but the vent on the tank gets moved.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 AM

ic ic...thanks 8mpg. I have some days off maybe i will do it soon.....do you have too drop the tank or anything?? Just wondering so i can plan on how much fuel i want in there!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 PM

ic ic...thanks 8mpg. I have some days off maybe i will do it soon.....do you have too drop the tank or anything?? Just wondering so i can plan on how much fuel i want in there!
yes you need to drop the tank or take off the bed. I would drive the truck past the DTE. When it his zero, you still got a good ways to go. Lots of people have driven 40+ miles past it. Id drive a good 15-20 to make life easier and dump the extra fuel.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Greatest cheap mod you can possibly do to these trucks. Shaves almost 10 minutes off your fill time if you always fill to the neck. Dropping the tank may seem hard, but it really isn't with mild wrenching skills. Took me about an hour total to do by my lonesome, in the driveway. I think the longbed takes a BIT longer.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Dropping the tank is no big deal too me...as long as there isnt 35 gallons of fuel in it...LOL. Seems like something i will do tomorrow, i am putting in guages, and my fifth wheel hitch tomorrow, so i will already be in the driveway....'cause the truck dont fit in the garage
Old 05-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought one and after trying twice to install the blasted thing I finally just gave up. I never could get the stupid electrical connections on top of the tank disconnected. I just couldn't physically get to them well enough to grab them and disconnect them. That job is made for someone with very long and very skinny arms.

That mod is without a doubt the most difficult and frustrating modification that I have ever attempted to do to my truck (or any other truck for that matter).

If you can't tell, I'm still bitter about it. If I ever decide to give it another shot I'm just going to take the bed off. I think that would be much easier than dropping the tank.

Swapping the engine on my old '81 Chevy was easier than trying to disconnect those two connections on top of the tank.

-StillTakingALongTimeToFillUpHoss
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Picture is worth a thousand words!!

Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss

If you can't tell, I'm still bitter about it. If I ever decide to give it another shot I'm just going to take the bed off. I think that would be much easier than dropping the tank.

DangHoss how you gonna lift the bed with all that concrete in it? You got a crane or something
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 AM

I bought one and after trying twice to install the blasted thing I finally just gave up. I never could get the stupid electrical connections on top of the tank disconnected. I just couldn't physically get to them well enough to grab them and disconnect them. That job is made for someone with very long and very skinny arms.

That mod is without a doubt the most difficult and frustrating modification that I have ever attempted to do to my truck (or any other truck for that matter).

Swapping the engine on my old '81 Chevy was easier than trying to disconnect those two connections on top of the tank.

Well i dont have long skinny arms, but i do have side cutters
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 AM

Give you a little hint i used (My arms are short and stubby just like my 5'5" body) I loosened the strap nuts to almost the end of the stud. It dropped the tank almost two inches giving my ham hands more room to work in!!!!! Whole job took about two hours. Did it by myself, use my motorcycle jack to lower and raise the tank.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 AM

Hey there Oops, did you re-use the gasket on the big plastic nut (I did) and what did your pick-up tube filter screen look like. I'm asking because when I first got my truck I dropped the tank and cleaned it out of crud and water. To bad I didn't know about the vent mod at the time, but I did correct the open fore and aft vent elbows at the time supplied by mother mopar . Hell it's spring cleaning so I might as well order the vent mod and get my diesel bath

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Vent Mod??