3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel system problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel system problem??

I got smarty loaded onto my truck with stock fuel system and I got it on 5 and it does it on lower setttings to. I can be a dead stop and floor it and when the turbo starts to light up super hard and the tires fixing to break loose the whole truck just falls on its face and flatlines!! Whats going on? I can let out and get back into it and it will do fine but then on top end it kinda does it a little again
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Sounds like you're in need of a fuel system in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need a fuel pressure gauge so you can diagnose if it is fuel related....I could set smarty on sw5 and go up a freeway on ramp as hard as I want..the fuel pressure would go to "0" but it never fell on it's face.....
Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
you need a fuel pressure gauge so you can diagnose if it is fuel related....I could set smarty on sw5 and go up a freeway on ramp as hard as I want..the fuel pressure would go to "0" but it never fell on it's face.....
Yep he needs a fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on. He does have a 305 motor though and those had the engine mounted pump which are supposedly more prone to failure than the tank mounted pump. I know that mine fell on it's face a couple times with a Triple Dog on the middle setting but that was when my pump was getting REALLY weak.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
Yep he needs a fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on. He does have a 305 motor though and those had the engine mounted pump which are supposedly more prone to failure than the tank mounted pump. I know that mine fell on it's face a couple times with a Triple Dog on the middle setting but that was when my pump was getting REALLY weak.
yeah your right....I love having a fuel pressure gauge..it must be the dirt head mechanic in me..having a fp gauge is a GREAT diagnosing tool..then add the Rail pressure and you have even more info to use.
lots of guy may disagree with me but I think FP gagues are just as important as a Pyro.....all tho your truck wont melt down from not knowing your FP like it could without a pyro
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM

I have the quad rp/fp guage...it's a nice little unit....although i prefer analogue...didnt want to look like the spaceshuttle....

I think my in tank unit is dying slowly....at idle, fp is between 0-6psi (used to hold 9psi)....airdog 150 (+ vent kit) is scheduled for install tomorrow...hopping it'll hold at least 12+psi wot with Smarty TnT.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Ok I am going to go ahead and order the quad fp/rp gauge.. So since I have a 04 with the 305hp motor I have a engine mounted fuel pump? I know the fuel filter housing is up there.. When I order a after market fuel system like a airdog 150 I can delete the stock fuel pump and filter housing off the truck correct? Can I still put the larger vulcan draw straw in my tank?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM

If you get the AD150, you can delete the stock fuel pump and filter housing..and use the drawstraw....

For me, my fuel pump is sitll in the tank, and i ordered a filter elimination kit from GDP (approx $30)...and it allowed me to remove the stock filtration / water in fuel system...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM

the L/P on my truck died today I think I was driving along and the throttle went dead kind like a vp truck will do when the vp44 is going bad truck rolled to a stop and died I restarted the truck and drove about 20ft and it turned off again I listened and cannot hear the L/P cycle I just ordered a raptor 150 and a big line kit. I have only had the truck a few days and in my opinion I thought it was lacking on power even for a stock truck hopefully it was because of the week L/P.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Where exactly is my stock l/p on my truck at? Is it by the fuel filter bowl? When I doin my fuel system I plan on doing a big line kit, ad150 with the vulcan big straw that comes with it. So only reason Ill have to drop my tank is the big straw and to hook fuel lines up to the tank right?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by blwnsmke
Where exactly is my stock l/p on my truck at? Is it by the fuel filter bowl? When I doin my fuel system I plan on doing a big line kit, ad150 with the vulcan big straw that comes with it. So only reason Ill have to drop my tank is the big straw and to hook fuel lines up to the tank right?
yes thats all you have to do...it does not even matter... if you plan to install the 1/2" pick-up then you have to drop the tank regardless..then you just bypass the rest of the stock stuff
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Is it a pain to removed the stock filter houseing and pump? Where is the stock lp
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Are both fp and rp important or is one more important then the other.. I know fuel is always important just didn't know which was more important.. I ordered a quad fp/rp gauges.. So say if I am drain my fp down to like 0 will my rail pressure be low also?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 PM

I know on a 03 and I think on a 04 the fuel pump is mounted on the block next to the fuel filter
Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Ok Ill look tomorrow. Is it mounted towards front of motor next to the filter bowl or behind it towards the firewall.. Never messed with a diesel fuel pump before so not sure what Im looking for.. Does it look like a stock gas fuel pump??

Quick Reply: fuel system problem??