3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First oil report

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone know what all the levels should be on an oil report?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull U 2
I just got my first oil sample done and was a little surprised by the results. I added no oil in between changes and the mileage on this oil was 5371. I drive this truck pretty hard in stop and go traffic everyday, off road in the desert and some high rpm's at times. I figured for sure it would be alot worse because of the oil and filter I use. I know you guys will probably laugh and some may even tell me I'm an idiot but I go to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes. Yes it's Pennzoil and a Fram filter. Now that everyone's done laughing, the only number that was high was the Iron. I had this sample done by Blackstone Labs and the average number for iron was 24 and mine was 41. They said all my other #'s looked fine and were below the average which is good. Where would the iron be coming from??? Any ideas???

Also, before anyone asks or suggests it, I will be switching oils and filter brands for my next change just to see the difference or if there will be any difference.

If I can figure it out I'll post the whole report so you guys can see it if you want.
Ok guys....let me have it!!!!!
Don't worry, the iron is due to you using the wrong oil. It's wearing out your engine that's all.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why did you have to bash him? He was just looking to further his knowledge. It would have sounded better to say," The high iron in your sample may be due to the type of oil you are using. You should be using a CI-4 oil." At least he is driving a Dodge CTD. Be kind to your fellow CTD owner.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles do you have on the engine? The iron might be from the machining when it was build and break-in.
I have have use Chevron Delo oil for most my life and had great luck. Make sure its CI- or better.
I would use a better lub oil filter also the trucks are worth the exta money.
I have been a Marine Engineer for over 35 years and it makes a big diffense were you take the sample also, you should be taking it out of line or dip stick tube and not out of the bottom of the pan.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you do, stop using the Pennzoil AKA Fram filters or it might not matter what your other readings are. I would hope Jiffy Lube would at least use a "diesel" rated oil. I think the numbers are just from the engine breaking in. Do another UOA at about 50K.