3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Finally got my Steering wheel controls working with Mp3 Player!!

Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Steering Wheel controls now working with aftermarket stereo!

Hey people, I finally got the nerve to install the PAC SWI-X remote control radio interface so that I could once again use the factory steering wheel mounted controls for my JVC Mp3 player. Install was pretty straight forward,but the only thing I did not like(hence the 3 weeks it took me to install the thing) was I had to cut a wire, in the steering column to hook the interface to. I tried to splice the wire in, but only half of the steering wheel switches would work. There is only one wire used for 6 functions, that detects differences in resistance to operate different stereo functions. So by not cutting the wire, the remaining run of wire that goes to the factory radio plug in senses false differences in resistance, rendering one of the switches useless. So I held my breath and cut it...If I have to, I can always reconnect it, if I ever go back to the factory radio. Well it works great, I now can play a 150 song CD(Mp3), a regular CD,or plug in my 30 Gig.portable Mp3 Player Hard Drive that I have over 4000 songs on, and blast it while I'm cruising! ...All without having to take my hands off the wheel!Check out my photo gallery to see how the IR remote sensor was installed. O ya...it cost me about $55.00 US, brand new off Ebay, but most of the better stereo shops in the US carry them... as little as mid $40.'s Mark.

This is a link to the thread I started on the unit including a picture.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=41784