3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Steering Wheel Controls on Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Controls on Aftermarket Stereo

Hi there! I've got my JVC MP3 CD deck working just fine in my truck with the factory Infinity Stereo setup. But I lost the use of the steering wheel mounted controls. So I ended up buying the PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface to correct this problem. My dilema is: according to the instructions, I must cut the proper wire coming from the switches in the steering column,and hook it up to the interface. I sure don't want to do this while truck is under warranty. Has anyone installed this interface without cutting this wire? Is there a way to perhaps pull that wire out of the plug end and connect it that way,in case a return to 100% stock is needed in the future? Thanks,Mark.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:54 PM

Can't answer any of your questions, but let us know how well this works....it's the only thing stopping me from getting a nicer deck; I love the s/w contrls.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:34 PM

When I bought it, I assumed it would plug in some how,like the stereo wiring harness adapter. Hopefully some one has found a way to do it without damaging the factory wiring. There's only 3 wires to hook up: power,ground, and the one from the switches from the stering column...sounds very simple(if you're willing to cut a wire,that is.).
Old 03-30-2004, 05:27 PM

So why can't you just use one of those crimp on connectors that pierces the wire and lets you splice another wire into it? Even if you have to cut a wire I don't see the big deal... you can always solder it back together easily enough. C'mon and get that thing hooked up so you can let us know how it works... I'm considering one of those as well.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM

The instructions want the wire cut near the ignition switch,the interface connected to the switch side,and the other piece leading to plug is to be insulated. I think there might be some kind of inline resistors further down the wire,or else I should be able to pull it out from the factory radio plug.With my luck,I'd cut the wrong wire and there's not alot of room to work in that area behind the key cylinder....but ya, I'm chicken of doing a butcher job to a new truck. I might try unplugging wire anyway and hooking it up from that location...can't hurt!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Please let us know how it turns out. I have been wanting a new deck as well, but haven't found anything that would work with the steering wheel controls. I like the controls and don't want to give them up.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:31 PM

I would try and just add one of those conectors that crimps onto the wires and allows you to use a male butt conector. just do it right up next to the end of the harness, if it doesnt work take the connector off and you wont even know because it doesnt cut the wire. thats what i would try