3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FASS Purchase coming up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS Purchase coming up

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the FASS pump (95 gph), I'm going to buy it from TST. They don't sell the entire kit, just the pump. Is this a safe set up? Do I need the entire kit?

Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:03 PM

Ramirezh, You need a pickup tube and lots of fuel lines and pushlok connectors. I'd get the full kit ....are you doing it yourself? If you have access to everything then go for it....The pickup is just black iron pipe with a threaded end to be able to adjust the pick up distance from the bottom of the tank. The fuel line is available at truck parts shops as are push locks. I'd find all the parts before I bought the pump....The fuel lines on the FASS are BIG compared to stock. ks
Old 02-21-2006, 09:06 PM

Hey ABC, no, I won't be doing it myself. I would rather leave it to the pro's.

So that's a vote for the entire kit...would you happen to know how much the entire kit costs? Does it offer me any additional benefits? Does getting the pump only offer any downsides?

Thanks for responding!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody sell the "complete" kit? As in with the push locks, lines etc. I am not quite to that stage yet but when I am I want to run the card once for everything, and I am only gettin the pump, no filters, when I do it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Ramirezh, Are you sure that when TST says they have pump only they don't mean the FASS without the filters. I've only heard of them selling the complete kit. ks
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 AM

I've only heard of them selling two versions. W/ filters or w/o them. Other than that it is a complete kit w/ lines, wiring, and any hardware you need. I think they are referring to the pump only kit. That's what I have and it had everything I needed for the install including the plate to run the fuel through the stock fuel filter canister...
Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Chapter President

Caution! If you get the kit, don't use the pushlock connector to the fuel tank tube! Heard of AND experienced that the thing leaks and will not prime, recommend you clamp the hose directly to the tube!

Installation is a breeze, don't think you should pay someone to do it if you're at ALL able to turn a wrnech.....
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I've only heard of them selling two versions. W/ filters or w/o them. Other than that it is a complete kit w/ lines, wiring, and any hardware you need. I think they are referring to the pump only kit. That's what I have and it had everything I needed for the install including the plate to run the fuel through the stock fuel filter canister...
Yes, that's the "pump" I was referring to...sorry I wasn't more clear.

Originally Posted by Rauschbo
Installation is a breeze, don't think you should pay someone to do it if you're at ALL able to turn a wrnech.....
Ok, that made me laugh this morning I'll keep that in mind...my fear isn't so much in my lack of technical ability as much as my lack of confidence (read: freaking out, being paranoid I did something wrong after the install)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Alright...so assuming I do install this myself...are the instructions any good? I'm very much "by the book" when it comes to installations. I don't like to improvise on something I have purchased as a proven solution to "get it to work".
Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 PM

It's pretty simple but if you have a short bed it's a pain getting the fuel line off of the tank. Other than that it's a breeze...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Its a long bed...alright...I think I may bite the bullet and do it in my drive way....I called my mechanic about it and he charges a couple hundred bucks to do it and he doesn't like the idea of just the pump kit. He wants the entire kit with filters and all...but man...that's an extra 300 bucks! I was really liking the number over at TST's website, I don't feel all that comfortable spending that much more money if I don't really NEED it. Does he know something I don't?

As far as installation, my biggest concern is....can I mess anything up? Of course I'm going to be following the instructions, but is it easy to screw something up?

Sorry about the constant install doubts, this will be my most complex install on my truck to date (engine-wise), before this, my AFE intake had that title.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Chapter President

The full kit was quite simple, I would imagine the pump-only would be even easier -
- somebody might chime in about relocating the pump by the tank, away from the OEM pump location? (I'm not sure where the FASS pump goes in the pump-only configuration...?) -
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM

Guys, is the COMPLETE FASS kit worth it? I figure the pump kit is 400, the FASS is 200 more (MSRP from Diesepp.com). If I do the install myself, I obviously would avoid installation costs. So, is it worth the 200 bucks?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Chapter President

I LIKE the way you think!! f you install it yourself, you can save enough to make the upgrade.....

Tough question, I've read several posts that say the filtration system is far superior on the FASS - always a good thing, and I've read posts where others think the extra $$ for the full set up is a "waste".

I'm a piece-of-mind guy, and liked the extra filtration, as well as the ease of swapping the filter out.

Toughest part of the installation? getting the $%^*#%& fuel line off of the fuel tank! NOTE!! Make sure you crack the connection at the VP44 FIRST, this "breaks the seal" and allows the line to drain to the tank - do it the OTHER way, and you end up with a nice puddle of fuel on your driveway - just ask my wife...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Alright bringing this one back for a minute....I already placed the order for the full kit, haven't received it yet.

Last time I was at the track I ran with the following settings:

TST 7/4 EZ 4

Now, at those settings I could have been draining the rail. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so I don't know for sure. My question is, assuming I was draining it, with the new pump I should give it the fuel its calling for, so should I....can I expect a better run???

Quick Reply: FASS Purchase coming up