3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Exhaust Drone and help from Diesel Power Products!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Drone and help from Diesel Power Products!

I just returned from a much needed vacation in Montana from the 200 degree in Las Vegas!

Prior to leaving I had a Magna Flow exhaust system from rpmoutlet.com installed. BAD MOVE! This exhaust had such a bad drone that it literally hurt my teeth to drive 70MPH. To say I was "upset" was an understatement!

I called RPM outlet and they said "they had NEVER heard of this" ! Yea right! I then called Magnaflow and they offered to have me return (at my expense) the exhaust (after I had just spent $100.00 to have it installed). I am NOT happy at this point!

In frustration I called http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com and spoke with Jeff regarding the drone. VERY helpful! He was extremely patient with me even though I was "having a cow" about my drone. He suggested installing an Aeroturbine muffler and mounting it as far forward as possible. OK....I had them overnight it to me ( I was leaving on my trip in 48 hours)
Next day I had the muffler shop install the Aeroturbine, however he did not mount it as far forward as possible as I told him. When I picked the truck I noticed immediatly that the drone was cut in half but I still have a drone.....hmmmm.

I called back to diesel power products and this time spoke with Dave. He said to go back to the muffler shop and have them move the Aeroturbine as far forward and even went out and took a digital picture and emailed it to me so I could show my muffler guy where it should be! Hmmm.....my muffler guy is going to think I fell out of my truck and hit my head when I tell him to re-mount the muffler. (He did!)

Lo and behold with the Aeroturbine muffler moved as far forward as it could go, my drone was 85% deminished! After my trip to Montana and 2500 miles later the drone is pretty much disappeared (or I am just more used to it).

I really recommend the folks at diesel power products and want to thank them for going above and beyond the "call of duty" in helping me with my problem !

BTW......MPG Update....my last tank of fuel from mid Wyoming to Las Vegas and misc driving in Vegas put me at 18.5ish MPG, 5500 miles on the odometer and an Edge, Amsoil in the diffs and transfer case, Redline in the 6 speed, and Delo in the engine. This lightly loaded and driving the speed limit. NOT! more like 80 to 85! My truck seems to get in the mood about 80ish!

The truck is running very smooth! Life is good......
Old 07-12-2004, 05:45 PM

Glad to hear your truck is working so well now... can I ask you what kind of mileage you were getting before the mods? I am thinking of adding the AeroTurbine as well and was wondering if there is any improvement in MPG.

P.S. Any way you can post that pic that Dave emailed you? It might help those of us who are interested in doing this to our rigs. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:42 PM

The Aeroturbine is small enough that it can fit between the cross member and body, so mount it directly on the down pipe as soon as you can under the truck. In this position you will get the most benefit from the Aeroturbine.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:41 PM

BiggRigg600....RE: mileage. It seems like I was getting in the high 16's before I added the Amsoil, exhaust, Edge, air filter, etc. The exhaust seemd to really add some noticible power to the truck.

RE: exhaust. If I had it to do over again? I would keep the stock exhaust and just replace the muffler with an Aeroturbine muffler.

Right now I am in "non Bomb mode" (I have a sick motorcycle) subject to change momentarily!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 PM

BiggRigg600....BTW I was driving much more conservately befor the mods
Old 07-14-2004, 11:58 AM

hummmm

I have the 4" Magnaflow and have the drone when I pull a load. Otherwise, it's not a problem. If I move the muffler up I wonder if it will help too, interesting....
I'm heading to the exhaust shop thursday to get my gauges installed (pyro & boost). I may just have them move it. Mine gets so bad that I get a head ache and my teeth hurt.

BTW,
Before the Edge Ez, I got 15-16mpg in the city/limited commute on hwy (w/ stop and go on hwy) and 18-20 on the hwy here in Colorado.
With the Edge, I'm getting 20 around town w/ commute hwy use. I can't wait to hit the hwy now. I have 330mi on 1/2 tank of fuel. The Edge was the best thing I have ever done on a Diesel. My old powerchoke would have loved this thing.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 AM

I got one of them Jegs 4" stainless systems.....and man! , that was a noisy system at 50 mph, and 2100 to about 2250 rpm. 2 noisy for me, so I got a Magnaflow 30" and swapped mufflers.....the Jegs is 18".....Still to noisy, so I re-installed the 18" Jegs along with the 30" Magnaflow, and added a 5" Bigdog tip..........now thats more like it....louder than stock.........stock was to quiet.. I also made my own intake elbow system with some AFE elbows, a piece of leftover stainless 4" pipe..........Turbo whistles nice.