3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

exhaust clamp......vibration solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry exhaust clamp......vibration solutions?

well the exhaust system i have is very short, and it seems with it being so short and the maybe the "drone" im getting out of it, it seems to be loosening the ubolt exhaust clamp i have, i just got done tightening it up, and im wondering if a band clamp would be better, im sure it would be, but is there a specific sort of band clamp i have a couple here at the house, the ones that i have are about 4" wide and require 2 bolts to go through it. I havent put it on yet, but im wondering if i should just double nut the ubolt system i have now, or just put some high temp locktite on em or just say to H E DOUBLE L with it and go for the band clamp????? its not a serious issue, just getting tired of crawling under the truck to tighten it up
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM

I have SS band clamps on my entire exhaust (well, except for a 5" clamp at the downpipe - wasn't available in SS). I would NEVER, EVER use the U-bolt style clamps again. Have you ever tried to disassemble a system with U-bolt clamps, without a Sawzall? The band clamps seal better, hold tighter, and come apart easier. There's two styles - one for butt joints and one for slip joints. Be sure to use the correct one for the application (all stock connections are slip-joints - horribly crimped together by the stock U-bolt clamps). I use the Torca clamps that NAPA carries.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:13 AM

hey Tom, when you used the band clamp, did you cut the outer pipe along it's length for an inch or two so when you clamped down the gap would close and seal better? Or did you just reef the clamp down on the outer pipe?
I want to get a band clamp and seal the exhaust leak I'm getting at the cat-inlet where it mates with the downpipe (when using the inline exhaust brake I buids up back-pressure causing leaks in this area).
Old 11-28-2005, 09:16 AM

have it welded...no more clamps
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 AM

did you cut the outer pipe along it's length for an inch or two
No - the clamp itself is thin enough that when you tighten down, it conforms around the joint and seals it. If you want, you can use a little muffler/tailpipe sealant around the joint before clamping it - then there's no chance of a leak.