3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

electronic boost controllers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electronic boost controllers??

i haven heard of anyone using one, why not?? will it work?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM

just bumping
Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

Lots of fuel boxes people run have built in boost fooling features. And alot of people use them type in quad boost fooler in the search feature and see what all pops up.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

Are you pertaining to like the boost controller for the dmax compared to the boost fooler for dodge pretty much the same thing.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
He is talking about an HKS or Greedy Boost controller. They aren't cheap that is for sure. Got one for my other car just haven't put it on. Diesels unlike gasser can control boost somewhat by the amount of fuel that is put into the motor and are not as sensitive in some ways. That being said they are really not needed.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 PM

but wouldnt keeping the wastegate shut till full boost help for spool up and acceleration. i understand about the fuel controlling boost but to me it seems like a boost controller would still help alot. correct me if im wrong
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Wastegate is not actuaded till truck passes the preset level so this would not be a benefit. This might benefit someone using a external type wastegate (blow off valve) like most ricers do but to us internal wastegated guys not much need.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 PM

thanks, that makes sense now
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

A well set up wastegate controller can do more than limit boost. It can allow you to run a smaller turbo for quick spool and use the wastegate on the top end to get your drive pressures in check. I have the stock turbo hitting 42 PSI around 2300 and by 3200 the wastegate is around 80% open. I put a zip tie on the shaft so it moved to the spot where it was at the longest stroke. I found at 42 PSI boost it kept my EGT's within check at the end of the quarter and with the wastegate open it helped with the top end. I am extremely far from a turbo expert but I hope this makes sense. You can reach a point in exhaust flow that the turbo becomes a major restriction and you need to bypass some of the exhaust gas to get the manifold pressure down.

I hope a real turbo expert will read this and let me know if I am full of crap. It makes sense to me anyway.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
Wastegate is not actuaded till truck passes the preset level so this would not be a benefit. This might benefit someone using a external type wastegate (blow off valve) like most ricers do but to us internal wastegated guys not much need.
It could still be a benefit for someone that wants to have complete control over their max boost pressures. Seems like a big expense just to control max boost though.

BTW - External WG's are completely different from BOV's. An external WG allows the extra exhaust/drive pressure to be re-routed around the turbine wheel. A BOV relieves boost pressure in the intake system when the throttle is let up quickly. Instead of BOV's we just bark the turbo instead.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 AM
HOV

Don't 04.5+ trucks already have electronic boost control? Boost fooling devices or downloaded programs can manipulate the electric wastegate exactly as is required.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOV
Don't 04.5+ trucks already have electronic boost control? Boost fooling devices or downloaded programs can manipulate the electric wastegate exactly as is required.
Yes they do, but we have no control over it. Boost fooling basically just disables the WG altogether. That's the difference between "boost control" and "boost fooling".
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
HOV

Boost fooling modifies the signal between the ECU and the electronic wastegate, holding it shut longer than normal. But it doesn't disable the wastegate, or that would be rather disastrous.

This is exactly what an EBC does. There's no other way to control boost levels... right? What am I missing conceptually?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOV
Boost fooling modifies the signal between the ECU and the electronic wastegate, holding it shut longer than normal. But it doesn't disable the wastegate, or that would be rather disastrous.

This is exactly what an EBC does. There's no other way to control boost levels... right? What am I missing conceptually?
Nope. The WG is disabled all together with a boost fooler. It can be disastrous if you have enough fuel to spin it over 40-45psi, but most people with a stock turbo don't.

The only case where this might not be true is with some of the Smarty programs. They seem to have figured out how to limit the boost at a slightly higher level than stock, but they're the only ones. With other boost fooling devices you get a completely disabled WG. Why do you think different trucks run different levels of max boost while running the same exact brand boost fooler?

There are other ways to control boost besides an EBC. Boost levels can also be controlled mechanically.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
HOV

Hey man, I do respect your knowledge but I think we should dig up some more info on this one. It's not passing the common sense test for me right now but I am not afraid to admit I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: electronic boost controllers??