3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Electric Fans on 3rd Gens

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tree DR
Have you ever noticed how much air is flowing trough the radiator when your at idle? Must be why the fan clutch engages to keep the ac condencer working. With a fluid coupler you aren't going to spin fast enough to keep up with the air flow from forward motion hence the restiction. If you ever moniter the IAT the hotter the motor the hoter the IAT not because of the turbo or the temps would drop off every time there was no boost. The turbo does increase the temp when the boost increases. It's the radiator heating up the intercooler because there is no air flow throught it. Must be why there a big gap between the inter cooler and the radiator to let some of the air get through, because the radiator fan isn't pulling it through the intercooler.
I don't see what you're getting at? It's not restrictive because it's behind the radiator.

The IAT increases with engine temp because the IAT sensor is inside the engine compartment.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Chapter President

IAT intake air temp. Is that at the filter box or somewhere else?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Chapter President

Electically monitored

Originally Posted by isbeinside
i dont think it would be hard to make a setup i have seen them on sled pullers, but the concern would be if you want to stare at the check engine light all the time. the fan clutch is monitored and electrically locked up by the ecm
My buddies 04.5 doesn't have the fan connected and it doesn't throw any codes?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:38 PM

I monitor it at the intake and dont notice a drop in temp till driving wether it be from air flow or pressure at a idle it increases and cools while diiving and with it in the intake it averages 10* hotter than ambient air temp unless its over 90* out side than its 15 to 20* so Im not if Im getting false readings or not but the stock CAC seems pretty efficant intake air is relativly cool compared to claims of 200* + temps claimed by companys selling there brand of CACs
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned

IAT intake air temp. Is that at the filter box or somewhere else?
The one at the filter box. It's a dual purpose pressure/temp sensor.

Originally Posted by drewblood
I monitor it at the intake and dont notice a drop in temp till driving wether it be from air flow or pressure at a idle it increases and cools while diiving and with it in the intake it averages 10* hotter than ambient air temp unless its over 90* out side than its 15 to 20* so Im not if Im getting false readings or not but the stock CAC seems pretty efficant intake air is relativly cool compared to claims of 200* + temps claimed by companys selling there brand of CACs
What method are you using to monitor it? Are you sure you're not monitoring the sensor near the air filter? The other sensor in the intake manifold would probably read 200*+ since it's all just metal bolted to the 200*+ engine.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Chapter President

[What method are you using to monitor it? Are you sure you're not monitoring the sensor near the air filter? The other sensor in the intake manifold would probably read 200*+ since it's all just metal bolted to the 200*+ engine.[/QUOTE]

What does the secound sensor do and where exactly is it located. I thought the IAT was the one on the air box.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

The "MAP" sensor mounted on top of the intake manifold is also a dual purpose temp/pressure sensor.

AFAIK the one in the box is considered the IAT. Monitoring that figure won't tell you how efficient the IC is though, unless you're also monitoring it on the other end to compare the two.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

Map/air temp sensor?

Originally Posted by jrussell
The "MAP" sensor mounted on top of the intake manifold is also a dual purpose temp/pressure sensor.

AFAIK the one in the box is considered the IAT. Monitoring that figure won't tell you how efficient the IC is though, unless you're also monitoring it on the other end to compare the two.
I wasn't aware that the MAP would also read IAT. How would you get the air temp reading from the MAP? What wires would you need to tap?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 PM

My buddies 04.5 doesn't have the fan connected and it doesn't throw any codes?
The wires to my fan were cut a couple of weeks ago... No codes, no limp.

Pulled about 9k with it like that. It never got up over around 215*
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 AM

I have a Q my truck seames to be running hot wen i am towing or runnong hi rpm it is at 200 to 212 is that to hot is it the hot weather
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 AM

sorry jrussel and treedr just saw the thread again I have a three in one gauge from dakota digital egt boost and a temp sensor for a auto but with my manual I felt iat would be a better thing to monitor its drilled and threaded into the intake right above the grid heater
Old 07-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Chapter President

Map sensor?

Originally Posted by drewblood
sorry jrussel and treedr just saw the thread again I have a three in one gauge from dakota digital egt boost and a temp sensor for a auto but with my manual I felt iat would be a better thing to monitor its drilled and threaded into the intake right above the grid heater
I thought they said the MAP was what they were using to get the IAT reading.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 different sensors. Both feed their info to the ECM for fueling adjustments though, and both reffered to as IAT!

The combination, dual function Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor/MAP Sensor (2) is installed into the top of the intake manifold.

The combination, dual function Inlet Air Temperature/Pressure Sensor (4) is located on the air cleaner (filter) cover
Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vzdude
2 different sensors. Both feed their info to the ECM for fueling adjustments though, and both reffered to as IAT!

The combination, dual function Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor/MAP Sensor (2) is installed into the top of the intake manifold.
The IAT portion of the sensor provides an input voltage to the Engine Control Module (ECM) indicating intake manifold air temperature. The MAP
portion of the sensor provides an input voltage to the ECM indicating turbocharger boost pressure.

The combination, dual function Inlet Air Temperature/Pressure Sensor (4) is located on the air cleaner (filter) cover
The Inlet Air Temperature/Pressure Sensor is a combination dual-function sensor. The sensor element extends into the intake air stream at the top of the air filter housing. Ambient air temperature as well as barometric pressure is monitored by this sensor.
I added the last part so they know what each sensor reads
Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 PM

My fan went out a three months ago and I haven't had time to replace the clutch. I have since added a 16" 2500cfm electic fan (40 bucks off eBay) for AC purposes mostly since I sit and idle a lot while working. The 2500cfm seems to do a heck of a job cooling the truck, granted I haven't been pulling over 4k in awhile. However with normal driving, the truck rarely gets hot, low speeds with the AC was the only time it would start to get warm, this is without the electric fan.

Quick Reply: Electric Fans on 3rd Gens