3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is a dual exhaust worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a dual exhaust worth it?

So im looking into an exhaust system for my 06 dodge.. Is the dual exhaust worth it it looks great but does it provide any better performance than a Single.. And if i were to do either one should i do no muffler or what send me you suggestions and explanations so i can figure out which is the best way to run...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Dual exhaust offers no performance gains whatsoever. It does sound a little deeper. My suggestion straight pipe it and put a nice tip on it.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Duals are only gonna make a performance difference in the extreme HP trucks, for all us normal truck drivin people 4" single is gonna be your max exhaust improvement. Anything after that is for looks, for the 500HP and up club they need at least the 5" single.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 PM

My plan is in the future when the whole warranty thing is done with is to drop as much money in to it and have it up in the high horsepower range and torque.. Eventually i want to get into truckpull.. kinda **** so would it be better jus to straight pipe now then later go with different exhaust or what?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:31 PM

Question

How do duals give you more power? It splits right behind the muffler, before that it is a single. This isn't a gas motor coming off dual headers, diesels come straigth off the turbo.
I thought the fewer the bends the better.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 PM

In reply to your question Ripper01, straight pipe it for now like, $40.00. I have a buddy that straight piped his 06 and it sounds awesome.

Just my $.02
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Austin'sDodge
In reply to your question Ripper01, straight pipe it for now like, $40.00. I have a buddy that straight piped his 06 and it sounds awesome.

Just my $.02
The only Question i have is will dealerships mind the mod of the exhaust.. In were my truck is registered i dont have to smog so im not worried about smoggin my truck but in what way can my warranty screw me in the future..?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ripper01
My plan is in the future when the whole warranty thing is done with is to drop as much money in to it and have it up in the high horsepower range and torque.. Eventually i want to get into truckpull.. kinda **** so would it be better jus to straight pipe now then later go with different exhaust or what?
Then buy a single outlet 5" system. It will flow considerably more than a 4" system or a dual 4" system. The duals is for looks and versatility when you want to chunk some soot on somebody. With a single you have to make sure you on the right side. With duals people on both sides are in range!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Then buy a single outlet 5" system. It will flow considerably more than a 4" system or a dual 4" system. The duals is for looks and versatility when you want to chunk some soot on somebody. With a single you have to make sure you on the right side. With duals people on both sides are in range!
Yeah i might have to go with duals then because people **** me off on the freeway.. Mainly when they cut me off.. I have some road rage when it comes to my trucks safety if you know what i mean..
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla
Yep, you can get Two at one shot, save on Fuel..
Old 03-31-2006, 06:27 AM

I must admit the dual puff puff on the 'pains in the butt' are pretty nice.

Last edited by wannadiesel; 03-31-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: symbols to evade censor
Old 03-31-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO the dual isnt worth it in performance or looks... its a diesel. One big 'ol pipe hanging undernethe is all you need.

*UNLESS* you run stacks, then dual is awesome!

Im sure anything you do will look nice tho b/c at least you take the time to weigh your options...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Ripper01,

There is a slight, and I mean slight, better EGT drop with duals, but don't buy them for that. Get them for the "look" and if you want to smoke out a ricer etc.

I would reccomend you stay away from a 5.0 inch system unless you plan to pass 500 RWHP fairly soon. The 5 inch systems slow turbo spool up and have a louder exhaust note too that some folks don't like! At 500 RWHP you just barely start to see a EGT reduction advantage with 5.0 inch, remember it just starts to be an advantage.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 03-31-2006, 09:21 AM

Actually, the 5" Magnaflow kits do very well with spoolup and are not loud by any means. This is due to the 4"-5" down pipe as well as the 4" core on the muffler. Duals are a waste of cash IMO. The 5" kits are the way to go if you ask me.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Craig
Ripper01,

There is a slight, and I mean slight, better EGT drop with duals, but don't buy them for that. Get them for the "look" and if you want to smoke out a ricer etc.

I would reccomend you stay away from a 5.0 inch system unless you plan to pass 500 RWHP fairly soon. The 5 inch systems slow turbo spool up and have a louder exhaust note too that some folks don't like! At 500 RWHP you just barely start to see a EGT reduction advantage with 5.0 inch, remember it just starts to be an advantage.

Mark @ DPPI
The plan for the future is to be pushin as much performance out of the motor with no drugs so im hopin to be around 750hp at the rear wheels.. All i need is the cash to do it..

Quick Reply: Is a dual exhaust worth it?