3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

downloaders comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fisherguy,
you're correct. Same SW in both the ECM and DL, no problem for the trip data. The problems start when the DL writes it's SW over a different one. Trip data = bye bye, a mess....

Just to make clear. My MSG form the TDR is taken out of it's contest. Thus it might appear that I'm talking about a particular DL/Company.

That is not.

I answered to AKRam's question about THAT company but my answer is not limited to it. From what I know, TODAY all the other DL's or erase the trip data or they do what I've explained in my MSG.

Makes sense?

Marco
Old 03-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marco
Fisherguy,
you're correct. Same SW in both the ECM and DL, no problem for the trip data. The problems start when the DL writes it's SW over a different one. Trip data = bye bye, a mess....

Just to make clear. My MSG form the TDR is taken out of it's contest. Thus it might appear that I'm talking about a particular DL/Company.

That is not.

I answered to AKRam's question about THAT company but my answer is not limited to it. From what I know, TODAY all the other DL's or erase the trip data or they do what I've explained in my MSG.

Makes sense?

Marco
well that makes a lot of sence and i thank you for your input.

marco, i think i will be needing a reflash of my ecm software or something similar, can you help? pm me and i will get into detail. thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
Second example.
This time my truck has SW revision "AR" on board and the Bullydog is still the same as before. It has still revision "AQ" on board. Now it happens that revision "AR" is LONGER than Bullydog's revision "AQ". You connect your bullydog to the truck and it WILL download SW revision "AQ" into your "AR" ECM. Same as in the previous example, bullydog does not erase / overwrite the trip data. I don't think it needs any further explanation that all the trip data are now located at the wrong address. PROBLEM!!!
Marco
This Information is incorrect. I am a software engineer at Bully Dog and I helped design this so I know. If as the example states above you have a newer version than is on the Bully Dog it will tell you that BEFORE you download. ie: Warning!! the TSB on your truck is newer than the one in the downloader.

At this point it tells you the most intellegent thing to do for your warranty is to update the Bully Dog online to the newest software for your truck. Then download it into truck with no problem. However, it will let you opt out of this and download the older software, but at this point it WILL download the entire files including trip data and key cycles erased. Just like the DRB III.

I don't wish to start a war here or flame anyone. Especially another company, but I don't think it isn't fair to inform people on a product that they have nothing to do with. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Has anyone had issue going from a Predator to a SMARTY than vice versa?

Also, Marco clearly stated it could be any downloader/programmer and was only using Bully Dog as a specific example to a specific case!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
KKB

I agree with Bud Kunz on this one. I had problems with the power pup leaving the brazilian code in my truck and my Smarty wouldn't work. Bob Wagner sent me a Smarty with a special program to download into my truck and it didn't work. I got a hold of Bud and he helped me out, even sent me a triple dog to take care of my problems, and now my Smarty works great. Like he said the Bullydog tells you before you download that you need the update if the ecm programs are different. It will still let you download and if you do and you have warranty issues it is your own fault. Bud Kunz is a great guy who helped me out of my problem with the powerpup and he did it in a short amount of time. So I have nothing but respect for Bud.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MEGA COP
Correct me if I am wrong here but more smoke='s more unburned fuel="s worse MPG's rite? so How is that a good thing? Not bashin just askin.
I actually get better fuel mileage now after all my mods. But I think that if I would have went more, (ie bigger injectors etc) it would have made my mileage go down

Kevin
Old 03-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by NGM Diesel 1
have you ever tryed the smarty?
I havent yet, I was going to try one on our dyno day, but NADP didnt have any left. I really want to try one though for race season

Kevin
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM

What about the Superchips downloader? I run it and I know others do too. You don't hear much about them. It makes plenty of power for me, but should I be watching out for anything. I have never let the dealer reflash my computer, but what will happen if they do. Another question, say something happens to my truck and I cannot reset my ecm back to stock before the dealer gets their hands on it. If they flash my ecm to something newer, will I still have full function of my downloader? Meaning does the downloader still have the high performance setting in it? and can I download it right back into the truck even though the original stock program is still in the Superchips? Now I'm starting to worry. Not because of warranty issues, I wrote those off at 1700 miles. I just don't want to loose the ability to reuse my Superchips. I actually like this DL and have had no issues. It makes plenty of power for me without extreme fuel pressures.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by reb0957
Also, Marco clearly stated it could be any downloader/programmer and was only using Bully Dog as a specific example to a specific case!
I understood what Marco was saying I was just correcting the incorrect information about the Triple Dog.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bud Kunz
I understood what Marco was saying I was just correcting the incorrect information about the Triple Dog.
Wow, you sound like a really great guy. Thanks for all your helpful info.