3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which double disk clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which double disk clutch?

Ok boys, i finally got the money for a new clutch, i definitely want a double disk. This is my daily driver, but i want something strong, might see a little sledpulling this summer, right now i'm thinking a South Bend 12 cb 3850, but what do you all think? I'll be listening. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Definately get the Southbend.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Is the 3850 12cb the right choice though? Who's got the best prices?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Yeah its a good choice.
Thats what I use.

I would go through Peter@SBC directly.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM

Justin, how does your truck shift with the SBC, compared to the stocker?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:06 PM

You definitely know there is a 3850 dual disc in there.
Shifting is slower and takes some finesse to get around sometimes.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 PM

Thats sounds ok, i'm no drag racer! I was told that i would have to change the slave cylinder, whats up with that?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

If I'm correct the newer slave cylinders don't seem to have the power to push the DD over and over again.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Muted User

I'd give Enterprise Engine a call also.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:28 AM

Yes, you will have to change your slave/master setup.
Peter sells the upgraded version which is basically a 97/12v type MS that has its rod adapted to work with a 3rd gen.

I popped my stock/junk Master cylinder 2 weeks after the install of the 3850.
I have had the 12v MS in for almost 2 years with no problems.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Clutch

What is the benefit of a double Disc over a regular and why is harder to finess,Just looking for some Info
Old 04-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jchavez
What is the benefit of a double Disc over a regular and why is harder to finess,Just looking for some Info
The benefit is that you can use it for sled pulling, drag racing, etc without damaging your clutch and being left on the side of the road. They'll hold any amount of power you can throw at them and keep on smiling.

The drawbacks are:

1. They're LOUD, both at idle and with the pedal in
2. They're LOUD because they have no springs in the discs, so your transmission makes a lot of noise, particularly in direct (4th or 5th) depending on what transmission you have
3. The ceramic and feramic DD clutches shift slow because the rotating mass of the discs is far more than the stock clutch.
4. The slow shifting (due to the greatly increased rotating mass) will cause premature synchronizer wear
5. Since there are two discs and a free floating center plate, sometimes it's difficult to get the transmission into gear at a stop, whether it's 1st, 2nd, or reverse. I know I have a hard time with 1st and Reverse. It's a good thing I take off in 2nd.
6. The clutch tends to be grabby.

Even though there are some drawbacks, they're definitely what you need for sledpulling, or even making huge horsepower. The single disc FE will hold up to a lot of abuse, but nowhere near as much as a DD.

Whatever you do, if you're looking for a dual disc, stay away from the organic one. You get all the drawbacks, plus you can't pull with it. I bought it thinking it was going to be super smooth (as advertised) but it's still a grabby unpleasant clutch to drive. If I was the kind of guy who wanted to drag race and do 3rd gear launches, this is your clutch.

I wish I had gone with a ceramic clutch, at least I could do some pulling. Automatics are for drag racing. I made an $1800 mistake.

Next month I'll be swapping my DD for a single disc ceramic clutch that's supposed to hold 1400 lb-ft of torque. It may be grabby, but so's my current one. And the rotating mass on the new one is less than the stocker. Must be good for some fast shifting, plus it has springs in it, so it will be quiet.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by JCLeary
The benefit is that you can use it for sled pulling, drag racing, etc without damaging your clutch and being left on the side of the road. They'll hold any amount of power you can throw at them and keep on smiling.

The drawbacks are:

1. They're LOUD, both at idle and with the pedal in
2. They're LOUD because they have no springs in the discs, so your transmission makes a lot of noise, particularly in direct (4th or 5th) depending on what transmission you have
3. The ceramic and feramic DD clutches shift slow because the rotating mass of the discs is far more than the stock clutch.
4. The slow shifting (due to the greatly increased rotating mass) will cause premature synchronizer wear
5. Since there are two discs and a free floating center plate, sometimes it's difficult to get the transmission into gear at a stop, whether it's 1st, 2nd, or reverse. I know I have a hard time with 1st and Reverse. It's a good thing I take off in 2nd.
6. The clutch tends to be grabby.

Even though there are some drawbacks, they're definitely what you need for sledpulling, or even making huge horsepower. The single disc FE will hold up to a lot of abuse, but nowhere near as much as a DD.

Whatever you do, if you're looking for a dual disc, stay away from the organic one. You get all the drawbacks, plus you can't pull with it. I bought it thinking it was going to be super smooth (as advertised) but it's still a grabby unpleasant clutch to drive. If I was the kind of guy who wanted to drag race and do 3rd gear launches, this is your clutch.

I wish I had gone with a ceramic clutch, at least I could do some pulling. Automatics are for drag racing. I made an $1800 mistake.

Next month I'll be swapping my DD for a single disc ceramic clutch that's supposed to hold 1400 lb-ft of torque. It may be grabby, but so's my current one. And the rotating mass on the new one is less than the stocker. Must be good for some fast shifting, plus it has springs in it, so it will be quiet.
So then for regular everyday use it would be an over kill.Would a good heavy duty as close to stock be better I pull about 11000 once a week in the summer.My clutch is fine just trying to prepare for the future.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jchavez
So then for regular everyday use it would be an over kill.Would a good heavy duty as close to stock be better I pull about 11000 once a week in the summer.My clutch is fine just trying to prepare for the future.
For a daily driver that makes some power, go for the SBC FE. Only problem is backing a trailer with it. It's very grabby for some.

The clutch I'm going with is a Zoom ZVT. They have two models, an organic and a ceramic.

The organic one will drive exactly like a stock clutch, but will hold 860lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels at 2800rpm.

I'm getting the ceramic one, rated at 1400lb-ft at the same rpm. It may be a bit grabby, but I can live with it. It will be quiet as stock and just as fast shifting, if not faster.

I don't know of anyone else using one, but I'll be the guinea pig. I was with the Street DD and didn't like it, so it's time for a switch.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Muted User

I use my DD for everyday driving. I got it since I only wanted to upgrade once. And since it was free.

Quick Reply: Which double disk clutch?