3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does exhast brake void warranty ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does exhast brake void warranty ??

Getting myself primed to have the exhaust brake installed. Can't trust what my local dealer says as they have steered me wrong many times before. Just wondered what the membership's opinion is. It will be going on a brand new 3500 Laramie 4x4 diesel if I decide there are no future warranty issues.
I've e-mailed Chrysler Canada on other issues but never yet have has a reply to any so no use trying to ask them.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 AM

well I know that you can buy a factory jake brake exhaust brake directly from your dealer, so I would have to think that it wouldnt hurt your warranty. But I personally would go with the pac brake ahead of the jacobs model, the jacobs is good, but the pac brake works down to a lower RPM which is a goog thing especially if your towing

Kevin
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM

For '06 (and 5.9 '07s), the Jake brake is covered (or my dealer lied to me , there's a stretch). I am pretty sure it's covered.

The Pac brake PRXB will work better to a lower RPM. It's also nice to have a tank of compressed air for other things (versus the vacuum pump for the Jake).

The Jake brake will work fine though. I have used it to hold speed going down a 4% grade at 25 MPH in second gear towing my fifth wheel. (stupid national park speed limits ).

Tony
Old 12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

one of the reasons i went with the pac brake is the method of activiation. compressed air. the compressor only runs when it is needed. a vacuum pump is spinning any time the truck is running, whether it is unloaded or loaded, it is wearing out the entire time the truck is running.

air is useful for many other things. vacuum? nope. the jacobs is a great product, i am knocking it at all. but i am glad i went with the prxb, it works fantastic.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jake is covered if purchased thru dealer if not you have to go to where you bought it. it wil not void warranty because its designed for these trucks
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM

What's the cost difference between the two??
Can either be installed by someone with average-medium mechanical skills??
Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

the pac brake required no special tools other than a really small drill bit to pop out the ecm plugs(to insert the harness pins). 2 1/2 hours. nicely designed kit. technical difficulty=4 of 10
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty is going to vary from dealer to dealer. Most of them are going to be ok with exhaust brakes now, as it is a factory approved option (Jacobs) We have Dodge dealers that order and install our brakes on a regular basis.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 PM

The PacBrake, being that it is NOT a factory option as the Jacobs Brake, I assume DC does not like the PacBrake??
Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

my dealer has seen my pacbrake several times and didnt care one bit. i have a manual trans, and that will make some difference, but they never once mentioned it.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Question

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
air is useful for many other things. vacuum? nope.
Hmmm, could it be used in tandem to power a big train-horn?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

vacuum on a horn? the link didnt work for me on the work computer, maybe i missed something.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:24 PM

vacuum on a horn? the link didnt work for me on the work computer, maybe i missed something.
- no, no - my bad on the ambiguity ~> I was quoting you for the PacBrake air compressor being useful for other apps and wondering if it could be used in tandem to power a horn i.e. ~>
Old 12-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

yes with a decent site tank, you can use a solenoid hooked to your factory horn wiring to blast the horns. i will be doing it christmas week and using a regulator from the tank to horns.

when i bought my prxb, it didnt come with a tank, been 2 years. now they come with a 1gal tank, so the harness is already set to do the job for you. just swap for a bigger tank. but i think d wiggs is using his pacbrake tank for his horns.

the tank/compressor can be used for filling air bags, tires, inner tubes, etc. the pacbrake compressor is 150psi i think.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:08 PM

yes with a decent site tank, you can use a solenoid hooked to your factory horn wiring to blast the horns. i will be doing it christmas week and using a regulator from the tank to horns.

when i bought my prxb, it didnt come with a tank, been 2 years. now they come with a 1gal tank, so the harness is already set to do the job for you. just swap for a bigger tank. but i think d wiggs is using his pacbrake tank for his horns.

the tank/compressor can be used for filling air bags, tires, inner tubes, etc. the pacbrake compressor is 150psi i think.
Schweet! thx for the info! (I'm predicting a PacBrake/Air-Horn consolidated install in the not-too-distant future)

Quick Reply: Does exhast brake void warranty ??