3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

do you need upgraded sungear/drum in trans for 5-600 horse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you need upgraded sungear/drum in trans for 5-600 horse?

i was wondering if i needed an upgraded sungear or drum if i were to be at 600 horse tops also will a single disk tc hold up to this power? or should i just get a triple and not worry?

the reason i ask is because my trans went like its gone and im gonna get it rebuilt. ill have to post some pics of me driving a ford to haul it to the trans shop it was a sad day for sure!
thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM

no one knows???????
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i was wondering if i needed an upgraded sungear or drum if i were to be at 600 horse tops also will a single disk Tc hold up to this power? or should i just get a triple and not worry?

the reason i ask is because my trans went like its gone and I'm gonna get it rebuilt. ill have to post some pics of me driving a ford to haul it to the trans shop it was a sad day for sure!
thanks
The planets and drums in the 48re are about as strong as you can get and will hold 600 horse just fine you should get billet input shaft and flex plate. I am running a single disk converter at some where around 750 HP, but I do not run on the street at that hp level probably about 550 HP
Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightman46
The planets and drums in the 48re are about as strong as you can get and will hold 600 horse just fine you should get billet input shaft and flex plate. I am running a single disk converter at some where around 750 HP, but I do not run on the street at that hp level probably about 550 HP
Wow! I thought that your Truck had a Triple Disk... I know that you have to have a lot of passes on your T/C. How many miles does your Single Disk have on it?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM

i hear the tripples put a lot of stress on the other components in the trans i am getting a billet input and laminated flexplate
Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i hear the tripples put a lot of stress on the other components in the trans i am getting a billet input and laminated flexplate
ummm, no.

Triple disc T/Cs simply have more friction area on the discs to hold the load. They are not more stressful on components than a strong single. What puts the stress on is power (tq/hp). Don't be afraid of the triple. Goerend's makes the best one out there IMO and it is lifetime warranteed.

A billet input and laminated flexplate is a good idea.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Triple disc T/Cs simply have more friction area on the discs to hold the load.
Ummm, thats kinda the definiton of more stress. The triple will transfer power at a higher rate on lockup than a single because it has more surface area.

Its not the power that breaks things, its the difference is rotational velocity when the clutches engage that stresses the components. Where a single will engage firmly a triple will almost bang in. While the trans definitely needs setup differently for a triple there is a point at which it because exceedingly hard to tune the engagment and maintain the neccessary force to hold.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll readily admit you've got a lot more smarts than I on the trannys, but my T/C locks in a lot smoother than the last DTT big single I rode in. However, that could be entirely on the setup too. Mine shifts firm, but not a "bang" shift, or lock up, by any means like that DTT did.
It would seem to me that "holding" the power is ultimately what is wanted in any case and a good triple does that better than a single; especially in a high hp truck and 600 qualifies for that. That said, any version that holds the power is sufficient.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I'll readily admit you've got a lot more smarts than I on the trannys, but my T/C locks in a lot smoother than the last DTT big single I rode in.
Oh, the setup makes a big difference in what you feel as does the type of clutch material. There just comes a point where you can't soften things up anymore or the clutches start being effected and the you will still get a higher transfer rate on a triple. You are correct that the biggest problems are with triples and the setup. Once they are correct it is a lot better.

There is no way you can fell it or even measure it very accurately without. Its just the nature of the physics of the equation.

A corrrectly setup VB for the chosen TC is a must or problems ensue with breaking shafts and such. Sames as the OP was asking about upping the clutch count, with a single disk corrrectly set probably not a big deal as both the TC clutch and clutch packs will absord the acceleration and neither get hurt. Add a triple in there and the tendency to spin thru the directs increases, especially at lower pressures in normal driving.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no

A corrrectly setup VB for the chosen TC is a must or problems ensue with breaking shafts and such. Sames as the OP was asking about upping the clutch count, with a single disk corrrectly set probably not a big deal as both the TC clutch and clutch packs will absord the acceleration and neither get hurt. Add a triple in there and the tendency to spin thru the directs increases, especially at lower pressures in normal driving.
so what your saying is that the tripple needs to be setup right or you will have premature failure correct?
im really debating on what to get!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

so what your saying is that the tripple needs to be setup right or you will have premature failure correct?
im really debating on what to get!
Could have, enough other factors contribute that nothing is a given. A corrrectly setup triple is hard to beat without a doubt. A single gives you a bit more leeway to play with pressures and such. Its really a personal choice.