3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Definitive Howto: 04.5-05 Tc Lockup Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all new to me so sorry for the STupid Post - BUT.

I am guesing the main advantages of this (if used properly) are less ware on trany and possible increse in MPG? And of course if ya want to hot rod it there is always that aspect of it.

Is this an accurate assesment?

Thanks, Arkangel77
Old 01-09-2006, 05:57 PM

I think the main advantage of this is going to be for towing because it will help from overheating the TC and some hot roding.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 PM

you know that the trans doesnt lock up between shifts for a reason, its called dampening, this will cause damage on the internal parts of the trans if you put any power and weight behind it, i have the 91% torque which only has 9% shear which is very direct and with 12k behind me i let off the throttle to let it shift cause its so harsh, now with 100%locked it will bang into gears very hard, now if your trans is built to handle abuse then there are still other weak links like flex plates, driveshafts, etc this is not a wise mod imo just do the torque and be safe.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 AM

I am going to do it mainly for mileage. I find myself running the service roads that have a speed limit of 45 MPH and the convertor won't lock up until at least 48 MPH, so I spend the whole time driving down the road with the converter slipping away instead of locking up. Also I find myself running in neighbor hoods with 25 MPH speed limits and again the convertor won't lock up (in 2nd gear) until 28 mph... Also if you are in OD lock out mode, the truck still won't lock up the TC until 48 mph, and I find myself towing on twisty roads where 45 is a safe speed, but I push it to 48 mph to allow for lock up.

I know it is just a couple of miles over the speed limit to get it to lock, but with the new laws against class A CDL's I can't take the chance of getting a ticket.

I would be happy if I could figure out a way to put something "in-line" that would fool the TCM into thinking it is running about 15% faster than it really is but I haven't figured it out.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Well I did my switch today, I can say for the 04 trucks it will not allow the tranny to down shift when the switch is locked. I tested it going about 40 mph in OD and locking it up. I then rolled into it to full throttle, I smoked out a lane of traffic and then after it hit full boost the TC started slipping a little... The truck never came out of OD, with the switch off it would have went all the way down to 2nd... I wonder if I need the jumper wire on the 03-04 trucks???

So I guess the 03-04 trucks are a little different then the 04.5+ trucks... no big deal, but just be prepared....
Old 01-15-2006, 08:57 PM

if you have it in lock up in park or neutral and put it in gear it will either kill the engine or break the tires loose if you have enough power.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Tire Hater

I ran a 14.010 @ 97.5mph on my 37" tires and that lockup switch being hit at 15mph
Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Here is why I want this mod:

I have 37s with 3.73s... I work 2-3h off road, lots of hills, lots of twists....

I sometimes haul 2000lb tools in the bed of the truck.

WITH load, my converter locks up faster (in second) and it pulls up hills like a charm. WITHOUT load, the thing won't lock for too long sometimes, and I do nothing but stall the converter on the hills. Some hills are steep, and the cummins with the edge has NO problems pulling up the hills IF the converter is locked. IF not, it feels like I lost 50% of my power. The thing revs, heats up the trans, sounds stupid and works worse empty then w/load.

I think being able to lock it when I want, and being able to lock it in first gear will be GREAT.

P.S. Also, to be stupid but to have a better chance against the PSDs or even the new Duramaxes w/Edge/attitude, locking it up in first and hoping she lasts will give me a chance....vs. a sure loss.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Tire Hater

Ability to lock it in first is rather handy.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:16 PM

33 ohm resistor

Has anyone tried the 33 ohm resistor on the 2004.5 instead of the jumper on the relay.

2004.5 black SRW crew cab
Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Ok I'm getting ready to do this mod. I have the 2003 SO with 47re. I found 4 plugs on the trany all driver side. 2 towards the back 1 on the side and its ont round and the last one higher up. It plugs in downward. Hard to see it. Any pics would really help me. Please
Kory
Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM

Well, I finally did this mod. (Thanks John).

My results. Push the button, locks at any speed or gear. Once locked, it will shift through the gears without a problem other then a harsher shift. Seems to pick up speed a little better in 3rd lock. Great for going up hills and I'm sure it would help the tow people as I do not tow anything.

Down sides.
It will not downshift upon any throttle (full or not). Even using the Tow\Haul mode, it wouldn't downshift.

I also have a Check Engine light to on.

I didn't get any codes but I do have one now. A P2769 which I don't seem to have on my sheet of codes. Not sure if it is from the mod or playing around and testing different things. I did see 3600 rpm on the tach at one point while I was playing with this mod. So not sure until I find that code # what it means.

So out surfing to see if I can get rid of the engine light (haven't tried the 33 ohm resistor yet) and that code.

Found it - P2769 = Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Low

I did leave the switch on once (forgot ) and it did shutter and shake upon slowing down. Probably that is what caused the code. Will run it for awhile to reset after xx amount of successful starts.

Last edited by Nuttymopar; 01-23-2006 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Found code
Old 02-08-2006, 12:17 PM

33 Ohm resistor

Has anyone done this mode using the 33 ohm resistor inline with the ground. As mentioned in one of these posts, by doing this it would eliminate the need for the jumper on the relay
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 PM

OH, so by using the 33 ohm deal, I don't need a jumper on the Relay?

I have a Check Engine Light on due to this mod. I am using the wire on the relay. I then placed a 33 ohm inline with the ground but it didn't fix my CEL so I took it back off. I never did remove the wire from the relay to see if that would work. I'm thinking about getting a new relay so if I ever need to take the truck in to the dealer, at least the CEL might not be on.

This mod works GREAT. Much better get up and go away from stop lights.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Go ahead and hit me. I took off the relay, undid the jumper wire and still my CEL is still there. I figured it would go away now since the relay was back to normal. then stopped in at the local Auto store and they let me borrow their OBDC2 thingy. That cleared the CEL without a problem. Still have the P2769 though, for now.

So no more lights on the dash, which is nice. I'm going out at lunch today and wire in the 33 ohm reisistor and then run it to see if the CEL comes back or not. If it does, now I know where to go to get it reset compared to Dealer.

I hope it works as I MISS that little button and it only has only been over night.

Quick Reply: The Definitive Howto: 04.5-05 Tc Lockup Switch