3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A couple things with Smarty Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple things with Smarty Jr.

The first thing is I noticed now my FASS comes on with the key and stays on where stock it just came on for a second and then went off until the truck started like stock. Is this going to be ok for starting at sub zero temps in the Winter? The pump may run for a quite a few econds before the WTS light goes out.

Second is I noticed my grid heater doesn't come on like it used to stock. It used to come on every time I started the truck no matter the temp of the coolant or ambient air. Will this work properly in the Winter?

Sorry if these are the "usual" questions but they kind of caught me off guard a little.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Now I noticed my turbo timer doesn't work either. Also, this morning my odometer flashed a couple times on the way into town. I loaded the "stock" program back into it and evidently "stock" isn't stock. I hope I haven't made a mistake by going to a Smarty. This is the first downloader I have tried on my truck and so far I'm not impressed at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM

My lift pump runs the whole time i have the key on and no it wont hurt anything in the winter when it takes longer for the heater to warm up.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to see if I can get Bob or Marco to come on and help you....
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for the FP, that could be a more current stock software than you had. Smarty has the most current stock software for each truck loaded up, so if you had an older flash now you have the most current. Based on hard starts I think Dodge has reprogrammed the fuel pump time tables. The fuel pump runs in conjunction with the grid-heater generally.

The Grid heater on mine operates the same with the Jr as it did pre-Jr. In that if the intake air temp is below 66* it will cycle the grid heater, if its above 66* it will just test the light. Its summer and you are probably having more days with your intake air temp above 66* than you were a month ago.

Are you going off the dimming of the lights or the "bounce" of the gauge? I know that different OE software's have or don't have the bounce. My truck doesn't bounce, but my dads 06 does.

What do you mean by stock isn't stock?

The Jr should have zero effect on your turbo timer or odometer. Did the turbo timer wires get bumped while you were under the dash? The Jr will also make the truck cool down quicker, maybe the timer isn't as needed.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
As for the FP, that could be a more current stock software than you had. Smarty has the most current stock software for each truck loaded up, so if you had an older flash now you have the most current. Based on hard starts I think Dodge has reprogrammed the fuel pump time tables. The fuel pump runs in conjunction with the grid-heater generally.

The Grid heater on mine operates the same with the Jr as it did pre-Jr. In that if the intake air temp is below 66* it will cycle the grid heater, if its above 66* it will just test the light. Its summer and you are probably having more days with your intake air temp above 66* than you were a month ago.

Are you going off the dimming of the lights or the "bounce" of the gauge? I know that different OE software's have or don't have the bounce. My truck doesn't bounce, but my dads 06 does.

What do you mean by stock isn't stock?

The Jr should have zero effect on your turbo timer or odometer. Did the turbo timer wires get bumped while you were under the dash? The Jr will also make the truck cool down quicker, maybe the timer isn't as needed.
My truck hasn't been to the dealer since I bought it. No clowns are allowed to touch my truck. I live in MT and our mornings haven't been up to the 66 degree temps yet but they're coming, hopefully. It was 31 F yesterday and froze the garden but my grid heater did work. My truck used to cycle the grid heater no matter what ambient temp was outside. The difference was how many times it would do it depending on how cold it was or until I reached about 21 MPH. My needle doesn't move but my FASS pump changes note and the lights will dim. The stock program in the Smarty wasn't my stock program. I guess I assumed that upon the initial connection, that the Smarty would have downloaded my stock program and not just used a generic one size fits all. My bad. Turbo timer is built into the Edge with no wires under the dash or anything. Odo flashed a couple times on the way into town but I haven't seen it do it again yet. TT is set to come on above 350. My truck was at 380 when I first noticed it and the truck shut down without the timer going. I tried it twice and still no go. This is where I come back to the stock software. My timer would not work before unless my e-brake was pushed in and the tranny in neutral and then shut the ignition. If I followed those steps then the timer worked fine. Now, I'm concerned that the stock canned software has taken the e-brake switch out of the picture for the timer or something else I'm missing. I can't say though. I guess maybe I'm too finicky, nobody else has noticed or my truck is now somehow possessed.