3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Commander or standard gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commander or standard gauges?

Wanting to start my first upgrades(egt,fuel,trans,boost).What do yall think about just using a commander?I dont plan on bombing but I do plan on adding a smarty in a couple months. I like the idea of having the control that the commander seems to offer but would like to hear from someone with experiance.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:26 AM

yep i agree, im going to buy a commander shortly about the same money as gauges but commander will shut down if to high egt or to low fuel presures. and it upgradable later down the road as they make changes.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 AM

I just installed a Commander in my 2006. It is a really easy install and I really like the functionality of it. I especially like the cold start protection and being able to turn off my XZT module with it(comes in handy when its raining). The alerts are nice too. I recommend it.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 AM

if you have to worry about warranty i would get standard gauges ... most dealerships would assume the commander is a box ... probably void warranty
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2broke2smoke
if you have to worry about warranty i would get standard gauges ... most dealerships would assume the commander is a box ... probably void warranty

X2, I know I don't want to pay for a new injector or CP3 when something happens.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM

i have the commander and running the smarty. works great you won't be dissappointed.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Question CCSDL (logging software) Coming Soon

Does anyone know when Quad will be releasing the logging software? I'm definitely getting the Commander installed on my rig prior to any other mods. I want to establish a baseline and gauge every successive mod from there. All that functionality in monitoring (7 separate, alerts, etc.,) + control would seem to make standard gauges obsolete imho.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM

I put in standard gauges, less reaction from my dealership, or should I say NO red flag. One of my friends went the digital route and the same dealer had a lot of questions, too many actually. When I added the Pricol rail pressure gauge I got a couple questions from them, I reminded them about my re-occurring P0191 code, they backed down.

Maybe you should querry your service manager's position, talk about it in cost, etc and then you might get a better idea about them, sine all your warranty stuff will be through them, or hopefully all of it will.

I guess my only other thought about the digital gauges is are they real-time or are they giving data based on what the ECM thinks? but may be fooled into thinking. If they are not real-time, then I would go with the good old standby set. I know nothing about the digitals so someone else will have to address that. Maybe Quad will chime in and answer this.

CD
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Analog Guages. I had both in my 05 analog and outlook and my outlook was just going off what the ECM was reading and the analog was hardwired into the truck. My boost was always way off from the two and my analog was tapped into my uuh yeah that thing I went blank!! Elbow thinggyy... Damngggg it!! I trust the analog more.. Plus if you have an auto you can monitor it's temps..

Old 12-07-2006, 11:05 PM

You can moniter oil or auto trans temps with Commander too.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 PM

It reads real time. The only digital gauges that have problems use the OBD ports.

Also something to keep in mind is that mechanical gauges are not accurate at all. Just call the manufacturer of any mechanical gauge and ask them what their accuracy is based on the entire sweep range of the gauge. They are very poor.

With digital stuff you can read down to 1 deg increments on your pyro. The best mechanical gauges are about 25 degrees. Also many of them have a lot of trouble trying to compensate the readings for the sweep of the stepper motors.

Just something to think about.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
It reads real time. The only digital gauges that have problems use the OBD ports.

Also something to keep in mind is that mechanical gauges are not accurate at all. Just call the manufacturer of any mechanical gauge and ask them what their accuracy is based on the entire sweep range of the gauge. They are very poor.

With digital stuff you can read down to 1 deg increments on your pyro. The best mechanical gauges are about 25 degrees. Also many of them have a lot of trouble trying to compensate the readings for the sweep of the stepper motors.

Just something to think about.
Sounds good. Do you have an ETA on the data-logging software?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm debating this myself right now, but think I'm going to go with analog gauges, you don't really have to "read" them, just a quick glance and you know where you're at.

If one analog goes wonky, you get 1 new one, the digital things seem more likely to have problems, and when that happens what do you do with it?

I guess if you liked the digital gauges of some of the cars from the late 80's you'll get the digitals, I prefer the traditional analogs though... (er, I think)
Old 12-08-2006, 04:55 PM

Can any one give a real cost comparison, analogue - pyro, tranny, boost.
Installed, with a column mount pod. -(Good, Nice guages)
Compared to the commander?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
BPC

Complete 3 guage ISSPRO KIT from Dieselmanor for $280...http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges/ga...dge-isspro.asp

Quadzilla commander $400 http://www.quadzillapower.com/prod_commander.html

The commander looks like a very nice piece. Had it been avail last dec I would have looked very hard at it. That being said I have been more than pleased with my ISSPRO kit I bought from David Murphy @ dieselmanor. His customer service is excellent before and after the sale. I have no firsthand experience with Quadzilla, so I can't comment. Good luck in your decision.

Quick Reply: Commander or standard gauges?