3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutches??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 207,890km on my stock clutch. Check my mods and trust me, i drive it like i stole it.The smarty hasnt left kill since i got it and the ez has always been on 50hp.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Yes but how long ago was that Lary?
Maybe it's time to let it go..?
I have a list here of things dating back quite a long time, some as current as a few days ago. Other forums, other lies......some things never change.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Maybe Lary or someone else can say if there is any truth to this but I've read several times on several boards that Valair copied South Bends clutch 100%. (with lesser quality material obviously) Is this the true story?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Luken
Maybe Lary or someone else can say if there is any truth to this but I've read several times on several boards that Valair copied South Bends clutch 100%. (with lesser quality material obviously) Is this the true story?
We have several members here that are avid Valair fans and consider them selves "friends of Dan" Two of them posted in the forum that he was bragging about copying SB Products while they were in his shop.

Looking at his stuff leaves little doubt of that as long as you over look the crooked way they put the pucks on the plates hahahaha

Is that the gospel truth? who knows for sure but it would not surprise me in the least.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Peter is an awesome guy over at Southbend, heard many good storied from pullers that have burnt thier clutch up in 3 pulls and he replaced thier clutch at cost. Now Valair I have never seen them personally and don't know anybody that uses them. As far as copying Peter's Desighn that's almost getting to be the American way any more. find something the people like and want and find a way to build it cheaper to seel your product. Not saying it's right but it is done. I'm sure Peter has a higher quality product but will A valair get you by? It sure will, will it last as long who knows? I'm seen a few guys that seem happy with them and pull with them and have had good luck.

On a more Personal note I find that the haisley clutches are better clutches in my experience. They have less pedal effort and you can use the same Hydralics without getting upgraded ones. Only thing about haisley Clutches is to get the maximum life out of them you really need to pull them out every year and adjust them (If you don't pull I would say every other year). The haisley clutches are a bit more expensive though but are very well worth it. All together my clucth has about 4 years on it 2 different trucks probably 60hooks and 20,000 miles. It is on it's last leg though made the last adjustment we could do on it before the last hook of the season so I am gonna order new discs the beginning of next season.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM

i dont think there is better service out there than what SBC gives people any better would be handing out free clutches i know from my own experiances. first clutch i bought was a 3600 DD ridged and as soon as the sprung hub came out i called and asked if it was better than mine and all he said was yes explained and shipped me 1 and i sent mine back no money out of my pocket and i had 3000 miles already on the ridged. then i broke park of the linkage on a finger on the new clutch after 10K miles took it out called him and the next day i had a clutch with every thing except no disks at my door step ready to go. there is no argueing or having to explain your self and wait for parts and have some 1 look at it or people questioning it and trying to decline you there is no BS i wish more companies helped and delt with people the way they do not saying they do that for every 1 i really dont know maybe i got lucky. they have my business as long as i own a standard, service like that is slim to none these days.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Hydraulics??

I'm looking to get the 3600DD. I have the NV5600 and was wondering if anyone is running the hydraulics with this clutch/tranny combo?

I've been told both ways, so I wanted your input.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM

peter just sent me a 3250 clutch with out fly wheel and disks because i wanted less peddle presure and im not going to exceed the 550hp limit and i already have the 3600 with hydro so i just have to swap every thing over. people with that clutch do you use the up grade hydro of no.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

I am currently running the Haisley DDSP and I love it. I have not experienced any other clutch brands my self so I cannot say either way.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 PM

I have been able to put several miles on the clutch with some HEAVY loads. It has been holding just fine. I do abuse the truck with and without loads on a regular basis. I'm really surprised and pleased with the performance. The pedal pressure is actually a little softer than the Southbend I had previously.