3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bypass filter question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dott
I put a gauge on mine. Unfortunately it pulses a lot and may not last. It's a 100 lb gauge and I see 70psi at idle cold. Probably should try a 160lb gauge before I ditch the idea.

Also, I tapped the valve cover and return the oil there. Don't like the fill cap idea.

Dott, not trying to fear monger here, but if your guage is "pulsing" as you say, there is a good possibility the bourdon tube in that guage will fatigue and fail from the pulsations. If that happens you will have a sizable oil fountain under your hood. It is probably seeing the the pulsations because that location is very close to the oil pump discharge. You don't see nearly as much pulsation if you tapped off an oil gallery as most of the pulsation has dissapated.

Excellent idea on your return line. Very neat and clean.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 PM

I used the Amsoil dual bypass kit with no leaks or problems at all,now the filter changes are on the frame rail under the passenger floorboard ,no mess at all when changing.Only bad thing is the filters are pricey but are supposed to be extremely good filters.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta (Misplaced 'Merican from WA)
Ramman,

I'm glad to hear that you aren't having the problems I have heard about. Mounting them low and out of the way would have been my preference (and using the sandwich adapter), but I decided to follow the advice of two guys who have done many installations in their shops.

My full flow filter will sit where the stock unit goes and the the bypass will sit just under and in front of the engine oil dipstick, in a vertical position. The only dilemma I have is how to run the return. I think I'll put a fitting in the valve cover so I don't have to put a "tether" on my fill cap, although I have one of the those sexy, super-whamadyne anodized aluminum units from Amsoil... Just can't figure out why they would make it Ford blue. Go figure.

Thanks for your input. Out of curiosity how many miles do you have on your system and at what intervals do you change your filters?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Hey!
I got the bypass unit on the other night. Only took about an hour and a half... once I reread the instructions about the counterclockwise thread on the hose ferrules... It was a cinch!

Thanks very much everyone for your assistance, photos, etc.

Next will be the Airdog demand flow... I hope someone has some good photos for that!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Nice install on tapping the valvecover. Currently I am using the return through the fill cap but have been meaning to go back and thread the valvecover.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm running mine through the cap right now, but will pull the valve cover on my next rotation off. I just ran out of time.
The back two bolts on the cover look like they could be a woolybooger. I'm just wondering if the cover gasket is re-usable and if it is a pain to get it to reseal... I still have nightmares about getting a valve cover to seal on an 84 Mustang 5.0...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justenuff
I'm running mine through the cap right now, but will pull the valve cover on my next rotation off. I just ran out of time.
The back two bolts on the cover look like they could be a woolybooger. I'm just wondering if the cover gasket is re-usable and if it is a pain to get it to reseal... I still have nightmares about getting a valve cover to seal on an 84 Mustang 5.0...
The gasket on mine is an oring style. There is a groove in the valve cover that holds on to the seal. I just wiped the mating surface and the seal to clean it up and put it right back together. The rear screws are no problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Great news! I'll finish that up next week, but I'm running out of projects and we're not even into winter yet... it's gonna be an expensive winter... Not much to do outside for very long when the mercury hits 35 below.

Thanks again. It sure does help to have people who have done it first!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by justenuff
I'll finish that up next week, but I'm running out of projects and we're not even into winter yet..
Any progress?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM

dott,

Yes! I posted the mount drawings and a few pics (I don't have them on this computer, but can send them to you by email, if you are interested. Just send me a PM). The install is very clean, with not much hose length on either side. I had to use a Dremel tool with a sanding drum on two small areas inside the valve cover so the inside of the bulkhead fitting would sit flush, but all in all it was a breeze.

Thanks again for your help.

Ben
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Finally had daylight to take pics of the rock guard I put in front of my bypass filter.

From the front you can see it doesn't completely cover the filter, but it's 90%.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Does anyone know if anyone else makes spin on bypass filters that will fit on an amsoil BMK-11 filter location?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 PM

I think the bigger question is, where can you get a 2 micron filter by another mfr? It shouldn't be hard to match the threads.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Robert373
if your guage is "pulsing" as you say, there is a good possibility the bourdon tube in that guage will fatigue and fail from the pulsations. If that happens you will have a sizable oil fountain under your hood.
Robert, I didn't see your response til today. I understand what you are saying and had thought about that. I considered putting an electric gauge with a snubber. Then the second thought was to run a grease gun hose with a snubber, just like we do with the fuel gauges. The thing is, I don't know if the snubber will work with motor oil since it's thicker and dirtier than fuel.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:50 AM

yah, that's my question.. who makes a spin on 2micron filter besides Amsoil?

Quick Reply: Bypass filter question...