3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

boost equals mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost equals mpg?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this post is with the understanding that there is no stupid question. I love my truck, bought it to tow my travel trailer and happy to won my first dodge and diesel. I am nut when it comes to maintanence and such. I added gauges right away, just could not see towing without them, would leave me awake at night. I deleted the muffler for performance and mileage gains, and will add a performance muffler soon. I have the cold air intake in place.

I have been reading a lot of posts on boxes/programers and the like. I would liketo add one just for towing , and any if any mileage gains. I have no need for smoke, burning rubber, or to "waste" someone. Nothing against thoughs that do, just not my thing these days.

My questions are this:

1. It seems that adding pressure is a bad thing for reliability, correct? I was planning to stay away from pressure boxes.

2. It seems that a box after the ECM, is less detectable then a downlaoder if both removed for service?

3. What would you all recommend?

4. Finnally I towed all last summer trying to keep my boost down around 10 psi, changing speed to keep it low. I was assuming the more boost the harder the engine was working so less MPG. It seems my diesel inexperience has shown itself. After reading the threads "getting the most from a stacked third gen" it seems that the more boost the more the timming so better mileage, true, should I be towing in a higher boost level?

Thanks I now that there are many post on these things, I have read them all I think, just want to make sure I am getting it.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the quad standard 65HP, people have had really good results with those.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:50 PM

plug, Your best mileage is when your boost is kept below 6 for empty and 12 for towing. If you can keep it under 10 for towing you are doing great. ks
Old 12-30-2006, 06:45 PM

So far after a bunch of testing, I found the edge juice to be as good as any for towing, I like the feature of being able to adjust on the fly. I wouldnt worry about how much boost is going on, just drive it. Your truck will get good mileage after you put a box on it anyways. I hit over 45 psi while pulling my 5er and dont think twice about it, and still managed over 16 mpg combined on a recent trip through the rockies pulling a 13k 5er

Kevin
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM

The less hp your engine has use to breathe the more it has to tow. The stock turbo is restrictive and the intake manifold also. The timing on the 04.5 and up is retarded.
The money you spend for upgrades will buy a lot of fuel but a htt 62/12 and Smarty will give you a lot better driving truck with much better fuel economy.