3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many brands of performance boxes are there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Question How many brands of performance boxes are there?

So, in my serch to spend loads of money to bomb my truck out, what are all the different types/brands of programmers? I want to be well educated on how I spend my money. I'm kinda leaning toward Edge right now, because it is adjustable on the fly, has the monitor, and lots of HP/Tq with the hot unlock. On the other hand, I'm a , so any advice would be well taken.

TIA

fixintobebrokehat!
Old 12-23-2006, 07:18 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your ultimate goal for hp?

I would just go ahead and get a tst first if I had to do it all over again and anybody that wants to make big power and has tried all the other boxes will tell ya the same.

Programmers and boxes are differant, you need to decide wich one you want or if you want both.

and to answer the thread heading; a bunch.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Edge
Bullydog
Tst
Quadzilla
Banks
Superchips
Van aiken
Predator
Smarty
... just to name a few,
and the list goes on and on and on and on and on.

Good luck with your research. Just buy what you like that has everything you want and enjoy it. Don't stress over which is the best because noone may ever know for sure.
The top 4 in my list all seem to be decent from what I hear and you will see them alot in sigs on this site. Have fun.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by wap
What is your ultimate goal for hp?
Eventually, a lot. After I get my box/programer, my next thing will be a tranny. Then, drugs. I want to be able to use a programer now with my stock tranny, but be able to turn it up/stack it later.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best to start with are the downloader types. bully dog triple dog and smarty are the 2 that i would say are "the best" for lots of power at the high settings with reasonable ones for towing and fuel milage, and they are good to stack with
Old 12-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Since you have an 04.5, the hot unlock thing won't work for you with Edge products.

the turbo timer and the hot unlock code are only available on 06 Juice/Attitudes.

You can send your module back to edge for the HOT program if you decide to do so (and $100 ofcourse). The Hot Juice is the best box except the TST in my opinion. I have had one.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
wap

Yall can quote me if you want but if you want big power start with a tst, 9hp levels, 9tq level, 9 railpressure levels (that I dont use), guages (but I still recomend mechanical), adjustable timin, cooldown timer, 4 differant programs, etc, all in one box. And will stack with almost anything. A downloader will give you the best low end but the whole messin with the ecm still kinda scares me. A hot juice would be my second choice though I have never owned one.

BUT get what you like, if you got the money try em all, I didnt try em all but I did waste a little money, and I should have listened to everyone that told me to quit screwin around and get a tst. If you said moderate power is your goal then I wouldnt be so adiment (sp?) but if big power is what you want go tst.

Somebody back me up on this

Ok Im done now
Old 12-23-2006, 04:10 PM

I am quite pleased with my combination, I have tried many differnt boxes (not the tst or MP8) I am making good HP, and excellent drivability. Another member on here, Streetsmoker, is also running this combination, and he is getting awesome times with a 2 wheel drive on street tires

Kevin
Old 12-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

If big numbers was where I was going, I'd go TST and do some homework on which programmer works best with that.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
wap

Kevin, you are who I had in mind when I said the Hot juice would be my second choice, you and streetsmoker and makein some good power and I cant believe how fast streetsmokers truck is especially to be 2wd.

That is one thing to remember not all trucks are the same, some do better with a BD and some with a smarty, some like the Hot juice and others tst, but for the majority of the people tryin to make good numbers my $ is still on tst.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Is the TST adjustable on the fly? And, can someone give me a good link to them?
Thanks for the info so far... Keep it commin!!
Old 12-23-2006, 04:20 PM
wap

yes it is adjustable on the fly

I think the website is tstproducts.com, yep it is just tried it out.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have given you more advice than i should on other things, but i will advise you to stay away from things that erase the ECM:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=129085

Mad's after mid power (reliably) for his DD.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah, I saw that thread. I have not had a warm fuzzy about the smarty. Nothing personal, just a gut feeling. Guess it's a good thing that I'm broke, so that I don't go out and buy the first shiny thing that I see. (Like someone's BD they tried to sell me... could have caught my ECM on fire on the way home...)
I'm looking at the Edge and TST now, glad that Wap pointed me in that direction. Just trying to save up the $$$. I'm gonna buy the Walbro kit with all the goodies from glacier in the next few weeks. Hopefully by the 1st. Gonna have to take some leave to get everything installed, truck is never shut off for more than an hour. Seems so, anyway.

BTW, more advice than you should have on what, 04?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 PM
wap

04ctd
I thought he said he was after a lot of power..??

madhat, sure you want a lot of power?

Quick Reply: How many brands of performance boxes are there?