3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to kill drone from the Donaldson?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram1driver, glad to hear the new muffler worked out! Actually, I just ordered the MBRP resonator from Lary/the DTR store yestersday. I'm going to relocate the muffler as far back as I can and install the resonator as close to the downpipe as I can. I'll post my findings as soon as I get it all redone. Really wishing I would have gone w/ the M100465 the first time around but oh well....

Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM

I didn't even bother checking to see if there were other donaldson 51" styles lol lol...oh well, not sure which one I've got, but mines awesome, love it! No drone...if so, it's for such a small amount of time.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 PM

Well, got the resonator in the mail last week. It ended up being 4" diameter which was fine b/c I had it installed just after the 4" downpipe. Also had the muffler shop move the Donaldson as far to the rear of the truck as possible.

Anywho, took the truck up into the mountains and back today and it finally sounds how I want it to, which is perfect. Very quiet during normal driving but when I get on it gets a little loud but w/ a nice deep tone.

I'm pretty sure that if I would have only moved the Donaldson to the rear, it would have still droned pretty bad. Funny thing is that there is actually a little bit of drone while idling at a stop light. Kind of sounds cool especially since it goes away as soon as I take off.

So, there you go. I'm not sure how others got away w/ no drone out of this model but I guess I wasn't one of the lucky ones. Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Efil4 that's good news. I got what I wanted with the 100 series Donaldson. Yea, I don't think moving it back would have done anything. I would make sure that you have the
mufflers isolated with hangers and rubber insolators both before and after each muffler/resonator. I went back and added one in front of the Donaldson and it got even quieter. This was a hanger that was left over when I took
out the Hushpro. Heck, I put it on just because I didn't want to waste it and to my suprise it actually made even nicer. I hear my tires on the road and, lol, I might have to
go to some 265/70/R17 street tires.

If you pull a decent sized trailer let us know if you get your drone back. Thanks for reply.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Hey post some pictures of the additional hangers, I may have to do the same thing!!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Yeah, there's hangers galore on my system too.

I just wonder why two identical vehicles can run nearly identical exhaust systems and get completely different results. Beats me.