3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best stack for smarty

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best stack for smarty

Wondering the best stack for the smarty. I have a TST R49 some have said to go with either a mp8 or edge going to be running twins and all the other goodies that go with them.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The TST is a great stack.

MP8 is a good one, but I believe that the TST increases rail pressure also, that is all the MP8 does. (not 100% clear on that)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 PM

I was under the impression that the best was the TNT, but I'll prolly go with something smaller like an edge ez.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The TNT is a tune for the smarty.

The TST is another programmer.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my mp8 as a stack (yes it does raise rail pressure) but being you have a TST I would be keeping that for a stack on pressure only. You would have a little more adjustability.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
The TNT is a tune for the smarty.

The TST is another programmer.
I didn't catch what I wrote.. Replying on my phone. Thanks
So will a good stack for the smarty be an ez? just a pressure box?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like my Van Aaken C3.2 stack. Pure duration.

MikeyB
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I like my Van Aaken C3.2 stack. Pure duration.

MikeyB
I too stack my Van Aaken C3.2 with my Smarty.

What level smarty are you stacking?....I have stacked my out of the box Smarty on levels 2 & 3 with the VA on the middle (65 hp) setting.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
MP8 is a good one, but I believe that the TST increases rail pressure also, that is all the MP8 does. (not 100% clear on that)
the mp8 also increases boost.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I too stack my Van Aaken C3.2 with my Smarty.

What level smarty are you stacking?....I have stacked my out of the box Smarty on levels 2 & 3 with the VA on the middle (65 hp) setting.
I'm running the Smarty on level 1 for daily driving and towing. If I need the power I'll switch the VA to the 130hp level.

MikeyB
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM

stack

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I'm running the Smarty on level 1 for daily driving and towing. If I need the power I'll switch the VA to the 130hp level.

MikeyB
Yes that is the way to go. I will set mine up that way too. I never installed the VA switch on the dash...it is just spooled under the hood & set at 65 hp. I'll have to rig that in too.

I still have not got around to updating my Smarty to current software. You were helping me with that on the other forum. I am headed home for easter & might have a stab at that. I will PM you on the other forum if I need your help.

thanks....dave
Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy jam
Wondering the best stack for the smarty. I have a TST R49 some have said to go with either a mp8 or edge going to be running twins and all the other goodies that go with them.
What year truck do you have? That will determine the best advice.

Mid year 2006 and up cannot run the TST. 03-04, TST is the most effective stack. 04.5 to 06.5 TST is still a good stack, but not as effective (read: lesser amounts of power gain) as it is on 03-04.

Smarty and TST R49 so equipped (it is an option) can both manipulate pressure. For some reason TST does not like modified cp3's (it wants to surge), which, if you are at the power level you want to stack, then you are in the power level that it becomes necessary to have a modified cp3 so the TST version does little good. The Smarty will raise pressure; however, it will only do so up to the limits of stock. (roughly ~24.5k psi) Which brings us to:

Pressure boxes.

There are a few good ones out there. MP-8, edge ez, Quadzilla (forgot which model is pressure alone, but I think all his tuners have it), Dr. Performance, Diablo Power Puck, Banks six-gun and etc... Van Aaken is out of business, so I'll leave them out of the discussion, not that it wasn't a decent product-- it was-- but there are better boxes now and I would rather see you get something that is factory supported.

The thing you need to know about pressure boxes is that continuous use of them, especially at higher levels, will shorten injector life. More so on 04.5 and up than 03-04, but still, they will be more damaged over time. The higher pressures, especially if water or other contaminents are present, contribute to erosion within the injector (without getting into the specifics of what, which is an entire thread on its own) that will cause premature failure.

I am of the opinion that pressure boxes should be left in the off position for daily driving and turned on only for the track, dyno or the need to pass someone on the hwy... then turned off again. In other words, use them judiciously and sparingly!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

Re TST stack

Thanks soulezoo my truck was built apr 06 is ther a pressure box out there that you can turn on & off while driving. I plan on building this truck to 700 -800 hp either going with MPI or Wicked twins any other tips welcome.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rip 112
I love my mp8 as a stack (yes it does raise rail pressure) but being you have a TST I would be keeping that for a stack on pressure only. You would have a little more adjustability.
X2 on the MP-8 love it. pulls like you wouldn't beleave.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As mentioned, be careful of pressure boxes. If ran improperly they have been noted for eating injectors and if stacked with the Smarty and used improperly, can melt a few pistons. Use them wisely.

Quick Reply: Best stack for smarty