3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best programmer/chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best programmer/chip

i have a 2003 dodge 6-speed and was wondering wut u guys thought about the best chip would be for it. it will mostly be a street racing application. i have heard about the tst powermaxcr, and the bullydog and was wondering what would be the best for my application. thank you
Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

do a search!

intend to stay with a stock turbo? if yes, bullydog crazy larry.

If no, TST.

You could go TST either way but with a stock turbo you won't be able to utilize its settings.

Fuel system upgrade required with larger turbo, suggested running crazy larry.

Street racing? tranny upgrades too

oh wait no one street races...thats illegal. dang....
Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM

if i didnt get a stock turbo do you think the tst will give me more get up and go than crazy lary
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM

I think that if you talk to 10 differnet people on here you will get 10 different answers, myself personally I have tried several different units, I like the edge juice w/attitude saves a beginer from having to bust out for guages right off the get go,, as far as a downloader, I would take the diablo predator hands down to the bully dog,, not a fan of the bully dog especially on the 03,, made my tranny shift like crap,, and also you cant get crazy larry for the 03's

Kevin
Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

AH 03 don't have crazy Larry. thanks morkable. so forget about bullydog....

Edge Juice with Attitude is a good pick because, as mentioned, it does have gauges built in. However, its not the fastest unit out there but it is the limit of your factory lift pump and its full of safety features too. Might look at the HOT juice....but you'll need an LP upgrade...and a clutch.

Diablo numbers are few but the owners rave, give it a shot but you won't have gauges.

I wouldn't bother with TST if you don't plan to get a turbo sometime down the road.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM

well it have fp,pyro,and boost gauge so would the tst work since it has fp and pyro would it out perform the others. and if not than y
Old 10-04-2006, 06:04 PM

how is the smarty
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

you can run a tst but you can't go over like setting 3 or so....so why? I would think it would be more tempting to turn it up if you knew you had extra levels there....and then lots of noises happen and you are on the side of the road.

If you don't want the Attitude monitor, get a HOT juice without the attitude monitor. it would use a toggle switch.

Smarty.....here's a debate. I plan to write an in-depth review this weekend after i have driven it for a whole week. the new software is better but i seem to have problems the longer i use it.

but for now, notice i haven't mentioned it.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:16 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had zero problems with heat or fuel pressure with my tst on 6/2 and mp8 on 20-40%. the clutch on the other hand is a differant story. I think I have defueled my truck once at 1400 on a long streach but havent seen my fuel pressure drop below 3-4. I know thats kinda low but it aint 0.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 PM

I run TST and Smarty and the newest TST is even better, nuff said. If you are gonna race go to the track otherwise if you just get one box you are gonna be sucking alot of exhaust. ks
Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wap
I have had zero problems with heat or fuel pressure with my tst on 6/2 and mp8 on 20-40%. the clutch on the other hand is a differant story. I think I have defueled my truck once at 1400 on a long streach but havent seen my fuel pressure drop below 3-4. I know thats kinda low but it aint 0.
ok 6-2 is about as high as you can run it. Wap doesn't the new tst do fuel pressure? why stack the mp8? just wondering.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

You first need to decide what HP level you want to be at and how much money you want to spend on a street racing 6 speed.

First off its very difficult for a 03 6 speed to be quick as in good 1/4 mile times. A equally equipped automatic will always blow the 6 speed away by 1.5-2.5 seconds.

If you want more then 60+ HP then you also need to look into a new clutch to hold the power and a larger turbo to avoid turbo melt down.

I also have a 03 6speed and just bought a Smarty. It only took 1 minute before I smoked the clutch on the 90hp setting and pegged my pyro just as fast. I have since turned it down to the 60hp setting and I'm now saving up for a clutch and turbo so I can use the HP that I paied for.

You have lots of research to do.

Your best friend will be the Search feature.

If you looking for a killer street racer I'd sell your 6 speed and get a 04.5+ auto and then bomb away.

If you decide to change your mind and keep it mild then Ive heard the quad 60hp box is nice and shouldnt tear up your truck too bad.

Onece you start searching you will find enough info on programers to keep you awake at night.

There is a formula that you need to follow with these trucks if you want to keep your truck happy and reliable.

Good luck on the searching
Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 AM

I have both the Super Chips, and the Diablo Sport programmers. Both work fine except the DibloSport runs hot on Extreem My EGTs get to 1480 real quick and In my research you want to stay below 1350. On performance level which is what I run the most Superchips runs outstanding, I only had a .01 difference in 1/4 mile times between Superchips on Performance and Diablo Sport on Extreem. And my EGT's Stayed below 1350. Superchips is just now starting to release the programmer to 2003 CTD's and they are still working on the Extreem level for the programmers.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:39 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My clutch held the 130 hp quad no problems, same with mp8 all the way up. Both would hit 1500 at about 90mph though.

97, about stackin the two. The tst with rp option doesnot feel as strong as the tst/mp8. I have had no dyno time but I have also been told by people that know that it does in fact make more power. But eve if the power was the same the tst/mp8 just feels much smoother to me and I really like the fact that I can adjust my rp with the **** in my dash instead of have to jack around with my R49 remote for a few minutes. If I got 20k lbs behind me or some body pulls up at a redlight and wants some, all I got to do is turn the little dial and it helps me off the line. Plus I got a really good deal on the mp8 and I dont really wont to sell.

I think that is about it, if you have anymore questions, ask.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 AM

My stock clutch has held Hot juice just fine it wasn't untuil I stack the heavy low end fueling of the diablo in the mix that I smoked my clutch. It still holds the hot juice fine but doesn't like to stack too much now.

Quick Reply: best programmer/chip