3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bdpp stacks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bdpp stacks

hey guys i have got the banks six gun with speed loader stacked with my pup now but im going to get rid of the banks. What would be the best box to stack with it?

Edited to remove ad site violation
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 AM

TST
Old 05-05-2005, 11:10 AM

I made 465whp/919tq with BDPP and TST stack on the stock turbo, 5" exhaust, Diesel Dynamics fuel pump.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Whitesport...what settings on both the BDPP and the TST?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 PM

The most TQ was acheived with the BDPP on "performance" (90hp) and the TST on 7/5
The most HP was acheived with the BDPP on "Tow" and the TST on 7/7
I made about 30 pulls testing different combos, these were the best #'s.
The high rpm #'s didn't come up much when the BDPP was added, but the big difference was the low end. When the BDPP was added the low side of the graph was consistently higher than without the BDPP. I like this stack alot because the BDPP is all low end, and the TST is all top end. It balances nicely.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:23 PM

I am all over it...

Those numbers were with you stock turbo too right?
How many miles do you have on that stack? What are your daily settings?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM

must be some pretty wild timing advance , adding TSTs aggressive time fooling to an altered ECM timing table...
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Yes, stock 600 turbo. Been stacked for about 10k miles w/o problem. I drive daily on 5/5 TST, BDPP Performance (90hp). EGT's aren't affected at all, unless you are on the floor. Now that I have my Sledpuller 66, I even tow like this, without issue. I don't think the traffic like the smoke much though.

---I goofed on the max TQ settings....The BDPP was only on "Performance" not Extreme---
Old 05-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Doug...

I think that Piers mentioned that the 3rd Gens are so retarded...timing that is...

Maybe both of the timing advances stacked are ok then. I think I will give Piers a call and see what his take is...whether the stack is only a dyno queen or can really be used safely.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM

What true mileage figures are you netting Whitesport? We have real similar handicaps mileage wise...
Old 05-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Doug...

I think that Piers mentioned that the 3rd Gens are so retarded...timing that is...

Maybe both of the timing advances stacked are ok then. I think I will give Piers a call and see what his take is...whether the stack is only a dyno queen or can really be used safely.

wait -- my brain just had an ahah moment. Turns out I did some experiements comparing EGTs with traditional pressure boxes and the TST. I was out to study the conditions under which the EGT benefit of timing advance may be swamped, taken up or consumed, with duration. In other words, if you open the injector early, but extend its duration by the same amount, then you have acheived zero net timing advance. My results may be relevant to this issue.

I found that the TST generated equivalent exhaust gas temperatures as did a 90 HP pressure box when it (the TST) delivered approximately 90 horsepower with a similar shaped torque curve (level 4/4). while this result is far from suffient rigor , it does suggest that at the higher power levels obtained from extended duration, compounded timing advance may be ok, as only a small amount of fuel is injected very early)
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM

In english, then you're saying that the extra duration the TST has "retards" the timing while extending the injection event. So the BDPP's extra timing isn't all that much when used with added duration.

I'm saying that it doesn't matter, because of the RPM windows that each of these products operates at. You can look at a dyno of a TST vs. BDPP by themselves and see that the BDPP all but defuels back to stock by the time the TST picks up. Trust me, you won't hurt anything, the TST behaves just the same with the BDPP installed as it did before, but you have a little more to get the turbo going down low...

cquestad---> I've gotten a best of 16.8mpg, but most of the time I can't keep my foot out of it, so it's much worse. You will like this combo, trust me. It must be perfectly safe because I run the guts out of my truck with this setup, towing or not... The only damage done is to the back tires. You will love how fast the stock turbo spools with this combo, it gets the TST on it's feet much quicker, but smokes excessively until full boost is attained.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 PM

I'm not concerned about the power blend between the two. Indeed, with the TST's separate TE and HP settings it could proabably blend in with most anything

I'm addressing the timing blend between the two.
on the TST, timing advance is static and agressive. It is my understanding that it advances timing by the same amount regardless of rpm or load. (someone correct this please if I'm wrong):

so I'm saying two things:

1. yes, extra duration retards the otherwise advanced timing, but this point does not occur until you are at WOT on 4/4 on the TST. about 90 HP. at lower settings or a softer foot you have an aggressive net timing advance from the TST only.

2. If the BDDL timing curve is aggressive at low power settings (it doesn't know TST is there), AND you then add TST's static timing advance on top, then you really are putting fuel in there very early. But this condition would only happen at low power usage and for this reason it may not matter. but thats just speculation and I'm not a combustion expert.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM

7x7 on the new program netted 200+ hp on my truck with the below setup. I run the twins program now...6x4 feels even better than that! Whitesport...I am not trying to spool the little stocker anymore...

My setup till takes a second or two to build up to 10-15 psi boost...then it rockets over 40. You can't even read the TST boost display it changes that fast. Now if I could only get it to do that from 0-15...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 AM

My 66 is the same way... and the smoke ROOOLLLLLS until it gets to the point when it lites up. So cquestad, are you going to try it?