3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BD torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD torque converter

Hey everyone, i'm finally starting to get some parts together for my tranny which im really excited about.

i'm going through a certified Goerend builder and have decided on going with a Transgo shift kit(he recommended it and has it in his truck) and i got a good deal on a BD tc along with a deep dish tranny pan and couple of hardware accesories..

Does anyone have any expereince with this TC i just want to know what to expect after getting it. i don't plan on doing any other mod's besides what i have now and i never tow nor look to race a quarter mile on the weekends. i like the idea of having a daily driver with a nice firm tranny feel compared to stock sloppiness.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 PM

my buddy runs one in his 07. he seems to like it. hes not a drag racer either, he uses it to tow 30'+ boats at his job.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 PM

I have a BD TC and valve body, made a world of difference with the truck. Would be the first mod I would do if I bought another auto. Took away all the searching 2-3-2, 3-4-3, It locks up quite nice, firm yet smooth at the same time. When you put your foot into it, and you will, it doesn't hesitate anymore. The power is put to the ground and is not lost like before with the stock trans. BD makes great products but I'm sure others will do the trick, if you do plan on any racing make sure you get a BD flexplate, input, and output shafts as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Sounds good i just want the better state of mind when it comes to holding my current mod's, i just would like a better feel for daily driving and the lower stall should do that. Does anyone know the stall speed of this TC?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 PM

If you are going through a Goerend dealer, just get dave's stuff. His warranty is much better than BD's on the converter. All of his Valve Bodies are tested before they are shipped out, much better than a trans-go kit.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 AM

I had the transgo and now have Daves vb, go with Daves stuff!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM
tcr

I had the BD TC/VB, I would probably use a different TC as the BD I had was not a triple disc, but the BD TC was ok for what it was. The BD VB sucked, I would never use one again, it shifted like stock, JMOs.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. The reason I went with the BD was it was $500 with 10000km's on it. I am thinking about selling my stock TC back and getting an HTS vb or Goerend if somehow i can talk them into a deal. I don't intend to race, i would just like to have power going down through the TC instead of being lost throughout it. BD may not be the best company out there, but i'm sure it will suit my needs as long as i upgrade my VB. I don't beat the crap out of my truck, i just show family and friends what its capable of which their amazed at now, so i believe the Tc will help make them believers in diesel...come to think of it this ford F150 5.4L thinks he can take my 2500 with my stack turned to max...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM

The BD TC will be fine, yes there are other companies out there that make great products as well, but for your needs you'll be well taken care of. I disagree with TCR, my truck shifts nowhere near stock. I have 10k towing with mine and have had no problems, shifts firm. I'm happy with the product, but everyone has different needs and wants from their trucks.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculies
The BD TC will be fine, yes there are other companies out there that make great products as well, but for your needs you'll be well taken care of. I disagree with TCR, my truck shifts nowhere near stock. I have 10k towing with mine and have had no problems, shifts firm. I'm happy with the product, but everyone has different needs and wants from their trucks.
thank you, you've provided me the security of knowing i did the right thing. I'm not looking for a monster to get every last hp for every last dollar but you can't beat that deal for a multi-clutch. i'm getting ancy just waiting for the work.[
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by Ridiculies
I guess I didn't disclose the full story in this thread, I've posted it so many times for so many people I've lost track. I was able to roast the stock forward clutches in my fresh 48RE tranny w/ BD TC & VB in about 30000 miles; this was sadly done w/ 380RWHP. It was not the TC obviously, but the VB does control line pressures and shift quality. After having a real transmission I will continue to say a BD VBs from the factory(unless they've changed) shift too much like stock. JMO and I've ridden in other BD trucks......still not impressed. I would suggest to anyone in the market for a heavy duty transmission ride in multiple trucks w/ a full built transmissions, HD clutches, VB, TC, etc from companies like HTS, Suncoast, Goerend, etc. Then and only then can you make an educated decision on what you want. The reason I'm so uptight about the BD products I used is because they are EXACTLY what the guys at BD and the tranny shop in SA TX told me to get, nothing more. I told them I wanted to handle anything I could do w/ 400-450hp and they told me I'd be fine. Well as you can tell it didn't work out so well!!! Anyway, JMOs guys based on my own experience.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM

thanks very much for the full story i had never read it. It may not be a smart idea but before i install anything, i'm going to get the clutches replaced and am still contemplating a race vb. I would try another tc but i got a great deal on it $500 and can't complain. If it makes the shifting tighter and brings the power on earlier, i'm all game...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by jiggerman78
thanks very much for the full story i had never read it. It may not be a smart idea but before i install anything, i'm going to get the clutches replaced and am still contemplating a race vb. I would try another tc but i got a great deal on it $500 and can't complain. If it makes the shifting tighter and brings the power on earlier, i'm all game...
I doubt you'll have any issues w/ the TC, go for it. I'd just go elsewhere for the VB.