3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

banks6gun stacked with bulldog power pup

Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up banks6gun stacked with bulldog power pup

Has any one stacked the banks 6 gun and bully dog power pup, beside the guy that had the rod knock and turned out to be the injector?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 AM

lets hope not, unless the timing is very well understood first. stacking two timing enhancements together WILL be additive. the banks performs analog timing advance in addition to the timing advance performed by the downloader.

Better to stack the downloader with a simple pressure box. For the pressure concious, stay at 50-70HP from pressure fooling. Otherwise, any of the aggressive pressure boxes should stack nicely without compounding timing advance.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 PM

I did it, well it made a big difference. gdh11 what settings are you using for each?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM

You guys are certainly contributing to the understanding of how enhancements work together over time. I have only the following questions for you guys, and anyone else who stacks two timing enhancements together:

1. what do you know about the additive combination and the total amount of timing advance accomplished by the setup and how does that combination squares with your own acceptable limits

2. what are your acceptable limits to timing advance and how did you know if you got close to them or exceeded them?

3. What is your measure of sucess for the stacked combination and how did you know when you acheived it?

The timing combo may not be any more than a single TST box I dont' know, but how do you know that it isnt' more than a single TST box?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:42 PM

ahh. well you gave one important measurement criteria -- how the engine sounds. with a lot of experience, this can be a very sensitive indicator and probably as good as any for determining the limits you want to explore.

yea, the mfgs usually don't tell you squat. I will say that of all the stacked timing enhancments. the bullydog and the Banks seem the least aggressive. Banks gains about 10 HP from timing, TST about 30, which suggests a significant difference there. So at least when you stack with the Banks you know that the incremental effect is moderate and not extreeme.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't want to do it either without knowing for sure, but that is just me. Given that the truck cranks and runs/sounds OK, it is a pretty good bet it is not too much timing. The TST advances timing as much as 12 degrees, which is not radical in my book. On the earlier engines we ran the timing as much as 17 degrees advanced with no ill effects for many thousands of miles and a lot of folks still do that to this day with their 12 valves.

I don't remember who it was off the top of my head, but someone here did over 500hp with the TST and BDDL stacked. Given that most can't turn the TST up to 9 without loosing power on the dyno because of too much duration, maybe the extra timing from the BDDL was just what the extremely extended injection event from that combo needed. Even with the 12 degrees from the TST, there should still be room for a little more if radical timing doesn't bother you. It would be nice to know exactly what the BDDL and the Banks did for timing, but it is a pretty good bet that together they won't come close to 17 degrees advanced. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if together you still didn't get 12 degrees. Just thinking out loud.

Someone needs to stack the TST with the Banks 6-Gun. I'd like to see that on a dyno.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:56 PM

good comments AK. I've got both of those boxes in my garage, but the Banks/TST stack strikes me as a crap shoot. both are analog time foolers, which means you would have a double timing harness attaching to cam and crank. maybe it would work, who knows! If you're gonna stack timing enhancements, I'd say at least make one of them software, or at least digital like the Edge Juice.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by doug
you would have a double timing harness attaching to cam and crank.
True....true. Didn't think about that. It would be interesting though. Go ahead and try it and let us know.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 PM

doug,
I called southern truck parts to buy injectors and talk to kevin which has been doing dodge diesel mods for years, He told me to stack the two together to get the results i was looking for. I ask him if it was safe and he said that it was, just dont turn both chips all the way up. The only troulbe that he has had out of this is the stock tranny not holding up. But there was a guy that stacked it with the TST turn them both up and blew his turbo. I wouldn't even try to do that.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM

I ran the bullydog on extreme on the first test run. My egts flew out the roof, boost was way high and I turned it as soon as i stopped. I ran the performnce stage for a week and i now have it on the first setting. If I feel the need for more power i will twist the **** on the banks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: banks6gun stacked with bulldog power pup