3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Anyone know how much the dealers charge to reflash a ecu?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know how much the dealers charge to reflash a ecu?

Or maybe know a way to get them to flash it for free? I put the diablo predator on and in performance mode it really just dont have the umph I was hopeing for. About the same as the BD and not much more then stock. So I am thinking its a issue from the previous owner. Maybe a re flash will help at this point not sure. Very little smoke, filter is new. Not sure where to go next???
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

You can reset the ecm by un hooking the batteries. Make sure that both batteries are unhooked then touch the negative and positive together to drain all the power from the caps. Or unhook batteries and leave the key to the on position for about 30 min. Then hook the batteries back up and you should be good to go.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 PM

That resets it, I have done that. But wondering if a previous dl'er was used and left a foot print, or maybe caused some sort of issue, not sure that can be reset.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 PM

they charged me around $75 to re flash with an updated program i didn't notice much of a difference but mine is basicly for the trans only but now it throw odd codes that dosen't pertain to my year truck
Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM

it says in chysler thingy that a reflash takes about 20 mins,most dealrs charge an hour for it.i toook mine in to get the high idle enabled and they hooked her up and turns out ii already had it,they never charged me for it,i never bought the truck from them either.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM

i cant belive you dont notice an dif on performance,have you tried extreme?they also have some wicked tunes on thoer site for free download
Old 06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Does the unhooking the batteries really work in reseting it. I was thinking about getting it done cause i had a bullydog pmt and it did some weird stuff so i retured and got a preadtor/puck. So you think i should have a dealer reset it or just the battery unhooking?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhooking the battery will only reset the APPS. Most codes are still left behind as well. Reflashing the ecm gives it new information in certain areas that contain a glitch or problem. You may already have the newest flash, only way to know is to hook up a scanner and get the part number of the module out with the scanner. Reading the part number on the outside will not do in this case. Where in KY are you at. About a 4.5 hour drive from Louisville, but I'd do the flash for free for ya!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Im just outside Louisville. It might be worth it for me to drive down just to have a pro do it. Wish I knew if this was the issue or, not. If I hold the brake down I can get it to spin the tires, but just stomping it will barly make a chirp. It is better then stock, but just seems a little umphless hehe.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 PM

Mark03Ram, I have an 03 HO with the Bullydog tri dog, and it is not a great deal of difference from stock with power or smoke. (not even close to my buddy's 05 or 06) It is actually just the ticket that I was looking for as I do not want thick black smoke or enough power that I have to replace my clutch ect. I know guys with 05 and newer trucks, and the Bullydog tri dog and other programmers act a lot different on their trucks. They make a huge difference in power and smoke. I think the 03's and 04's just don't respond to this downloader as much and is probably the case with most of them. I do not think reflashing your ECM will do anything different. Have you tried the smarty? a lot of guys like them.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM

That sounds just like my set up, I got the puck as well might have to install that and see how she works. I was also thinking maybe it needs more boost since the 05's use like 10 more psi. But there dont seem to be enough fuel to warrent the extra boost. So at this point not sure whats what.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 AM

There is something wrong with your Triple Dog . I have an 2003 and I have more power than you can believe . On Extream I can power brake and lightem up for as long as it stays in first . You can go there web site and down load upgrades . I have done this three times in the last year . I wonder if you are starving your Injection pump . Because when I punch my truck It blows black .
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definately check all the basics, and get the part number out of the computer before you drive all that way. PM me with the particulars and I am sure we can set something up.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by onetrucker1
There is something wrong with your Triple Dog . I have an 2003 and I have more power than you can believe . On Extream I can power brake and lightem up for as long as it stays in first . You can go there web site and down load upgrades . I have done this three times in the last year . I wonder if you are starving your Injection pump . Because when I punch my truck It blows black .
Do you have any other mods on you truck? I know several others with 03's and 04's that have the Bullydog downloader and they behave the same as mine. like I said, the power is improved over stock, but when compared to the 05's and 06's with the Bullydog triple dog, the increase does not even compare. Some guys that I know have been very frustrated by this and moved on to other downloaders or modifications to get better results.

Generally speaking, from what I can gather, the Bullydog does not perform as well on the 03's and 04's. If you got your 03 to perform near the 05's with the Bulydog, please share what you did so I can pass it on to some others, they will be very appreciative.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM

When I complained of lower mileage than when I first purchased the truck they said it was probably because of the bigger tires. I showed them my table of fuel mileage along with when I put the tires on and it was very clear that it was not related to my tires. It had started decreasing before the bigger tires were put on. The re-flashed the ECM and adjusted it up to what they said was the correct tire size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know how much the dealers charge to reflash a ecu?