3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody running TCI converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running TCI converter?

Ive seen them in Summit and Jegs, but they dont seem to be that popular. They seem awful cheap for a diesel converter. Anybody know how well they hold up?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:58 AM

I saw them to. Id like to know because I can get it at shop rate from Mopac.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 AM

Not apples to apples but I used one in my 1993 W250.Worked as advertised.No issues.I have seen posts about issues with them but after I used one and posted a number of 1st gens owners put them in their trucks and all were happy.Of course my 1st gen was a non lockup.The improvement over stock was a seat of the pants differance.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:42 AM

I'd like to see a "____ HP over stock converter" ad on all this stuff (Trannies incl.) I think some of them do it. I have the Jegs book.& have wondered about TCI & some others. For someone like myself who just has 100 over stock you really don't need much more than stock, just a little insurance feels
good, though.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:44 AM

Before I ordered mine back when I looked up TCI on the web and called them.I remember a nice informitive conversation with someone in their tech dept.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM

bump
bump
Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM

I know it is a bit more but the Suncoast has an $800.00 single disk and Banks is about the same. I think theirs is double disk in the $800.00 range.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
800 for a single??? Too much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM

When I shopped one for my 1993 the cheapest I found was in the $800 range.I paid less the half that for a TCI.My truck was broke down in another state at that time with a broken flex plate.I shopped quickly and ended up drop shipping a TCI to the shop that was repairing it.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM

How did it hold up?They dont specify how much HP/TQ they will handle. Maybe I'll be answering my own question here shortly. Mines about to take a dump.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Had mine about 4 years before I sold the truck.Call TCI and ask for specs etc.Thats what I did before I bought mine.I assume they still have a big web page.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Just got off the phone with TCI - talked to Tony. He said that their single disc is only rated at 800lb/ft of torque and that's a crank rating not a wheel rating. He said for my truck I would need their triple disc. They normaly sell it for $1265, but said over the phone he'd do $1114.
So TCI is not the way to go.
DTT says their single disc will easily hold my turck with the JWA, exhaust, intake, and even if I added more. They quoted me $975 over the phone, but then looking around I found that Massdiesel has it listed for $925. The only one cheaper than that and I have talked to about the holding power is Dunrite. They also said their single disc would hold and it runs $850. I will be calling the places I have not yet talked to over the next few days.
I'll post what I find to be the cheapest (not necessarily the best) of those who claim they will hold 1000lb/ft of torque or so.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Chapter President

Omaha as a word of advice from someone who right now as we speek is in the tranny shop with problems regarding Dunrite's valve buddy kit. To get his 5year warranty you have to get either the shift kit or the full valve body. Do not try to save money by getting the kit and installing it yourself. And don't let him try and talk you out of it either. Insist on it and Go ahead and get the fully assembled valve body. The kit is real cheezy and you have to put aluminum plugs in and drill out holes and grind some valves and such. My tranny guy will never again do another one of Tony's vave buddy kits. His TQ conv. is awsome, I'm just a little disapointed in the engineering of the shift kit. The only reason I went with it is cause at the time I had the work done I only had a few says to work with and Dunrite was out of stock on the fully assembled VB's and couldn't get one shipped in time and he "calmed" my fears about putting a shift kit on the tranny with a VB that had 115,000mi so I siad sure. Now I'm out the door another $350 to diagnose and fix a problem that never should have occured if I had used the complete VB. For more on my continuing saga go to my thread titled:

"Possible Tranny Problem???" on the Engine and Drivetrain board.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Do not try to save money by getting the kit and installing it yourself. And don't let him try and talk you out of it either.

Any updates??
Old 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by omaharam
Just got off the phone with TCI - talked to Tony. He said that their single disc is only rated at 800lb/ft of torque and that's a crank rating not a wheel rating. He said for my truck I would need their triple disc. They normaly sell it for $1265, but said over the phone he'd do $1114.
So TCI is not the way to go.
DTT says their single disc will easily hold my turck with the JWA, exhaust, intake, and even if I added more. They quoted me $975 over the phone, but then looking around I found that Massdiesel has it listed for $925. The only one cheaper than that and I have talked to about the holding power is Dunrite. They also said their single disc would hold and it runs $850. I will be calling the places I have not yet talked to over the next few days.
I'll post what I find to be the cheapest (not necessarily the best) of those who claim they will hold 1000lb/ft of torque or so.
I have a TCI in a 12 valve with 370s, and a 10 plate all the way forward. a Frankenstein shift kit, and a tranny rebuild. Let me tell you, the TCI hasn't even thought about slipping. When it locks at full throttle, it is scary. I am afraid for the shafts in that transmission. I have so much torque that the rubber in my motor mounts is shredded, and I need to replace it. Speaking of which where to get motor mounts? That is another thread, sorry. Next, I will hybrid the turbo, and it can stand up to some more fuel in the form of a GSK.

Quick Reply: Anybody running TCI converter?