3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Another ?? for guys w/ 315s.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I just called BFG line on website and was told 601rpms at 45mph.

wanted some input from people who have not installed the 2" leveling kit regarding mud/snow build-up in frt fender wells causing any steering problems...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:28 PM

I don't have a 2" lift and I haven't had any problems yet except that I like to drive the truck more. You do get some overspray on the side of the truck but I was getting that with the stock tires.
I won't go back to stock.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I have heard of anyone yet that doesn't love the 315s after putting them on. Watch the towing ratings though, not quite as tough as the stock tires ! I have not noticed any snow/ice build up that would impact steering, however, I can’t say I have been looking for it either. The 315s do throw a lot of road debris up onto the side of the truck. They seem to reach out and grab every rock within 20 yards of them . I ended up putting on a set of fender flares…much better, check my member pics, page 2. If you stick to city/highway driving, you may not notice it as much. No 2” leveling kit and no rub at full lock either way. Revs set to 600 even (lazy dealer) and I checked it with a GPS and it is accurate within less than the width of the speedo needle from 10 mph through 90 mph……so maybe .5 of a mph off?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:12 PM

2" lift req's longer shocks.

Originally posted by chrismez
Has anyone put the 2 inch leveling system on their truck after the 315 install? My questions is about the front shocks. Do you need longer ones or will the stock ones work?
Chrismez, you'll need longer shocks. You may be able to get the stock ones to bolt back in place with the lift spacers, but they will not allow your front axle to droop as your suspension articulates. This condition can cause weird/dangerous handling characteristics on the road. The good news is that the shock mounts on solid axle Dodge 4X4's haven't changed since 1994, so you have a lot of shock choices availble. I put the zippy "Edelbrock extreme travel" shocks with the nifty (looking, anyway) oil reservoirs on my 04', mounting the reservoirs to the tops of the coil towers where everyone can bask in their glory. I don't find their ride to be any different than the factory "Off-Road" package shocks that my truck came with, but they were long enough to work with the 2" lift, and again, they look neat.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:26 AM

Dodgezilla & AK Ram,

Thanks for the honest input. I'm in the process of putting up one of those steel/aluminum storage sheds (18x21) and will have to wait a paycheck or two to get the tires..Hopefully the BUshwacker Street Flares will cover most of the road debries along with the mudflaps so I don't have to get the extend-a-flares..
Old 02-03-2004, 10:29 AM

Odering 315's thru AAFEES

Okay, I just ordered the BGF 31570R17's thru the AAFES web site (ordertire.com)...including shipping and handling to my door is $561.00...Then the post AAFEES Tire shop will mount them and give me a road hazard warranty, which meets Tire Racks, today price of $123. The normal price for the tire, if you walked into the AAFES Tire Shop and asked is $200. It'll be another $18 per tire for lifetime mount/balance/rotation/road hazard thru AAFES. I have a bad habit of getting Mesquite thorns into my sidewalls everytime I go hunting here in Texas (every other month or so), so the $18 to me is a good deal and now I'll have a tire shop locally that will handle everything...

If you order the tires from TIRE RACK, who will honor any road hazard warranty that you purchase? I couldn't find anyone who would honor the road hazard locally, because you were ordering the tires off the Internet from Tire Rack, which is nothing but a big warehouse...

Just food for thought for any military or retired types around having run into this problem....

Website and 1800 number: http://www.ordertire.com/shop/shop-main.cfm
Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 PM

Lift ?

Sorry kind of new at this but do you need the 2" leveler for the 315s. Where can one find a kit ? How much ?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There seem to be hundreds of web sites that sell the leveling kits. Just search the internet for "Dodge Leveling Kit" and you will get more pages than you care to look at. Usually run about $150 a set.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Odering 315's thru AAFEES

Originally posted by rossn2
Okay, I just ordered the BGF 31570R17's thru the AAFES web site (ordertire.com)...including shipping and handling to my door is $561.00...Then the post AAFEES Tire shop will mount them and give me a road hazard warranty, which meets Tire Racks, today price of $123. The normal price for the tire, if you walked into the AAFES Tire Shop and asked is $200. It'll be another $18 per tire for lifetime mount/balance/rotation/road hazard thru AAFES. I have a bad habit of getting Mesquite thorns into my sidewalls everytime I go hunting here in Texas (every other month or so), so the $18 to me is a good deal and now I'll have a tire shop locally that will handle everything...

If you order the tires from TIRE RACK, who will honor any road hazard warranty that you purchase? I couldn't find anyone who would honor the road hazard locally, because you were ordering the tires off the Internet from Tire Rack, which is nothing but a big warehouse...

Just food for thought for any military or retired types around having run into this problem....

Website and 1800 number: http://www.ordertire.com/shop/shop-main.cfm

How did you get them to price-match online? Army boy wants to know. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 AM

When you navigate to the AAFEES homepage and the automotive and tire section, the url will change to ORDERTIRE.com. I called the 1800-842-4135 number and told the lady, very friendly and helpful, that I was trying to buy the BFG 31570R17's and that TIRERACK has them for $123.00. SHe said they would match the price. So, I don't know if they surf the internet for the different sites or what....And, if you have an AAFEES credit card, I believe you can get free shipping to your house too. Don't quote my on that, free shipping may only apply to 16" and below tires....
ANyhow, I called the on post AAFEES Tire shop and they said "YES" they will mount/balance/road hazard etc for $18. Apparently, on posts' tire shops have contracts with local tire dealers and have to go by the local price, whereas ordertire.com is the contracting office for the automotive division of AAFEES and that's why they matched tireracks price. Don't know if I'm making any sense or not...

Oh, stopped by local Dodge dealer and they said no problem reprogramming ECM for me for larger tires...$32.50 for 30 min work.

Hopefully they won't rub and I won't have to install the 2"leveling kit (found on internet for $129.00 if needed).

So good luck....
Old 02-04-2004, 08:23 AM

"315's on mine no rubbing yet, lowered the back 2.5 inches,,,,,,I got them siped and makes the 4x4 act like a 4x2 in the wet or frozen conditions. trucks level and fits barely into the garage."

Pardon the ignorance, but I don't know what "Siped" means and how did you/why did you lower the back end?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Rossn2:
A sipe is a small cut in the tire tread running from one side to the other. This is done around the entire tire, though usually only through the footprint of the tire. The sipe creates extra traction both on and off road, wet and dry. Reduces stopping distance. Reduces road noise. Helps tire last longer. Siping was originally done on Semi's but is getting more popular with the off-road crowd.

It seems that those folks that are lowering their back end are removing a spacer block that resides between the leaf spring and spring pad.

diirk
Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Okay, where did you get it done?

Would like to know expected tire life of the 315's? Has anyone had them on for a while?

Quick Reply: Another ?? for guys w/ 315s.....