3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

American Racing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops, you are right Gary, I breezed in and looked around then hooked 'em, should have investigated a little further.

I had to chuckle when I read your earlier statement about having been to hell and back on this issue. I've read some of your posts in other threads, I know you've done extensive research and your disappointment is justified.

Not sure about the center caps from the prior body style but it's a thought. That's one thing that intrigued me about Vaughns conversation with Weld Racing. My current set of Weld Typhoons have a lug nut cover which is attached to the wheel with (2) stainless steel allen head screws. I think Weld would offer a lug cover kit for our trucks if they are serious about bringing out the wheels we need (backspacing and center hole wise)

As stated in my intial post in this thread, we are a small audience but will grow as these trucks continue to be produced!

Dang deep backspacing and 122mm center hole!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 PM

Gary....I'm not sure what tire I'm going to go with, 285 or 315's. This probably won't be settled for sure until I take delivery of my truck and am able to measure the garage door clearance. Also, I'm not exactly clear on the issue of aftermarket wheels with 315's, does the decrease in wheel backspacing, coupled with the bigger 315 tire insure the need for 2" coil spring spacers or not?

It seems that putting 315's on the stock wheels works for some just fine, while others have rubbing issues.

Thank goodness for the Forums as they provide a ton of information as well as help pass the time while waiting for the truck. I was really hoping to find a 17x8 or 17x8.5 with very close to factory backspacing and just go with 285's to be safe. The more I read about how the 315's enhance the look of those huge fenderwells though, I'm really considering going with the taller tire (assuming I have the garage door clearance)

One of my customers manages a Discount Tire store between Dallas and Ft. Worth, I usually buy my tires and wheels from him. I'll keep your offer in mind, just too early for me to hone in on a decision.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WELD WHEELS

Sorry for leaving you hanging guys!

Read all about it here on TDR: FINALLY- Wheels for 3rd Gens

I called ARE today. The moron that answered the phone was all like "nope, don't got anything other than 4.5" backspace." Me: "So don't you get guys wanting wheels for their HD Rams?" "Nope. No one's asked for them." The guy didn't give a rat's behind about what I wanted.

I say HOUND THEM. . . (310) 604-1071
Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by doug
11 pics coming your way. you get the good ones that have not been hacked down to 200k!
Thanks Doug, I got em. The 4WPW guy was trying to tell me the RIMS would hit the suspension. That's just BS. I'm kicking my self for trusting his knowledge. Seems if you don't do it yourself its nearly always f'ed up.

GT
Old 02-05-2004, 07:53 AM

Vaughn, thanks for the link to the thread on TDR. There is some good news there, Weld is willing to listen to Kent @ TRex and manufacture a wheel with the correct backspacing.

I do have some trepidation regarding the 18 x 8.5 size however. I was expecting 17 x 8. Currently, who is manufacturing all terrain tires for 18's?

The other part that troubles me is the thread reports they are currently available but those people contacted at Weld (so far) don't know anything about it. Hopefully, the person whom Kent has been dealing with there will be revealed and this deal can get off the ground.

American Racing has no idea what is going on. They have yet to answer my e-mail (not holding my breath) and seem to have no interest in making a wheel of the proper fitment for Generation 3's.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Dont have the cash as of yet for new wheels but I still have been pondering the same issues.

I really like the look of 20's with and all terain tire. I even read somewhere BFG has a 285 20, BUT I havent been able to find any? Maybe I was wrong.

I will settle for a 17'' or 18'' if I have to but just like the look of 20's.

And I agree with most here the tire need to stay inside the fenders!!! So stock or close to stock backspacing is a must.

You know all these Escallades and Denalies have 20's and still inside the fenders ????? To bad they are 6 lug !!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by TexasZach
Vaughn, thanks for the link to the thread on TDR. There is some good news there, Weld is willing to listen to Kent @ TRex and manufacture a wheel with the correct backspacing.

I do have some trepidation regarding the 18 x 8.5 size however. I was expecting 17 x 8. Currently, who is manufacturing all terrain tires for 18's?

The other part that troubles me is the thread reports they are currently available but those people contacted at Weld (so far) don't know anything about it. Hopefully, the person whom Kent has been dealing with there will be revealed and this deal can get off the ground.

American Racing has no idea what is going on. They have yet to answer my e-mail (not holding my breath) and seem to have no interest in making a wheel of the proper fitment for Generation 3's.

there are more choices for 18 than 17 check toyo and nitto.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:20 PM

Smile

04Ram2500, a nice 20" is 305/55/20, it's still beefy enough to fill the wheelwells and not look sport truckish and it has a good weight rating (around 3100 lbs.). Weight Rating is what you really need to keep an eye on, I would suggest 3000 lbs Min.

For me I know EXACTLY what's going on my 2-wheel drive Ram 3500: Wheels between 18x8" & 18x9" with Terra Grappler 285/60/18s

Vaughn
Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM

Smile More Tires

I see there's a decent selection of 305/50/20" tires available and most have a a weight rating over 3000 lbs. For instance Cooper has 2 tires in this size, Zeon XST and Discoverer H/T, at 3086 lb rating (that's a solid D rating).
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/selectorSize2.asp

Falken's 305/50/20s are also 3086 lbs.

BFGoodrich has a 285/65/18 (notice 65 vs 60 aspect ratio) with a solid 3195 lbs rating. Their only 20" is huge, 325/60/20.
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/selectorSize2.asp

Vaughn
Old 02-06-2004, 05:47 PM

Really like the Octane 8 also. So am I right by saying a 17 x 8 , 18 x 8 or 20 x 8 with 5.625 will only stick out 1/2'' futher than stock. If that is the case I would love a set. Now all I need is the $2000 for wheels and another G for tires.

aaahhhh the joy of owning nice stuff

Do keep us informed on price, you never know this is tax season.

Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2004, 05:53 PM

Really like the Octane 8 also. So am I right by saying a 17 x 8 , 18 x 8 or 20 x 8 with 5.625 will only stick out 1/2'' futher than stock. If that is the case I would love a set. Now all I need is the $2000 for wheels and another G for tires.

aaahhhh the joy of owning nice stuff

Do keep us informed on price, you never know this is tax season.

Thanks guys
Old 02-07-2004, 07:23 AM

Morning Guys,

I'm down in New Orleans for a few days, family death not party time. Can't tell you how much the Forum helps when needing some diversion and good fellowship.

Gary brings up a very good point regarding larger diameter wheels. Jesse James made that same statement a few months ago on Monster Garage. You need bigger brakes with some of the extremely tall wheels on the market. Wonder if Dodge upgrades the brake systems on the 1/2 tons with the factory equipped 20's.

BFG has 3 sizes of All Terrains in 20". Go the their web site and download the PDF chart SPECIFICATION chart, they show them there. Don't know if all three are currently in production or coming products, really doesn't indicate.

Until I get take delivery of the truck, I'm going to wait on any tire and wheel decisions, so I can check that all important (to me) garage clearance. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep gathering info. The perfect scenario would be for SOMEONE to realize that a 17 x 8, 6.25" backspaced wheel with a 122 mm center hole has a market out here.

I'd also like to know how to predetermine if 315's will rub on a truck before making that jump. Guess I could start another futile movement, a national campaign for taller garage doors.

Quick Reply: American Racing Wheels