3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6-gnd my 03: Can't get grin off face

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-gnd my 03: Can't get grin off face

Bit the financial bullet and purchased a Banks 6 gun Bundle for my 03 HO 6spd 2wd 2500. Thought I'd share my experiences with you good people here in case you have curiosity.

The only mod I've done to my "stock" truck was to cut the complete bottom out of the stock air cleaner box. I got fed up with the hassle of finding replacements (ie, I had to go the dealer) and frequency of changes (unusable at 10K miles, and I drive in the city to boot).

In stock form, picture a 2 lane highway. Running about 60, the passing lane clears, and I floor it. Ol Blue goes "mmmMMMM' like an electric train set. Nice even acceleration. Some time later, ;-), up to 80, time to pull in, and I let up and the truck surges forward. Cool, wish it pulled like that all the time 8-/ . Then I get to where, when I pass, I floor it and ease up gradually to get that briskness, you know? Last vechicle I owned was a 2003 Z-28, before that, a 96 Ram 360 with a Vortech Supercharger. This 2500 accleratess like a pig, but could pull down a house.

On goes a Banks 6 gun bundle. Folks, follow the directions, read them, word for word. If I had, then I wouldn't have had to: 1) disconnect my Jacobs exhaust brake, cause the turbo outline pipe replaces the stock cast iron elbow coming out of the turbo, 2) get the suggested tools, else I wouldn't have to go back into the truck the second time cause I didn't have a box end 15mm to undo the turbo so I could drill the manifold for the pyrometer, 3) make a run to Home Depot after I broke 2 hacksaw blades cutting the stock exhaust system off, seeing my SkilSaw sitting there with a wood cutting blade (mercy).

I put on the Monster exhaust in 3 hours (regardless of my lack of preparation). The thing just slips together and bolts up. Professional design. Everything should be this easy.

The electronics took me a day, but I took my time. One bashed fingernail and I was done. Getting the wiring harness through the firewall grommet takes quite a bit of intensity. I know lots of curse words, and I used them all ;-)

The gauges took surprisingly less than an hour; however, I wussed out and didn't install the pyro sensor, just laid it against the exhaust manifold, because, I went ahead and ordered the proper turbo outlet pipe so I can reconnect my exhaust brake (I tow a 25' 8K# 5th wheel). Also, the speed loader won't work with the pyro sensor attached, so I figured I'd hook it all up, save myself some time later, and just keep my foot out of it until then,

I won't give numbers on differences between stock and level 6. Rather, something you may relate to:

I set the Banks switch to 6 (max, overkill is good for you ;-)). 60mph, as before, time to pass. Floor it.

The truck kinda snaps up on its honches, like, well, those of you of my generation (70s), its like hammering a big block and the car kinda sits up on the suspension?, and the Cummins goes 'AAAAAAAAH-AAAA!" instead of 'mmmm', the turbo gauge swings up to 30psi, all at the same time pressing me back into the seat. God, I can't get this silly grin off my face....... I'm guessing zero to 60 in seven, pulls harder than my 360 with the blower!

So, I'm at a red light. This guy pulls up in a 4th gen Z=28. I've had one, so I'm admiring it, and he looks at me and give me like a reverse Ram nod (you guys may know this, I see Ram owners nod down at each other in passing, a courtesy thing, like motorcycle riders wave to each other...), and I'm like, ok highbrow man, and I snick Ol Blue into 3rd, pull the revs up to 1300 and wait.....GREEN! and I lay 2 black marks across the intersection. Ol Z beside me had the same idea, and he's even with me through 3rd. I've got a short shifter kit in my Ram, but heck, it just won't shift fast enough ;-).... at the end of a long city block, I'm running close to 65, and the Z is about 3 lengths ahead of me. I say 3 lengths, cause I could see the whites of his eyes in his rearview.......

This was worth the $2200 I paid for this. Shame takes so much these days to go fast. Oh, yeah, I'm seeing about a 10% increase in gas mileage, as long as I can keep my foot out of it.

Any detail questions, email me at spinlocker@yahoo.com.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:21 PM

How is the exhaust note with the monster exhaust

I'm debating o getting one but I like the fact that these things are quiet
Old 09-17-2004, 03:02 AM

Nice story. It kept me interested.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:03 AM

SuperGewl, the exhaust on mine is a little quieter at idle compared to stock. Not much difference loud wise zero to 70, but tone wise, less harsh. Up over 70mph, it is louder, but deeper and mellow. I usually have to turn up the radio a couple of clicks.

Oh, sorry, the speed loader will NOT work wirh the pyro sensor disconnected.

Got the part to reconnect my Jacobs brake back on. All it is is a 12" of straight 4" pipe with the O-ring flange on one and the other expanded and slotted. No instructions. Looks easy enough to figure out. $67 (ouch!). Wish I'd kept my old system to cannibilize.

Ran my country quarter mile yesterday (you know, "its 1/4 mile from this road to that telephone pole"). 90mph.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Got the "adapter for the exhaust brake" yesterday. Feel the need to let you good folks know this....

The Banks "adapter" to connect the warranty approved Jacobs Exhaust Brake will not allow you to connect the Monster Exhaust without a bit of welding. As bolted up to the Jacobs, the Banks adapter will send the flow directly into the passenger side frame rail.

I got the "adapter" pipe. So, I've reinstalled my Jacobs brake, and I'm under the truck, holding the 14" adapter pipe, a 4" piece of straight pipe, up against the outlet side of the Jacobs, arms all up around frame, trying to tighten the Dodge exhaust clamp with my right hand. My left arm gets tired, and I let go the left to rest: the clamp pops and this pipe comes toward my face: all I had time for was to turn my head to the right: the beeach caught me at the left eye socket. Glove up on my head, blood everywhere, I'm like, well, guess THIS one won't stop by itself ;-). Here I am, at home alone, truck is dead in the water, Lasix 3 months ago and I've got blood in my eye, and I've got to be at work in 4 hours. Half an hour later with help of an ice pack and SuperGlue, I'm back under my rig......

Ended up having to go to a muffler shop to get them to weld up the "adapter" to the cut Monster Exhaust turbo outlet pipe. At least he didn't charge me a dumas fee ;-))))

If I'd used my usual install kit (ie, beer), I would most likely be one eye less. You'd think at 50 with turning wrenches in my blood, I'd know better by now 8-/

But, hey, it runs like the wind!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM

Congrats on getting the exhaust ironed out (without the loss of an eye)... I know its early but any info yet on what the banks has done for fuel efficiency? Does it throw the overhead off like some boxes seem to? I am thinking about buying the 6 gun in the next few days but want a little more info to go on first... Thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 03:29 PM

I ran the six gun w/o the speed loader down to salt lake city and back (700 miles). lots of 75 mph driving. no perceivable mpg improvement. With the speed loader you don't have the chance to check mileage 'cuz you're to busy smiling. the thing runs like a greased pig.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:55 PM

I like the grin idea ; )

But had hoped with the timing increase there would be a mileage improvement... perhaps its not enough to really be note worthy..
Old 09-24-2004, 07:52 PM

spinlocker,

Do you know what temps the 6 gun starts to defuel at?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:09 AM

The mpg on my truck only increases running level 6 w/ speed loader, that is, if I keep my foot out of it. About 10% at steady 60mph on the flats. My overhead computer is optimistic, reads 27mpg when its around 25 at the pump.

I can't get the EGTS up high enough to see where the cutoff point is. Full honk 1/4 mile style peaks around 1200. I'm sure towing my 5th wheel may drive that up some, weezel see.

I can relate to the greased pig: I feel like I should be driving it with my big toe only
Old 09-29-2004, 09:09 PM

Talking

Well i just purchased a Banks Six gun w/ Speed loader... So im hoping it arrives before the weekend and I get to experience "The Big Grin" myself.

Any input on installation that might help as i hear this thing can be a bear to install???

Any more feedback on towing and egts yet?

By how much does it throw off the overhead computer? is it a set number or does it just freak out on you?

Thanks for any info...
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 PM

Review statements above. In summary, read every word of the instructions, follow to the letter: you won't be sorry.

I broke up my install in stages: Monster exhaust, electronics, pyro sensor. Worse part was running the Banks harness through the firewall grommet. Connecting the harness to the camshaft connector was a close second. Installing the Big Head Wastegate took some innovation: I used an old bicycle pump to pressurize it during the install process, it just popped right on then!

If you decide to run without installing the pyro sensor in the manifold, you still have to wire it up if the 6gun is connected to the Speed Loader (or your 6gun doesn't do anything), and I'd recommend keeping your foot out of it until you get the sensor in the manifold. Let us know how you fare.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:11 AM

The speed loader will not fuel until it sees 200 degrees on the thermocouple. you gotta install it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 PM

I found on my 600 that it easier to pull the ex man rather than the turbo, i tried
but it was resting on the motor mount. other than that still got a big smile,noticed
more smoke with speedloader,smoke is good hahahah

Quick Reply: 6-gnd my 03: Can't get grin off face