3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

48re to NV5600?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48re to NV5600?

Well, I've been biding my time with my auto, constantly kicking myself in the head for not getting a manual in the first place, so I've pretty much decided to swap in a 6spd. I figure I need the following things:

Nv5600 and bellhousing
doubledisk clutch
Clutch pedal assy. w/ master cyl and hose
Shorter rear driveshaft
Longer front driveshaft
Longer transfercase shiftrod

That's just hard-parts. There is still the wiring thing (as I'm pretty sure there is a temp sensor, as well as a neutral switch (not worried about that switch honestly)).
Maybe a 6-spd ecu.

I don't know of anyone who has done this, but I plan on calling around trying to find a shop that has. If anyone has heard of it or has any input, please let me know
Thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 09:25 PM

I kick myself at time as well. I looked into the possibility of a switch last fall. It took me about 2 seconds to realize that it would be MUCH cheaper to trade trucks. The only way it would even be close to being cost effective would be to find someone with an NV5600 thats wants an auto and would be willing to trade. Good luck with that.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Tire Hater

Well my truck is kind of beat up, as it's a ranchtruck, I'd easily loose 7grand on a trade-in with it, and I'd have to find a replacement i/c since my plastic one blew up. So for me, it's more cost-effective to do a conversion.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Don't do it. Build that auto instead!

I kick myself for having bought a manual. Ever try to race a ricer with an NV5600? I've got plenty of power, but I still have a hard time unless I'm rolling. My buddy's new automatic Tacoma spanks my CTD off the line. If I can make some boost, though, he's sucking smoke. Roll-ons are great, but I'd still like to hit the lockup switch and pin it in an auto instead of rowing gears.

Since it's so expensive to switch, I pretty much gave up on the idea and bought a DD clutch instead.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:55 PM

im with JC on this one. the grass is always greener it seems. love the stick but would love a built auto to. turbo spools up nice and hard and then guess what.........it's time to shift AGAIN. anyway good luck with your choice john.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Do the 6 speed. Sounds like a great idea. I converted a 2nd gen to a 5 speed, yours is probably more involved, but same idea. The wiring's easy enough. One surprise I found was that the transfer case needed a different size input shaft to mate with the NV4500. (47RH has a smaller output shaft.)
Your truck may not be an issue. I ended up using the same PCM- it didn't seem to care (another surprise) try it and see.
Good luck with the project.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Tire Hater

Well I don't really care about the shifting part, this is my first auto vehicle and still catch myself about to hit the e-brake every now and again. I'd rather have a 6spd and a good clutch, I can deal with the shifting. I just need to know more about the conversion
Old 02-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Take it from someone who has asked this question a dozen times, you will much prefer having a built auto than try to do the swap. Hey, why don't you just weld the gears in your tranny together like you did the rear diff on that one car.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:42 PM

I have looked into the swap because I'm like you I pull so much in the hills that I would love a ex-brake. Hate the auto. I did find a couple of wrecked trucks with the 6er but was still looking at about 4500 to 5500 and you still either have to have the dealer rework you ECM or swap it out also. If you do it please keep track of all your parts and steps because I still may do it. LOL
Old 02-27-2006, 04:37 AM

I know it is not the same but still an auto to manual conversion. I did this with a Mustang GT. I had both cars sitting side by side, it took about 10 hours broke up over 5 days after work. I don't think it would be hard at all with the parts, these trucks are built to be either. It might be expensive but I say go for it. If you can find someone that wants an auto might be even easier.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with the others that say build the auto. Take that beat up tranny you have that you have been pushing 550 hp through and go spend some money on a fully built DTT. John, your tranny has been very impressive, given that it is stock. I have seen your videos and pics and burnouts...etc....and your tranny made a believer out of me on just how tuff the 48RE really is.

For the money you are going to spend to do the swap, you could get a tranny guy to build yours up right.....then you can burn out all you want, drag race or whatever. You can't spank any ricers while rowing gears. My 2 cents.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Tire Hater

My deal is, a 6spd is basically bulletproof even with 600whp. A comparable built auto would run at least 6grand (billet shafts, multi-disk converter) and even then people still break shafts. I figure I can do the swap for 4,500 including a giant dualdisk clutch.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just remember the NV5600 is out of production now so parts will be harder to come by later on. Unless someone starts making replacement parts again.

MikeyB
Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 AM

John, check out ebay, I have seen some nv5600s on there for great prices. And by the way I wish I had a built auto about 50% of the time, even though I love the 6spd. But if you do the swap you'll love rowing the gears and chirping the tires everytime you shift, just like an old muscle car.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Rodriguez
My deal is, a 6spd is basically bulletproof even with 600whp. A comparable built auto would run at least 6grand (billet shafts, multi-disk converter) and even then people still break shafts. I figure I can do the swap for 4,500 including a giant dualdisk clutch.
I have yet to hear of a single person running a built to the hilt DTT break anything no matter how much power they are putting through it.

Quick Reply: 48re to NV5600?