3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Exhaust Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Exhaust Opinions

I am wanting to get a little noise out of my exhaust, as I have had the truck for a while now, and listened for the noises associated with the truck.

I am wanting a good sounding exhaust for my truck, but I am wondering at what point you really need the 4". I had one installed on my 01, but never really needed it.

I am planning on going to about 400-500 RWHP. I think I have read that the stock exhaust is good till 450?? If so then I will shoot for 425 and save the $300-400 and put towards other things, also the other thing would be EGT. I guess all will be left to EGT's in the end...

anyway, I would like some ideas of mufflers that give these 3rd gens a better sound...I am not crazy about the MBRP muffler. I had the diamond eye on my 01, and it gave it that deep tone, that was awesome.

Just sifting for ideas...
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 AM

The stock exhaust on your 03 is not good for that hp amount. Ours came with 3.5" exhaust till after the muffler then it turned to 4". The newer trucks have a true 4" exhaust which is much better.
If you want the best performance from an exhaust, either get a turbo elbow from a newer truck (4" in and out versus your stock 4" in 3.5" out) and get a turbo back exhaust, OR I got a Banks 4" downpipe and made my own 4" exhaust with parts from the big truck supply. You can reuse your stock tailpipe if you cut a small section off of it. The tailpipe starts at 3.5" and flares out to 4"..
Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 PM

i have an email into Rip at source automotive now, as he is the one I bought the exhaust from for my 01.5. Great prices there...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Remember though, you can get a 4" turbo back exhaust but if you still use the stock elbow you're kind of wasting your time because it is 3.5" at the outlet. What you need is an exhaust that bolts directly to the turbo, which doesn't exist, or that 4" elbow. This, of course, is if you want all the benefits of the bigger exhaust. It will still sound good even with the stock elbow......
Old 08-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience, all the exhaust will give you is more noise. I didn't drop any significant EGT by adding the full 4" whatsoever, maybe 20 degrees? Basically they make noise and make you feel like you've completed a necessary mod on your truck. My vote is for a different muffler and leave it alone until you make some major power. If you are going to go 550+hp and do twins or a huge turbo, you'll want 5" anyway..
Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 03 muffler only looked like it was 3.5". After I cut it out, I looked inside and both pipes were choked down to 3", about 6" in from the ends. Craig
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM

When I installed my Banks downpipe my temps dropped 100 degrees. I'd say that was worth my time. My temps never go above 1300 degrees now even on a long hard pull. I can't complain about that......
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

If you do some type of chip, tuner, or programmer addons, you will need to get concerned about EGT's. Exhaust and a cold air induction both help.

They say when you go to like 400-450 horsepower 4" pipe is good. 500-550 then 5" is good and 6" for anything over that. Some companies claim to have a drop of 100-200 degrees depending on who you go with. Magnaflow has an exhaust, as well as bullydog, borla and gibson. I have a BD and it does the job for me, but I'm not a big sound guy. I just wanted something to work good.

Just some thoughts.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
I am wanting to get a little noise out of my exhaust, as I have had the truck for a while now, and listened for the noises associated with the truck.

I am wanting a good sounding exhaust for my truck, but I am wondering at what point you really need the 4". I had one installed on my 01, but never really needed it.

I am planning on going to about 400-500 RWHP. I think I have read that the stock exhaust is good till 450?? If so then I will shoot for 425 and save the $300-400 and put towards other things, also the other thing would be EGT. I guess all will be left to EGT's in the end...

anyway, I would like some ideas of mufflers that give these 3rd gens a better sound...I am not crazy about the MBRP muffler. I had the diamond eye on my 01, and it gave it that deep tone, that was awesome.

Just sifting for ideas...
You Like your dads truck and the straight pipe? Do the easy thing and just go straight. Isnt it funny how we talk bout the same things every month or so Zilla
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 AM

I guess that's what keeps things rolling here...

5" is great but some of the top perf mfrs that are making much more than 550hp still run just 4" exhausts. Makes you wonder if 5" is worth it. It does look cool too. 6" is just ridiculously big!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
You Like your dads truck and the straight pipe? Do the easy thing and just go straight. Isnt it funny how we talk bout the same things every month or so Zilla

I need to update my sig, Dad's truck is now an 02 2500 4x4 qc. The other one was to loud as a straight pipe, and sounded like crap after take off. I like deep tone, not high raspy noise...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
I need to update my sig, Dad's truck is now an 02 2500 4x4 qc. The other one was to loud as a straight pipe, and sounded like crap after take off. I like deep tone, not high raspy noise...
Could there be reason there is a difference in sound of 03 trucks that are straight piped? Cause I will tell you with out a doubt my truck dosent make raspy noise pal. In fact I wish we could meet up on a strip so I could blow by you and your snotty attitude and your muffler loving truck. Now that thats off my chest and I am cooled down ... I have had mine done for close to 2 years and have dragged and pulled in maybe 13 different locations (28 competitions) and everyone wants to know about my exhaust and what I did to get it to sound that way. I tell them its straight pipe welded in. It dosent sound raspy-its extremly deep toned. It has an authoritative sound and is distinctly different than 2nd gen exhaust but I will guarantee you it dont sound the way you describe a 3rd gen sounds.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 AM

I agree! Mine sounded great straight piped but it was just too loud when I got into it. Other than that, I loved it.......
Old 08-18-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have a early built '03 it could already have a 4" elbow. Like mine.

MikeyB
Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=Dan Marino]Could there be reason there is a difference in sound of 03 trucks that are straight piped? Cause I will tell you with out a doubt my truck dosent make raspy noise pal. In fact I wish we could meet up on a strip so I could blow by you and your snotty attitude and your muffler loving truck.

Oh boy, here we go with people who can't hold their tongues...

#1, yes there is a reason, it is called Common Rail Injection.

I said that the stright pipe, sounded raspy AFTER take off. At take off, I like the way it sounds, but after take off when the CR sound pitch hits, it does not sound good, and I am entitled to what --I-- think. I am sorry if that gets your panties in a wad, I will call your local roto rooter to come help you get them out. Okay now that AI got that off my chest.

If you will go to aero exhaust, www.aeroexhaust.com ,and listen at their sound files, you can hear what I think sounds like a good tone, that will not hurt my nieces and nephews ears when they are in the back seat of my truck. If I were the only one to ride in the truck most of the time, then I would have stacks, but I have infants and toddlers that I love a lot, and they will one day learn a many Redneck things from me, but I am not going to compromise their hearing either by being a DA.

Quick Reply: 03 Exhaust Opinions