3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03-04 vs. 04.5+ CR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsmokestacks
The 04' runs lower egt's, and better mpg's. Both had 6" stacks and the 04 sounds better, no rasp to it.
You ain't lying, buddy!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
well those huge tires killed about 1.5-2 miles per gallon.. you need a good dowloader to get your engine running more efficient.. Once you do that, and keep your foot out of it, you will see mileage come up. If you just want mileage, the Big G plug and play box guarantees a certain amount of gain, so if it doesn't get you that much, send it back for a refund.
I assume you are suggesting a smarty, which confirms what I'd been thinking, I was just hoping to get out of it a little cheaper. The smarty website did say that the california truck they tested did show more improvement than the other trucks.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mattf
My '04 is from California and has an nv4500, and my mileage blows. I get about 14.5 90/10 hwy/city. If anybody knows a good way to get this ISB 235 to run, let me know.
I would definetly look into your gear ratio's, when you upsize the tires like that you take away from the rpm's, you will loose power.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ScienceOfSpeed
i like the fact that the 03-04 has a throttle cable, the 04.5- 07 have the throttle positioning sensor and no throttle cable, call me old school but i am not a fan of the sensor activating my throttle. yeah the 03-04 throttle cable assemblys look more cluttered than the 04.5-07 but i guess there is give and take with everything
The 04.5 have the throttle cable also.....I have one.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM

My '04 is from California and has an nv4500, and my mileage blows. I get about 14.5 90/10 hwy/city. If anybody knows a good way to get this ISB 235 to run, let me know.
those a local guy that dynoed 525 out of his 03 5spd with a tst/ats downloader stacked, he will chime in. well silverbullet turbo also. the trk was stock other than that. so you can get power out of it.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM

I know the engine has potential, and now that I'm finished making it breathe I can look into the electronics aspect. I don't want to ruin the truck, I still have to drive it to work everyday, and I can't break the bank either, I'm a poor soldier. But I love my truck and want to be able to smoke all these powerstrokes runnin' around on post. Also, my rearend is a 3.73
Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM

I know the engine has potential, and now that I'm finished making it breathe I can look into the electronics aspect. I don't want to ruin the truck, I still have to drive it to work everyday, and I can't break the bank either, I'm a poor soldier. But I love my truck and want to be able to smoke all these powerstrokes runnin' around on post. Also, my rearend is a 3.73
well I know the feeling Im not exactly loaded myself I got a personal loan to build my tranny. I work full time to pay for my stuff nobody helps me out. I run a smarty for power right now and I like it. it will put out some smoke if you want it to. I have ran edge, bully dog, tst before and all of them make good power. just dont buy anything banks and you should be fine. guys on here say that the diablosport stuff works really good on the 03/04 trks but I dont know if it works on the cali edition. the stuff is reasonably priced too.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:43 PM

it all depends on what power stroke it is. some 6.0s run pretty good with not much on them, even thought I think the motor is junk. the 7.3 has to have alot of parts to dyno anything. all depends on what they are. I have a buudy with tons of parts on his 7.3 and it still doesnt have 400 at the wheels. I put down 80 more hp than him on the smarty with no other power adders
Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM

Its good to hear that I'm not the only one on here that can't buy every thing he wants for his truck. I'm hoping to go on another deployment fairly quickly so I can make some money. But I have been looking at the smarty pretty hard for the right now, it has a great rep 'round here, and the smarty site says it makes for power on a cali truck than the rest, resulting for my detune I suppose. There is a diy propane set up in this forum called homemade propane or something that looks real cool, I'm just worried about drilling into my $400 banks airbox that didn't do sh*t for me, not to mention blowing up a truck that I'll be paying on for the next 8 years.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM

There are +'s and -'s from what Ive read between the 03-04 and the 04.5+'s! I personally think the 04 I have drives great, and seems to have a more simplistic mindset. No kitty, gets better gas mileage, and doesnt have a ton of electronic stuff on it compared to the brand new trucks.

The newer trucks have the 3rd injection even, which helps with adding power, but as far as longevity, they are all the same.