3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 with fuel pressure issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 with fuel pressure issues.

newly registered, but not really new to the board- have been looking for help last couple years on this board to fix my pile when its down.

HISTORY:

said truck is a 2001 6 speed SRW / 19.5"s 4x4 basically stock with juice / attitude added on with about 179K on the clock Truck is mostly used to tow a 12k enclosed goosneck through the mountains so i work it pretty hard but keep a sane eye on fuel pressure and egts while doing it on level 2 tow mode. holds 72 with the cruse pretty good at 10-11mpg the way i tow. I dont beat it or race it and its ususally on 1 while empty, 2 towing, and occasionally 3 for driving around city ****** at hondas. truck has good power and no DTC's present in a long while.

PROBLEM:

last couple weeks upon startup (no starting issues) at idle my fuel pressure will be very eradic like 28 psi then 4 then 20 then 2, and after a couple blips of the throttle or a couple gear shifts, it would be fine at 12-16psi for even a 6 hour towing trip. a restart in the same day would have no issue. only after it sat for 1-2 days. also, when i would "bump" the starter the lift would show about 26psi without the engine running.

MY ATTEMPT AT FIX:

i thought it might be the over flow valve sticking shut (high pressure) and then sticking open (low pressure) so i changed that with a dealer part (56$ with seals). let the truck sit for 2 days, and "bumped" the starter twice. both times showing steady 22psi. I then changed out the overflow valve, and upon "bump" of the starter i saw 14psi! both times! thought i was golden and set out for the 500mile weekend towing trip! was fine 250miles there, 2 days it sat and upon start was fine, good stable pressure, but then half way home it started to get flakey up and down and up and down again.

CURRENT STATUS:

This morning to my short work drive it said 30 psi! a couple times up and down. now i am worried i read about blown diaphrams from too much lift pressure....

not sure where to go. i can get an OEM lift pump warrantied out for free, or should i be looking at a different problem / solution. if the LP was bad why would it have blips of high pressure? air leak? fuel filtration problem? VP44 problem?

yes i am aware of aftermarket lift pump solutions, that is not my question of which is best.

thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 PM

If you are seeing that much pressure with a stock LP, then I would suspect a gauge problem. Have you checked the readings with another gauge? Also you would probably get better response if you posted in the second generation forums.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM

aw crap, well maybe the mods can move it for me. gues i have been looking at too many 3rd gens for sale today

i have one of the amber idiot lights i can hook up that the dealer ripped out without asking me, i would figure the juice sender to be pretty good but i guess thats worth a shot. seems to respond well to load though.