Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   01 with fuel pressure issues. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/01-fuel-pressure-issues-296319/)

SmichaelR22 10-17-2011 04:02 PM

01 with fuel pressure issues.

newly registered, but not really new to the board- have been looking for help last couple years on this board to fix my pile when its down.

HISTORY:

said truck is a 2001 6 speed SRW / 19.5"s 4x4 basically stock with juice / attitude added on with about 179K on the clock Truck is mostly used to tow a 12k enclosed goosneck through the mountains so i work it pretty hard but keep a sane eye on fuel pressure and egts while doing it on level 2 tow mode. holds 72 with the cruse pretty good at 10-11mpg the way i tow. I dont beat it or race it and its ususally on 1 while empty, 2 towing, and occasionally 3 for driving around city ****** at hondas. truck has good power and no DTC's present in a long while.

PROBLEM:

last couple weeks upon startup (no starting issues) at idle my fuel pressure will be very eradic like 28 psi then 4 then 20 then 2, and after a couple blips of the throttle or a couple gear shifts, it would be fine at 12-16psi for even a 6 hour towing trip. a restart in the same day would have no issue. only after it sat for 1-2 days. also, when i would "bump" the starter the lift would show about 26psi without the engine running.

MY ATTEMPT AT FIX:

i thought it might be the over flow valve sticking shut (high pressure) and then sticking open (low pressure) so i changed that with a dealer part (56$ with seals). let the truck sit for 2 days, and "bumped" the starter twice. both times showing steady 22psi. I then changed out the overflow valve, and upon "bump" of the starter i saw 14psi! both times! thought i was golden and set out for the 500mile weekend towing trip! was fine 250miles there, 2 days it sat and upon start was fine, good stable pressure, but then half way home it started to get flakey up and down and up and down again. [dummy]

CURRENT STATUS:

This morning to my short work drive it said 30 psi! a couple times up and down. now i am worried i read about blown diaphrams from too much lift pressure....

not sure where to go. i can get an OEM lift pump warrantied out for free, or should i be looking at a different problem / solution. if the LP was bad why would it have blips of high pressure? air leak? fuel filtration problem? VP44 problem?

yes i am aware of aftermarket lift pump solutions, that is not my question of which is best.

thanks in advance.
Mike

kreynolds 10-17-2011 04:41 PM

If you are seeing that much pressure with a stock LP, then I would suspect a gauge problem. Have you checked the readings with another gauge? Also you would probably get better response if you posted in the second generation forums.

SmichaelR22 10-17-2011 04:45 PM

aw crap, well maybe the mods can move it for me. gues i have been looking at too many 3rd gens for sale today :)

i have one of the amber idiot lights i can hook up that the dealer ripped out without asking me, i would figure the juice sender to be pretty good but i guess thats worth a shot. seems to respond well to load though.