3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

*I powder coated my Stock wheels this week, take a look*

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish someone around here would do it for $35 a wheel. That looks fantastic.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boz007
I wish someone around here would do it for $35 a wheel. That looks fantastic.
Thanks

I had a friend who started a Powder coating business so he hooked me up
I had other quotes for 50 bucks a wheel and that included sand blasting.. still a good deal IMO

Mark

Awesome, ill trad ya my H2s for em

Nice I like it.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1qckdodge
Awesome, ill trad ya my H2s for em
no thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 PM

nice

That's a nice ride you got there Did you have the place where you got your tires take the tires off the rims? How much down time did you have? I'm looking to do this too but I don't have a spare car and it's kinda chilly on the motorcycle, even in Phoenix I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to transport my 4 wheels in the vw. It would be sweet if the powder coater could do it all on site then you could just drop the truck off for the day, but that's probably not going to happen.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by br6ad
That's a nice ride you got there Did you have the place where you got your tires take the tires off the rims? How much down time did you have? I'm looking to do this too but I don't have a spare car and it's kinda chilly on the motorcycle, even in Phoenix I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to transport my 4 wheels in the vw. It would be sweet if the powder coater could do it all on site then you could just drop the truck off for the day, but that's probably not going to happen.
My dad's shop is right by the powder coaters place so I drove the truck to my dads and took the wheels and tires off, then I went to my bother in laws shop(BIL) and took the tires off the wheels myself. I borrowed my dads 91.5 CTD to the transporting. my truck was down for 2.5 days.
you need to grab a phone book and look up powder coating places and just call them to find out. I bet there is a shop that will do it all for you...just call around to a few places.
it must have been my B-day last week because I ended up taking the wheels to a different place to install the wheels and tires because the BIL's shop does not have a tire machine that does not scratch wheels.
but I ran into a old friend that I had not seen in while and he mounted and balanced the wheels and tires for FREE!!
I was lucky on that part...

BTW make sure you have the wheels and tires static balanced so the weights are not showing on the outside of the wheels.

Mark
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 AM

That looks awesome. I will do the cheapo version of that, which is taking the chrome covers off of the black steel rims. Nice truck. Hey did you ever look at the diff. to see if it had a posi?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by jmccart
That looks awesome. I will do the cheapo version of that, which is taking the chrome covers off of the black steel rims. Nice truck. Hey did you ever look at the diff. to see if it had a posi?
No, I have not got under there yet I will update that other thread when I do.
Ive been busy doing fun stuff like powder coating wheels!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:39 AM

the wheels look sweet and really like the chrome caps. For your front windows maybe you can get away with a very light tint 15% wont look that dark but will not look as clear. I know the laws on windows are a pain but you do have to follow the rules if they are inforcing them. I have 35% on mine and at the right angle it looks really dark but then move a bit and you can still see in. I had really dark 5% on a car and the cop told me that I had to remove it but if you had the window dipped from factory the tint will be ok since its not a film. Just something to consider. Sweet looking truck!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Travs94Ram
the wheels look sweet and really like the chrome caps. For your front windows maybe you can get away with a very light tint 15% wont look that dark but will not look as clear. I know the laws on windows are a pain but you do have to follow the rules if they are inforcing them. I have 35% on mine and at the right angle it looks really dark but then move a bit and you can still see in. I had really dark 5% on a car and the cop told me that I had to remove it but if you had the window dipped from factory the tint will be ok since its not a film. Just something to consider. Sweet looking truck!
they have a light(legal) tint on them right now!!! the back windows are limo tint.

I hate getting pulled over for dumb stuff so I just play along..
we also HAVE to have front license plates.
now I am waiting to get a mud flap ticket!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Well after seeing pic's of the powder-coated black stock wheels that Member "TexasCTD" had I decided to do the same to my stock wheels.
...............................Mark

Mark, I am glad I could offer you an idea! You have a beautiful truck! Your powdercoater did awesome work too.

It always makes me feel good to pass along an idea or assistance any way possible. I will give the original credit to the powdercoating idea to members "moterhead", "Tommeygun", and CQuestad (only his are H2's). And NRiver and I discussed it for a while last year too.

I have gone back and forth about the with/without center caps, but I always go back to having them on. Here are my pics of the same wheels powderoated black, but on a black truck. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0&ppuser=31499

Truck is looking great Mark....................Keep up the good work!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Thanks Robert,
and thanks to the other powder coating wheel guy's on here too.
"moterhead", "Tommeygun", "CQuestad" And "NRiver"

this is what a great forum is all about helping others, sharing idea's and tech info.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:32 AM

I'm mad at you 53, because now I definetly have to do that to my stockers!!! Texas is to blame for my inspiration as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Mark, they look AWESOME!! I totally agree that the chrome center caps totally set it off! You're wheels were originally chrome, right? If so, what prep work was involved in the powdercoating process, if any??

Quick Reply: *I powder coated my Stock wheels this week, take a look*